MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metasonix, Please make a...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Metasonix, Please make a...
sloth713
Any thing other than a filter, vca, or oscillator would be awesome. I personally would prefer more "weird shit" like the R-53. Though I definitely wouldn't mind seeing another metasonix filter or oscillator (the vca's seem pretty well covered).
Crowyote
a stereo ring modulator.
dronetaco
Please just keep making the s-2000 until people realize how fucking incredible they are. applause

maybe there aren't enough demos out there, maybe it needs some lightning bolts or something who the fuck knows this shit is getting incredibly confusing.

d'oh!
Mat
It would be very nice to have the X-3000 = S-2000 + D-1000

dronetaco wrote:
.. keep making the s-2000 until people realize how fucking incredible they are ...

I agree ...
Villarceau
dronetaco wrote:
Please just keep making the s-2000 until people realize how fucking incredible they are. applause

+1 from me too (especially because I see myself getting a second one).
bsnssmn
1) I vote for the phaser; I'd buy it hands down for $1000 if it sounds like a monster.
2) Someone said Van Der Pol Oscillator. Yes! Vote! Want! I read the science, that would ROCK with tubes.
3) Something fun for vocals (other than plain distortion)

ad 1) A tube phaser I think also have a non-extremist market and is usable for many instruments, so plz put some of them cartoons on it, or else you sell too many
ad 2) it seems that Trogotronic's M676 Fury behaves a bit like the Van Der Pol oscillator though the only transformer I see in there is for plate voltage.
ad 3) Vocals love tubes. I once experimented with multiple R54s resonating on a chord like some primitive harmonizer.
malnatim
metasonix wrote:
malnatim wrote:
an R-module phaser / all-pass filter please.

Could, but it would require several tubes and cost close to $1000.

Quote:
i love my effectrode phasers. they're very polite.

That's because they are very simple, to keep costs down. There's only so much you can do with three dual triodes. A really good phaser would have at least seven or eight stages.

got to say, the effectrode phasers are really good. they're fantastic.
i'd love a KV-200, including an envelope follower and phaser.
Chartreuse-J
A random generator based on a geiger tube.

Nothing more random than quantum particles.

hihi
metasonix
Imagine this circuit multiplied by 8. That is what a "proper" phaser would require. Not trying to diss anyone --- it's just to warn you why no one made a tube phaser before. At least 9 tubes just for the phaser plus four dual vactrols.
Smokey
metasonix wrote:
Imagine this circuit multiplied by 8. That is what a "proper" phaser would require. Not trying to diss anyone --- it's just to warn you why no one made a tube phaser before. At least 9 tubes just for the phaser plus four dual vactrols.

So... a minimum of 13 tubes? That's just 2 more than the S-1000! I'm sure at least a half dozen people here would spend $3-4k on a 13 tube phaser.

Not I though... waah
metasonix
Smokey wrote:
metasonix wrote:

So... a minimum of 13 tubes? That's just 2 more than the S-1000! I'm sure at least a half dozen people here would spend $3-4k on a 13 tube phaser.

Maybe. Remember that Effectrode put out what they called a tube phaser. With only three dual triodes, I suspect either they cheated and used solid-state, or it wasn't a very deep phasing sound. Either way it was discontinued after 150 units. Makes ya wonder.

If anyone has a Phaseomatic, send it to me and I'll try to trace the schematic.
malnatim
i have a phaseomatic pm1 (i think only 20 made).
it's only 4-stage. yes, you're right it is subtle and doesn't produce a deep phasing, but it sounds very good to me.
they made an 8-stage that used 10 valves. i've never heard it.
http://wikibin.org/articles/effectrode.html

i also have an v1 blue tube-vibe with some mods. i use it more often.

i don't think there's any solid state cheats in either of these.
the guy who makes them was always very honest and helpful.
they're both subtle, but i find them great for adding a little movement / texture, rather than a dramatic, obvious phasing effect (which is fun, but not always as useful).
malnatim
details and schematic of the 8-stage…

http://www.effectrode.com/phaseomatic/phaseomatic-in-depth/
metasonix
malnatim wrote:
details and schematic of the 8-stage…

http://www.effectrode.com/phaseomatic/phaseomatic-in-depth/

Thanks. This does not surprise me at all. He even has a tube sweep oscillator. Even if built with minimal tubes it would still be a $1000-plus device.
Kent
Metasonix™ Cock Ring with various vibratory modes. For her pleasure, of course.
Cat-A-Tonic
metasonix wrote:
malnatim wrote:
an R-module phaser / all-pass filter please.

