4MS, Ciat-Lonbarde, & other DIY synths & Effects

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

4MS, Ciat-Lonbarde, & other DIY synths & Effects

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sun May 18, 2008 8:49 pm

Does anyone have experience building any 4MS gear for using with modular synth?
Most of their designs have options for Expression Pedal/CV inputs.

http://www.4mspedals.com/

Ciat-Lonbarde designs also look interesting.
Does anyone have experience building the Paper Circuits or Fyrall?
His stuff all seems to be pretty chaotic and random (based on internal feedback).
I saw the Anti-Ear perform a couple of times in SF with a Fourses and a Fyrall.
Really nice noise. Very expressive hands on, and really wild self playing patches!

http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Mon May 19, 2008 1:25 am

Aha! Ciat Lonbarde! Yeah, I'm having a go at building that Rollz-5 "drum machine". I used some heavyweight paper (no cardboard) for the paper circuits and it worked ok.... putting the ICs in is HELL ON EARTH though.
Unique designs and ideas in sound since 2005:
http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

criticalmonkey
Veteran Wiggler

Post by criticalmonkey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:36 pm

i've got a 4ms triwave pico generator

fun stuff but not magical

they seem to be pretty good about they're stock products
i tried to have them do a custom for me but they were a bit flaky then i got super busy

i like the noise swash and atoner a lot - that is what my custom was to be based around

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:59 pm

not me - only DIY stuff I've really done is CGS boards, and a couple of really crappy stompboxes built from schems years ago...plus the Blacet mods I do I guess....

but yeah I've always thought that all looks like cool stuff.... heh unrelated but for the longest time I sorta though Cait-Lonbarde and Catalinbread are two permutations of the same guy/company (given Catalinbread's penchant for messing around with the company name, ie. Cabaretlinda etc.)

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:03 pm

oh yeah, bugbrand offers lotsa really cool DIY resources as well if you are inclined. Tom Bugs is probably the nicest guy I have EVER gotten to deal with online. Really *REALLY* cool guy

also on a bit of a different track but don't forget MFOS for loads of DIY goods

also check here at 'The Free Infomation Society' for a HUGE list of free schems

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... .php?cat=1

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:10 am

Photon, I noticed you have a Ciat-Lonbarde Fyrall on your Flickr page.
Please tell us your thoughts on the device.
Does it play nicely with other stuff?
Is it just an uncontrollable cloud of electrons?
How would you compare it to a modular synth?

photon
Common Wiggler

Post by photon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:32 pm

The Fyrall is a lot of fun, both to build and to play. Its a really strange device.
Its not nearly as flexible as a modular synth. They are two completely different animals. With a modular you have an extremely open-ended system--it can be configured in an almost limitless ways.
The Fyrall is the Fyrall. You're kind of along for the ride. Is it just an uncontrollable cloud of electrons? well, sort of, yeah. But thats the point, I think.
You're not going to be able to record Switched on Bach with it anytime soon. I've injected the output from circuit bent keyboards (sk-1) and drum machines (dd-7) directly into the nodes of the Fyrall but I wouldn't say I controlled the Fyrall with them. It was more like, from the union of the Fyrall and the drum machine was a third, different instrument. Yet it still retained its unmistakable Fyrall-ness.

I haven't recorded it too much lately because I can always recognize unmistakably 'Fyrall-esque' patterns in the chaos. I've been thinking of opening it up & modding it a bit. There is an internal patch-bay inside that you randomly wire (when you're building it) that makes your fyrall different from anyone elses. I've been thinking of bringing those connections to the front in the form of a patch-bay. I think that would help solve the recognizable pattern problem.

I love all my Ciat gear. Peter Blasser is an artist and I don't throw that term around lightly. He's also a really great guy and always a pleasure to deal with.

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Just thought I'd give this a try, but does anybody want to buy a broken Triwave?

It was built back when 4ms was known as 3ms. A pot needs to be remounted or something and it won't turn on. I'm not sure if the power adapter is shot or if it has something to do with the Triwave.

The messed up pot came first. It fell on a concrete floor. Still works, but its all loose now. After I loaned the Triwave to someone that I thought was my friend, I got it back without it turning on after plugging the power adapter in.

I really should just have Dan(main guy at 4ms) fix it, but if someone wants to take it off of my hands for a quick fixer upper, that would be cool as well.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Return to “General Gear”