MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metasonix, Please make a...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Metasonix, Please make a...
Smokey
Auto Wah / Envelope Filter Bass Pedal

I'd love a nasty envelope following filter to make some horrible noise-funk... the kinda music they might put in an S&M movie right before she says the safeword.

Like a Q-tron or Mutron but from hell. Flamey

For everyone else, what would you like to see a Metasonix version of?
burnn_out!
Assblaster Metasonix!
Smokey
burnn_out! wrote:
Assblaster Metasonix!

Wow. I missed that the Assblaster had an Envelope following feature.

That said... I'd still love a dedicated pedal (to put on the floor, not in an utility box) that exploits that Envelope following / Auto Filter / auto-wah effect.
Mat
I agree with Smokey! more toys for bass guitar!!!

I use the TX-3 with a Bass Jazz (passive) but just for drones, if you want to use it as bass distortion you will hear about 30% of the tones and 70% of noise, which is good if you like hard noise.

For drones I use the CV input, you can control the TX-3 from the knobs of your bass! very funny.

Bass > (CV input) TX-3 > Delay:

Check at 1:43 and 3:59:

[url=https://soundcloud.com/laconfederacion/deben-rodar-cabezas-1]http s://soundcloud.com/laconfederacion/deben-rodar-cabezas-1[/url]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/laconfederacion/deben-rodar-cabezas-1[/s]

Same song (Live):
Using Aguilar DB 751 Amp and 2 x DB 212:
[url=http://soundcloud.com/rocksonora/la_confederacion-vivo]http://sou ndcloud.com/rocksonora/la_confederacion-vivo[/url]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/rocksonora/la_confederacion-vivo[/s]
Villarceau
La cabeza del guitarrista tiene que rodar IMHO.
Otherwise very enjoyable stuff and really digged the squirting bass with TX-3.
ectoplasm
Realistic piano/Fender Rhodes sounds.
metasonix
Mat wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/laconfederacion/deben-rodar-cabezas-1

Very good--I didn't know it would do that.
Smokey
Mat wrote:

For drones I use the CV input, you can control the TX-3 from the knobs of your bass! very funny.

Great tip that also works with a bass and the F-1 pedal. You can use the knobs to tune the feedback! Or is it the "parasitic oscillations"? Very, very fun and funny!

Thanks for sharing the tunes Mat. That TX-3 is a howling banshee!
wavecircle
I'd like a metasonix pony. Just sayin'.
metasonix
beyourdog
Tube dildo/strap that vibrates according to Control voltage from another source synth...
My analblasster made me sing like a bitch last night...
o-live
hihi

Make a delay !!!!
FatRocky
6 channel tube mixer/preamp with cv control on levels
Please not the reissue of the PT2 since I'm one of the 12 owners of this crazy synth smile
o-live
6/6/6

6 tube mixer / 6 filter-reverb /6 Comp-limiter

Dead Banana
FatRocky
please make a Wretch mini in a small grey toolbox
Smokey
please make a Nixie tube alarm clock that can unleash a horrible "wake up" noise...

I don't wanna be late for work again due to late night Wretching Dead Banana
FatRocky
dual channel assblaster in a rack
QuantumMechanakillWave
A krytron based oscillator with the addition of a noise source that is a crude beta particle detector housed near the krytron. hihi
malnatim
an R-module phaser / all-pass filter please.

i love my effectrode phasers. they're very polite. i'm sure a metasonix take on a phaser would be a completely different + ruder beast.

maybe, could be another "supermodule vco/vcf".
metasonix
malnatim wrote:

Could, but it would require several tubes and cost close to $1000.

Quote:
i love my effectrode phasers. they're very polite.

That's because they are very simple, to keep costs down. There's only so much you can do with three dual triodes. A really good phaser would have at least seven or eight stages.
mecanikill
metasonix wrote:
malnatim wrote:

I would buy one!
Golgo44
Delay, phaser, new filter, compressor, and a chaos type lfo I would be interested in. love
slow_riot
Van Der Pol filter/distortion/oscillator
malnatim
metasonix wrote:
malnatim wrote:

yeah, that probably wouldn't work for the euro market. imo the R-modules are at a good price point.

shame, it'd be great to hear the metasonix take on a phaser.

maybe it could work as another tool-box design for the metasonix fanatics who can/will pay?
sloth713
Any thing other than a filter, vca, or oscillator would be awesome. I personally would prefer more "weird shit" like the R-53. Though I definitely wouldn't mind seeing another metasonix filter or oscillator (the vca's seem pretty well covered).
Crowyote
a stereo ring modulator.
dronetaco
Please just keep making the s-2000 until people realize how fucking incredible they are. applause

maybe there aren't enough demos out there, maybe it needs some lightning bolts or something who the fuck knows this shit is getting incredibly confusing.

d'oh!
Mat
It would be very nice to have the X-3000 = S-2000 + D-1000

dronetaco wrote:
.. keep making the s-2000 until people realize how fucking incredible they are ...