Could, but it would require several tubes and cost close to $1000.

Quote:
i love my effectrode phasers. they're very polite.

That's because they are very simple, to keep costs down. There's only so much you can do with three dual triodes. A really good phaser would have at least seven or eight stages.

maybe a Metasonix 4-stage phaser that is chainable if you buy more than one to make 8 stage, 12 stage...

Of course they could also be run in parallel for stereo effects.

The modulation could also be external, depending on other LFOs.
FatRocky
excuse my ignorance

why is that the r modules never have more than two tubes?

Have you considered using those small (miniature tubes ) to make eurorack modules?
metasonix
FatRocky wrote:
why is that the r modules never have more than two tubes?

Space, power capacity, cost. We could make a module with 12 tubes but very few people would buy it. I already get endless bitching about high prices and power-supply issues. Thanks but no thanks.

Quote:
Have you considered using those small (miniature tubes) to make eurorack modules?

You mean SUBminiature tubes. 20 years ago, when military surplus submini tubes were still commonplace, I would have considered it. Unfortunately they are getting very scarce due to hoarders buying them all up. Plus a lot of them are battery-radio types or specialized things with directly heated filaments, which are very difficult to use in audio circuits other than as simple amplifiers.
QuantumMechanakillWave
I still say Krytron Osc!

I'm guessing you'd have trouble shipping it to North Korea. hihi
metasonix
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:
I still say Krytron Osc!

Someone actually tried to make a VCO with a used krytron a while ago. Completely unstable and untuneable. The same goes for any cold-cathode tube with a trigger electrode. You can lead a 5823 to water, but you can't make it funk. It does lots of horrible noise, though.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_5823.html
http://zerosuminertia.com/home/?page_id=28
QuantumMechanakillWave
metasonix wrote:
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:
I still say Krytron Osc!

Someone actually tried to make a VCO with a used krytron a while ago. Completely unstable and untuneable. The same goes for any cold-cathode tube with a trigger electrode. You can lead a 5823 to water, but you can't make it funk. It does lots of horrible noise, though.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_5823.html
http://zerosuminertia.com/home/?page_id=28

Thank God. Now I don't have to try it. I can't afford my current projects!

That is pretty cool! Good job Z.I.!
Test2
could there be a modular system d2000? 5-6 slot empty frame with power plus the tube output stage, maybe some additional mixing features to make it a go to solution for racking up drum modules, metasonix and more.
Kent
I'm still holding out on the mini-guitar amp. How about something based around the GE Compactrons?
Head only
Fucked up 'strangle' or tone controls
Available finished or as a kit in order to hit a lower price point. You could outsource the support calls.

Compactron article for those that are interested.

6AF11 or perhaps even the 6T9. You could then call the amp the "SixtyNine". It would fit in with Yellow Inc. nomenclature.
There are many types from which to choose.

I like what I read here: "The gated beam discriminator section of a 6Z10 Compactron is identical to the 6BN6. If you have any 6BN6 circuits or experience, you can apply that knowledge when using the 6Z10—and the power pentode section is (like the 6T9's) a 6AQ5A."

It would be cool as hell to have an OT with switchable primary impedance that could be switched to something rather high in order to obtain increased saturation of the power section of the tube. As the output power is pretty low, I would guess there must be an OT out there that could do this and without melting.
Smokey
I hope the D-2000 is doing well for you, so well that you want to make a new Assblaster in a similar format.

KV-2000?

Would be a great trilogy of 19" units: S-2000, D-2000, KV-2000...
metasonix
Kent wrote:
I'm still holding out on the mini-guitar amp. How about something based around the GE Compactrons?
Head only
Fucked up 'strangle' or tone controls
Available finished or as a kit in order to hit a lower price point. You could outsource the support calls.

Oh, if only it were that simple.....to get useful power from an output tube stage it has to run at least 90-100 volts plate supply and needs an output transformer. All $$$ and space-consuming. I have a good supply of 17X10/AB10s and just need to find a way to package and power them without busting the bank.

"Compactrons" are actually not very compact, dude.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4