MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

227e back panel hook up ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 227e back panel hook up ?
radams
Can anyone tell me the right way to hook up the breakout panel to 227e
I don't want to blow it up !

Trying to hook this up the right way before powering it up . It came like this

there are two multi pin connectors side by side on the left of the pcb
the cable is connected to the one on the right

it seems like the break out only fits in the same spot like this

this leaves the left multi pin connector open for the original cable which can now fit like this

this seems to be the only way it fits together - the mic preamp is on the 3 pin connector on the bottom

is this correct ? Thanks[/img]
radams
somebody has to know the answer here

how do you hook up the back panel breakout ?

is the picture above correct ?
ndkent

I have an older 227e. It's the inside of the 2 headers and looks like your third picture. But again, mine is a different build. You can see the ribbon in my picture going down to the breakout. Rev3 7/05 with the intentionally leaky "vactrols"[/img]
momo
I think for a nominal fee BEMI will upgrade any vactrol based 227e to the most recent design - it seems it entails a daughterboard swap out. You'd lose the irregular gain across the four main channels and the interplay between the swirl LED's are not as organically hypnotising as on the vactrol version which is a pity since I find that one of the prettiest of light shows.

And as an aside on the topic of the breakout panel, I wish they were assembled with the envelope follower cable a little longer since I found that the one on mine was a little too perfectly sized making module removal / replacing a bit of a pain. So I redid it a week ago. The original wiring can be seen at left:

Minimoog56
Hey could alaways come over and I coulda showed you.
radams
Well , the 227e I got seems totally screwed .
Same behavior with the breakout connected or disconnected.
Led's across the top all are lit with no signal plugged in .
Signal will only pass through channel D .
Some signal bleed in channel C but no volume .
Checked both front and rear outs .
Same both ways .
When U turn up the volume control for channel D the mic preamp envelope put led's activate from low high to overload with the volume knob of channel B .
I have a 206e in the system and it is working fine .
I'm pretty sure I've tested all the possible connections and knob configurations . Think this will have to go back .
Pretty disappointed .
Minimoog56
Bemi sale karma.

If you want to bring it over we could tryin my system.

d'oh!
stega
Try a firmware update? Always worth a shot if its already fucked...
radams
Thanks guys
I'll give both options a try
Busy tomorrow PB ?
Minimoog56
Got firmware so come on over in the PM. Not toolate but after noon. Sad to see QC up to recent standards. Got your copy of IDOW for you. Jeez.
radams
It was more fun when bad quality control was finding Don's grocery list inside your module !
Minimoog56
Or blotter.
stega
Minimoog56 wrote:
Or blotter.

Yea man wink lol
traffkin
hey there! might sound obsolete, but does anybody know what cubic optocouplers are used in this "vactrol"-based version? i obtained old 227e and have some issues with the second channel's right output

ndkent wrote:

I have an older 227e. It's the inside of the 2 headers and looks like your third picture. But again, mine is a different build. You can see the ribbon in my picture going down to the breakout. Rev3 7/05 with the intentionally leaky "vactrols"[/img]
divisionbyzero
traffkin wrote:
hey there! might sound obsolete, but does anybody know what cubic optocouplers are used in this "vactrol"-based version? i obtained old 227e and have some issues with the second channel's right output

do you mean the part number for the ldrs or what's underneath the 4 plastic covers?
traffkin
exactly. but i think now that they are the same as the open couplers, which doesn't help a lot... still wondering who's responsible for right front channel of the section #2... will greatly appreciate any opinion!

divisionbyzero wrote:
traffkin wrote:

do you mean the part number for the ldrs or what's underneath the 4 plastic covers?
divisionbyzero
traffkin wrote:
exactly. but i think now that they are the same as the open couplers, which doesn't help a lot... still wondering who's responsible for right front channel of the section #2... will greatly appreciate any opinion!

the led/ldr pairs under the plastic control the individual input channels.

the ones that are visible but have the paper dividers control the outputs - there are 4 of these for each input channel.

so it's been way too long but i'm looking at the schematics and:

if you have a problem with all inputs on a single output channel the issue is likely under the plastic covers. also you should verify if the issue happens in headphones and in the indivudal outs / sub bus outs - this can help narrow it down.

if you have a problem with a single input then the problem is likely the exposed leds/ldr pairs. channel 1 is v5/v6, channel 2 is v7/v8, channel 3 is v9/v10, channel 4 is v11/v12.
traffkin
thank you very much!!! i'll investigate the problem more deeply and get back but at first glance it seems the problem is with the single input #2 and with its right out which is around 18db quieter than the left one

divisionbyzero wrote:
traffkin wrote:

the led/ldr pairs under the plastic control the individual input channels.

the ones that are visible but have the paper dividers control the outputs - there are 4 of these for each input channel.

so it's been way too long but i'm looking at the schematics and:

if you have a problem with all inputs on a single output channel the issue is likely under the plastic covers. also you should verify if the issue happens in headphones and in the indivudal outs / sub bus outs - this can help narrow it down.

if you have a problem with a single input then the problem is likely the exposed leds/ldr pairs. channel 1 is v5/v6, channel 2 is v7/v8, channel 3 is v9/v10, channel 4 is v11/v12.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1