I agree ...
Villarceau
dronetaco wrote:
Please just keep making the s-2000 until people realize how fucking incredible they are. applause

+1 from me too (especially because I see myself getting a second one).
bsnssmn
1) I vote for the phaser; I'd buy it hands down for $1000 if it sounds like a monster.
2) Someone said Van Der Pol Oscillator. Yes! Vote! Want! I read the science, that would ROCK with tubes.
3) Something fun for vocals (other than plain distortion)

ad 1) A tube phaser I think also have a non-extremist market and is usable for many instruments, so plz put some of them cartoons on it, or else you sell too many
ad 2) it seems that Trogotronic's M676 Fury behaves a bit like the Van Der Pol oscillator though the only transformer I see in there is for plate voltage.
ad 3) Vocals love tubes. I once experimented with multiple R54s resonating on a chord like some primitive harmonizer.
malnatim
metasonix wrote:
malnatim wrote:

Quote:

That's because they are very simple, to keep costs down. There's only so much you can do with three dual triodes. A really good phaser would have at least seven or eight stages.

got to say, the effectrode phasers are really good. they're fantastic.
i'd love a KV-200, including an envelope follower and phaser.
Chartreuse-J
A random generator based on a geiger tube.

Nothing more random than quantum particles.

hihi
metasonix
Imagine this circuit multiplied by 8. That is what a "proper" phaser would require. Not trying to diss anyone --- it's just to warn you why no one made a tube phaser before. At least 9 tubes just for the phaser plus four dual vactrols.
Smokey
metasonix wrote:
Imagine this circuit multiplied by 8. That is what a "proper" phaser would require. Not trying to diss anyone --- it's just to warn you why no one made a tube phaser before. At least 9 tubes just for the phaser plus four dual vactrols.

So... a minimum of 13 tubes? That's just 2 more than the S-1000! I'm sure at least a half dozen people here would spend $3-4k on a 13 tube phaser.

Not I though... waah
metasonix
Smokey wrote:
metasonix wrote:

So... a minimum of 13 tubes? That's just 2 more than the S-1000! I'm sure at least a half dozen people here would spend $3-4k on a 13 tube phaser.

Maybe. Remember that Effectrode put out what they called a tube phaser. With only three dual triodes, I suspect either they cheated and used solid-state, or it wasn't a very deep phasing sound. Either way it was discontinued after 150 units. Makes ya wonder.

If anyone has a Phaseomatic, send it to me and I'll try to trace the schematic.
malnatim
i have a phaseomatic pm1 (i think only 20 made).
it's only 4-stage. yes, you're right it is subtle and doesn't produce a deep phasing, but it sounds very good to me.
they made an 8-stage that used 10 valves. i've never heard it.
http://wikibin.org/articles/effectrode.html

i also have an v1 blue tube-vibe with some mods. i use it more often.

i don't think there's any solid state cheats in either of these.
the guy who makes them was always very honest and helpful.
they're both subtle, but i find them great for adding a little movement / texture, rather than a dramatic, obvious phasing effect (which is fun, but not always as useful).
malnatim
details and schematic of the 8-stage…

http://www.effectrode.com/phaseomatic/phaseomatic-in-depth/
metasonix
malnatim wrote:
details and schematic of the 8-stage…

http://www.effectrode.com/phaseomatic/phaseomatic-in-depth/

Thanks. This does not surprise me at all. He even has a tube sweep oscillator. Even if built with minimal tubes it would still be a $1000-plus device.
Kent
Metasonix™ Cock Ring with various vibratory modes. For her pleasure, of course.
Cat-A-Tonic
metasonix wrote:
malnatim wrote:

Quote:

maybe a Metasonix 4-stage phaser that is chainable if you buy more than one to make 8 stage, 12 stage...

Of course they could also be run in parallel for stereo effects.

The modulation could also be external, depending on other LFOs.
FatRocky
excuse my ignorance

why is that the r modules never have more than two tubes?

Have you considered using those small (miniature tubes ) to make eurorack modules?
metasonix
FatRocky wrote:
why is that the r modules never have more than two tubes?

Space, power capacity, cost. We could make a module with 12 tubes but very few people would buy it. I already get endless bitching about high prices and power-supply issues. Thanks but no thanks.

