MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

dumb question/asys freq shifter - what screws for doepfer cs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author dumb question/asys freq shifter - what screws for doepfer cs
droolmaster0
So, I got this thing used, and the screws that came with it do not screw in properly to a doepfer case. The regular doepfer screws don't even fit through the modules screw holes - the holes are rather small....

I haven't had this issue with other asys modules.

Has anyone installed one of these in a doepfer case - I'm really not going to lug the whole case and module to the hardware store (I'm on foot). Then these are going to be installed in a monorocket case, and I don't have any idea whether it will be a fit there either....shit.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
droolmaster0
I've never used a drill in my life (sad but true) and I'm not going to start with a ridiculous expensive module, although I just spoke to Roger at BCM, and that is apparently the only way to get this to work. So, then the question is whether the monorocket case will be any different.
chinard
I have read this before about asys modules not lining up with the standard doepfer/schroff europac rails.
Vector rails dont have this problem cause of the sliding nuts. (monorocket uses these)

simple answer is to drill or ream the holes on your asys module to fit. Since you have a monorocket on the way, i would just wait a bit before modifying a high end module like that.
droolmaster0
chinard wrote:
I have read this before about asys modules not lining up with the standard doepfer/schroff europac rails.
Vector rails dont have this problem cause of the sliding nuts. (monorocket uses these)

simple answer is to drill or ream the holes on your asys module to fit. Since you have a monorocket on the way, i would just wait a bit before modifying a high end module like that.

No - this isn't the usual issue of the modules not lining up exactly. The actual screw holes on this module are smaller than on the other asys modules.
you want to buy my AS rack?! hihi
chinard
droolmaster0 wrote:
No - this isn't the usual issue of the modules not lining up exactly. The actual screw holes on this module are smaller than on the other asys modules.

ok, i stand corrected then.
Dont actually have any asys in my rig just yet, so i havent seen the problem up close and personal.

I think i remember reading that the monorocket rails are supposed to mount up cleanly with the asys modules. I wonder if this includes the dia of the mounting hole... Like i said, best ask one of them to confirm that your new case is going to have compatible mounting screws.
If it were me i would avoid drilling out that freq shift at all costs. I would email Steve R or Shawn at AH and ask about the mounting screws.
droolmaster0
right - the monorocket rails are supposed to work more cleanly with asys modules, but that isn't the problem with this module. The screw holes are smaller on this module.
droolmaster0
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
you want to buy my AS rack?! hihi

Don't want to start throwing $ at this - kind of defeats the purpose of getting 2 lexington cases, and finding the freq shifter used.

I'm still confident that we'll find some kind of solution....maybe.
dkcg
droolmaster0 wrote:
right - the monorocket rails are supposed to work more cleanly with asys modules, but that isn't the problem with this module. The screw holes are smaller on this module.

It may work since the screws I have for my Lexington are slightly smaller than the doepfer screws, but a tiny bit bigger than ASys screws. I'm not sure how big the hoels in the freqShifter are, but the 290 and expansion fit w.o modification. However, the 6 and 9u cases might not be deep enough for the freqshifter. I'm not sure how deep it is, but I assume it's fairly deep.

IF they don't work, go to a hobby shop or by the dremel section at a hardware store and you should be able to find a set of small metal files that could widen the holes much more safely than a drill. I widen any holes that need to be wider that way. Even the Dremel is too rough in my opinion.
droolmaster0
Well, Shawn and Steve are actually going to deliver my Lexingon cases next week - they are both here for the analog heaven yearly thing....

Shawn's going to talk to Steve, and try to come up with a solution. I'm really rather incompetent with tools (just haven't done much of this kind of thing) and I'd be really nervous about modifying such an expensive module. Shawn (got it from AH used) thought that would probably not be the best idea either.

So, I'm hoping that there will be a solution next week.
in the mean time, use tape!!
droolmaster0

LOL - maybe I'll try that! Nice suggestion.
SynthBaron

Some of that red extra-strong double sided tape should hold up just fine.
chinard
needs to be duck-tape...
REwire
I both filed the holes in my Bode Shifter bigger and wider to get it to line up next to my Doepfer ones. A round mini file is what I use to mod all my Asys modules. Yes, it's expensive. The worst you could do (As I did) is slip and run the file across the surface of the faceplate. No biggy, this is a keeper.
droolmaster0
REwire wrote:
I both filed the holes in my Bode Shifter bigger and wider to get it to line up next to my Doepfer ones. A round mini file is what I use to mod all my Asys modules. Yes, it's expensive. The worst you could do (As I did) is slip and run the file across the surface of the faceplate. No biggy, this is a keeper.

yeah - damn (holy fuck) - it's taped on right now, but this thing just sounds amazing. Definitely a keeper. If worse comes to worse, I guess I'll try something like that.
dkcg
Lets hear this thing! I know it blows the CWejman out of the water. I wanna hear you get your freq on! eek!
ignatius
i had to use a drill for the one asys module i have. was no big deal. just get a tiny bit. make sure your battery is charged and you just have to sort of elongate the hole to the left or right depending on what you are doing. just stick the bit in the hole and push to the side.. move in and out.. sort of route it around a bit. it's just like highschool. Mr. Green

i only did it to two holes and it was annoying but was the only way to get the module into the rack and it looks fine. basically it just makes the holes look like the ones on the malekko modules.
NV
A drill or dremel is the best solution for module mounting hole issues (copyrighted by ASys), but if you would rather not use a power tool then a small round file like REwire suggested should do the trick; all it takes is a bit of work. You could also remove the front panel from the circuit for extra security by unscrewing the nuts from the jacks and pots, then you won't run the risk of your drill taking you for a ride through PCB pastures.

You can find jeweler's files in various places for very cheap, and they should work just fine for the small amount of filing you'll need.
ignatius
NV wrote:
You could also remove the front panel from the circuit for extra security by unscrewing the nuts from the jacks and pots, then you won't run the risk of your drill taking you for a ride through PCB pastures.

that'd be tough on some of those Asys modules which have some kind of hard ass epoxy connecting them to the faceplate. d'oh!
dkcg wrote:
Lets hear this thing! I know it blows the CWejman out of the water. I wanna hear you get your freq on! eek!

really?

I heard the AS has clock bleed through where as the cwejman does not.

ignatius wrote:
NV wrote:
You could also remove the front panel from the circuit for extra security by unscrewing the nuts from the jacks and pots, then you won't run the risk of your drill taking you for a ride through PCB pastures.

that'd be tough on some of those Asys modules which have some kind of hard ass epoxy connecting them to the faceplate. d'oh!

I can assure you this is true.

who wants to by my RS30 freq -> voltage module?

haha

its to fund an RS35
Cat-A-Tonic
dkcg wrote:

really?
I heard the AS has clock bleed through where as the cwejman does not.

I would imagine it depends on how both of them are calibrated.
...about the bleed-thru that is.

I love how Cwejman makes all of the trimpots easily accessible on the back and labels them.
daverj
My understanding is that Asys uses 2.5mm screws (0.098") while Doepfer uses 3mm (0.118"). I could be wrong but got the impression from something I read that Monorocket uses 4-40 screws (0.112")

If true, then it's possible those screws will fit through the holes even though the Doepfer ones don't. Or at least would take less adjustment to the hole size with a file to make them fit.
AS screws are slightly smaller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2