MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

i'm Back to (Salt) Etching
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author i'm Back to (Salt) Etching
haiku-ish
i'm Back to Salt Etching nanners
etched 25 mn

water, salt, power supply 1A, 9V
piece of inox or the like....
raisinbag
Wow that is a pretty pedal. I really like that design. What do you use for transfer paper? I have had hit it miss (mostly miss) results using glossy photo paper, or glossy magazine paper but having problems having the toner to stick to metal. I am sanding metal, cleaning with acetone but still, only parts if the toner stick after ironing and soaking.
I havnt true pnp yet, maybe that's the magic bullet.
Anyway that design and execution looks amazing.
haiku-ish
Thanks!
i'm using custom made vinyl stickers (like the ones used for car advertising...)
i'm making batch of them at a store own by a friend.

it is easy but you can't have small details.
raisinbag
Oh that's a great idea!
haiku-ish
i had some good results with chloride acid but not every time.

i had to etch some pedals this morning with my kid, so i choose the safe way, no chemicals...
oootini
looks great! any more info instructions on this technique? i've never heard of it.

edit: http://heronskeep.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/salt-water-etching-class/

looks like a great way to etch! anyone used this technique on modular synth panels?
haiku-ish
Quote:
anyone used this technique on modular synth panels?

done some, with mixed results...
e-grad
Yep, looks gorgeous. Unfortunately I can't do any metal work so it's no option for me.
frequencycentral
Love it! Fascinating.
haiku-ish
same etching technique, but toner transfer on paper magazine...
not as deep as the one with vinyl sticker.
msprigings
This is really cool. May try this myself. Though I'd have to use the toner paper/photo paper method as I don't have access to the car decals.
haiku-ish
last one for today,
better etching with paper magazine, the box was not sanded like the other one with the 2 women.

this one will be a ring mod with 2 oscillators
"Bigouden moustache"

and the original picture :-)

NorthernLightX
Nice moustache nanners
ChevChelios
With your setup how long does the process take once everything is hooked up and in the tank?

I'm sure this depends on how strong of a powers supply your using but I'm curious if you can do more than one plate at a time with this method and if that would take significantly more time.
haiku-ish
I have a 9v 1A power supply, about 3 big spoons of salt
and it takes about 25 mn to etch.
Peake
Really nice!
ChevChelios
haiku-ish wrote:
I have a 9v 1A power supply, about 3 big spoons of salt
and it takes about 25 mn to etch.

Thanks Haiku!
haiku-ish
thanks guys,

i was testing for some (near)futur projects,
i have still 2 boxes, and 5 3U blank panels,
tomorrow i'll post some new etches.
haiku-ish
test with caustic soda...
much details ! but less "organic"...
haiku-ish
after sanding with 0000
akrylik
That is beautiful!!!!

applause

What did you use for transferring the image this time?
haiku-ish
akrylik wrote:
That is beautiful!!!!

applause

What did you use for transferring the image this time?

thanks !

this time, toner on photo paper, then Caustic soda (30% sol) for 40 min.
raisinbag
Ya man it looks super. So id love to know what I'm doing wrong. I am using glossy photo paper to print on, I sand aluminum, clean with acetone, iron it on full heat ( maybe I should take temperature to weed out variables) then put it in cool water and let it soak for a while and once paper is wet and falling apart, I gently rub it off with my fingers. Problem is that most of the toner has stuck to metal BUT NOT ALL OF IT!!! There will be whole sections that didn't stick so the whole process was a waste. I can't seem to get ALL the toner to stick. Any suggestions????? The few panles that actually worked enough, etched well with muriatic acid and hydrogen peroxide. I'd love to try salt or caustic soda, but I can't seem to nail the transfer part.
haiku-ish
first you need a good layer of toner,
so tell your printer to have dense printing, verify that your black is 100% on your artwork too.

then iron at least 10mn the toner on the panel/pedal,
i use the back of a spoon to press the toner against the aluminium every 2 or 3 mn to be sure it will adhere well.
raisinbag
Cool! Well then, I will iron for WAY longer than I have been. I was doing for 2-5 mins. I love the spoon idea. I'm totally gona try that. Thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2