MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Euro Manufacturer for a Complete System?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Best Euro Manufacturer for a Complete System?
bwhittington
I realize no one really seems to do this, and I don't plan to start the trend, but hypothetically, if you had to limit yourself to a single Euro manufacturer for a complete system which would it be? And, naturally, why? I'm curious which brands' modules feel most like components of an integrated design philosophy, versus ones you would pick-and-choose for your Frankensynth.

Cheers,
Brian
computer controlled
Seems like Doepfer is the most obvious choice. But MFB makes some fine modules as well. I'm sure you could get away with a complete system from The Harvestman. That would be pretty esoteric and sound cool as hell.

Though if i HAD to chose one manufacturer, it would probably be Doepfer. They have the most to chose from.
Scaff
I would take a system with all released Cwejman stuff if i had the cash....
dougcl
Makenoise, because the QMMG and MATHs are about 80% of what you need, and the rest is just a matter of time.
wetterberg
Right now with no regard to money I'd say Cwejman. In very short time it'll be Malekko though, with all the cool Wiard things, really coming together well like a proper system. And yes, a qmmg, maths and woggle would be fun in any situation.
computer controlled
d'oh!

Forgot aboot Cwejman!
Johnisfaster
wetterberg wrote:
Right now with no regard to money I'd say Cwejman. In very short time it'll be Malekko though, with all the cool Wiard things, really coming together well like a proper system. And yes, a qmmg, maths and woggle would be fun in any situation.

I'm curious actually, are we expecting a lot of these new module makers to eventually add simple utilities to their line up? up till now I always sorta expected them to not make things like mults and standard mixers n' what not but it seems logical that they would eventually want to design their own full system.. hm..
chinard
Plan B?

(hides)
wetterberg
@john cwejman already has a fantastic mixer, the vca-4mx and some other mixing modules. They even do a 219usd quad attenuator module, hehehe.
mateo
Depends how complete you want your system... very few manufacturers make sequencers, for example. If you're looking to cover *all* the bases, Doepfer is best, with Analogue Systems close behind.
chinard
so far everything i have bought from cwejman has just been fantastic quality.
They are more expensive than the average euro manufacturer but in the grand scheme of things you would be paying gads more if it were buchla.

Malekko is really churning out alot of grant richter stuff lately and has almost enough stuff for a complete system.

Makenoise is the shit. I mean really, with a couple of maths, a qmmg, a wogglebug, and a mod-demod you DO have a complete system. (hell for minimal setup, maths+qmmg is all you need)
(IIRC - the DSG can be used as a oct/v oscillator can it not?)

Other than that you have your usual players, doepfer, asys, asol, mfb that have complete systems..
...and of course plan B as i kinda half/jokingly stuck in there earlier... Despite the drama, he does have a rather complete linup... lets just leave it at that.
astroschnautzer
I would say the harvestman.
bwhittington
Interesting responses so far, particularly since I was just confessing to one of my 5U brethren that my wandering eye had gazed upon Cwejman and Malekko recently.

By complete system I meant more modules that work together as a functional group more than do they have a mult, attentuator, etc. I was remembering an Alessandro Cortini interview where he mentions a Buchla remark about limiting oneself to a manufacturer to sort of work within the paradigm (and its constraints) of one designer. I believe as a result he had Buchla and Harvestman modules at the time and largely patched them independently.

In that sense, I was wondering about groupings of a manufacturer's modules that worked well together by design, and also somewhat completely as a system.

Cheers,
Brian
dude
a nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat if you know what i mean.
Johnisfaster
wetterberg wrote:
@john cwejman already has a fantastic mixer, the vca-4mx and some other mixing modules. They even do a 219usd quad attenuator module, hehehe.

I realize cwejman does, I just never imagined that harvestman and makenoise were ever gonna start doing simple utilities to complete a system. But I guess it seems logical they eventually will.
dougcl
dude wrote:
a nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat if you know what i mean.

Say no more!
droolmaster0
The question is a difficult one, and luckily we labor under no such restriction.

If you're not even allowed to stray into other manufacturer's for a sequencer, then, i think that the answer is clearly Doepfer. But even if you exclude sequencers, it's a choice that I'm glad I don't have to make. There aren't enough modules from most manufacturers, so again - if I HAD to choose, I'd probably choose Doepfer because I could still build up a large varied system with their modules.

Maybe a better version would be - if all of your sound sources and modifiers could be from one company, which would it be. That way you could choose various control options from various companies, but only choose SOUND from one. In that case, all in all, I'd probably go with Cwejman.

But - this question will never actually arise in anyone's decision making process, I think.
timmah
Doepfer, ASys or Cwejman.
REwire
It'd be Plan-B or ASystems. ASystems has one of everything you need and some super amazing effects and midi modules. For overall sound though, Plan-B's M15 is still my fav osc and the M12 my fav filter. With M10's, ELF LFO's, M13 and others, a whole system can be made. But I'd still side with ASystems beause the RS-95's are great and they have full ADSR's and sequencers. In fact, when I discovered Big City Music in '05, I first bought a 9U ASys system. Cwejman and Doepfer would be last for me as I don't care much for the Osc and Filters as much. ASolutions would get third as they have enough to do it all.

Hopes that Harvestman, Malekko and MakeNoise get enough to do a complete system.
computer controlled
The thing about A.Sol is that the VCO2 module i had had DC offset on all the waveforms. So i'd be wondering if all their VCOs had this.
science
Funny... I was actually thinking about this just a little while ago.

I'm thinking I'm going to end up with a Harvestman rack, a Malekko/Wiard rack, and maybe a 3U "best of the rest" rack. The idea of it really appeals to me. I think it would make the systems feel more like instruments, instead of random clusters of modules with entirely different ideas for layout/control.
NV
It's easy to fantasize about racks dedicated to some of the smaller manufacturers, but realistically if I had to choose just one manufacturer for an entire system it'd be Doepfer all the way.

I love Harvestman's designs, but I don't know what I'd do without an envelope or VCA.

MakeNoise is brilliant, but I'd miss a standard 1v/oct oscillator or a waveshaper.

Cwejman has great build and functional quality, but still lacks sequencing, clocking, and logic.

I'm sure you could build a very interesting rack of only Harvestman/MakeNoise/whatever, but as far as a truly versatile and "complete" system I'd say ASys and Doepfer are the two most realistic options, and Doepfer wins for me due to the sheer amount of both utility and esoteric modules.
kidtesla
Livewire currently...MacBeth when a few more X-Series modules are released.
jenamu6
Malekko Wiard of course.

The Noisering and The Anti oscillator rule so hard.
Add a Borg and the envelator or anti envellope........and you're rocking out.
Jari Jokinen
Artwork and panel layouts aside, don't all Euro modules work rather well together?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2