Quote:
Have you considered using those small (miniature tubes) to make eurorack modules?

You mean SUBminiature tubes. 20 years ago, when military surplus submini tubes were still commonplace, I would have considered it. Unfortunately they are getting very scarce due to hoarders buying them all up. Plus a lot of them are battery-radio types or specialized things with directly heated filaments, which are very difficult to use in audio circuits other than as simple amplifiers.
QuantumMechanakillWave
I still say Krytron Osc!

I'm guessing you'd have trouble shipping it to North Korea. hihi
metasonix
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:
I still say Krytron Osc!

Someone actually tried to make a VCO with a used krytron a while ago. Completely unstable and untuneable. The same goes for any cold-cathode tube with a trigger electrode. You can lead a 5823 to water, but you can't make it funk. It does lots of horrible noise, though.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_5823.html
http://zerosuminertia.com/home/?page_id=28
QuantumMechanakillWave
metasonix wrote:
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:
I still say Krytron Osc!

Someone actually tried to make a VCO with a used krytron a while ago. Completely unstable and untuneable. The same goes for any cold-cathode tube with a trigger electrode. You can lead a 5823 to water, but you can't make it funk. It does lots of horrible noise, though.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_5823.html
http://zerosuminertia.com/home/?page_id=28

Thank God. Now I don't have to try it. I can't afford my current projects!

That is pretty cool! Good job Z.I.!
Test2
could there be a modular system d2000? 5-6 slot empty frame with power plus the tube output stage, maybe some additional mixing features to make it a go to solution for racking up drum modules, metasonix and more.
Kent
I'm still holding out on the mini-guitar amp. How about something based around the GE Compactrons?
Head only
Fucked up 'strangle' or tone controls
Available finished or as a kit in order to hit a lower price point. You could outsource the support calls.

Compactron article for those that are interested.

6AF11 or perhaps even the 6T9. You could then call the amp the "SixtyNine". It would fit in with Yellow Inc. nomenclature.
There are many types from which to choose.

I like what I read here: "The gated beam discriminator section of a 6Z10 Compactron is identical to the 6BN6. If you have any 6BN6 circuits or experience, you can apply that knowledge when using the 6Z10—and the power pentode section is (like the 6T9's) a 6AQ5A."

It would be cool as hell to have an OT with switchable primary impedance that could be switched to something rather high in order to obtain increased saturation of the power section of the tube. As the output power is pretty low, I would guess there must be an OT out there that could do this and without melting.
Smokey
I hope the D-2000 is doing well for you, so well that you want to make a new Assblaster in a similar format.

KV-2000?

Would be a great trilogy of 19" units: S-2000, D-2000, KV-2000...
metasonix
Kent wrote:
I'm still holding out on the mini-guitar amp. How about something based around the GE Compactrons?
Head only
Fucked up 'strangle' or tone controls
Available finished or as a kit in order to hit a lower price point. You could outsource the support calls.

Oh, if only it were that simple.....to get useful power from an output tube stage it has to run at least 90-100 volts plate supply and needs an output transformer. All $$$ and space-consuming. I have a good supply of 17X10/AB10s and just need to find a way to package and power them without busting the bank.

"Compactrons" are actually not very compact, dude.
Kent
Well, whaddaya know? It's very much possible.

Quite possible.

metasonix
Kent wrote:
Well, whaddaya know? It's very much possible.

Didn't say it wasn't possible at all, it's just not possible for me, esp. since people expect a whole raft of "special features" in a Metasonix product. This guy's kit is VERY minimal, even the cabinet has to be assembled. All it has is one volume control.

I feel truly sorry for the owners of Zeppelin Design Labs. They are trying to push into a market that has already had prices "crashed and burned" by cheap Chinese-made tube guitar amps like this one. $199 assembled and tested, with built-in speaker.

If we make another guitar amp, even a small low-power one, it has to be insane and bizarre. Accept no substitutes.

So help me out. Find a suitable inexpensive enclosure for such a product. Let's not use the molded plastic toolbox anymore, please. I've come to hate those things. They take up a LOT of space in a shipping box.
Cat-A-Tonic
I think a compressor based on the R-51 circuit would be nice.
YellowBlood
After just acquiring a Hellfire Modulator #12 SlayerBadger! I think there should be more Metasonix modulation. Eric would it be possible/and worth it to make a rack mounted modulation piece? Like the D-2000 with a R-56 reverb, a delay, and a ringmod? I would totally buy one, hell maybe even two if it was a possibility.
Kent
metasonix wrote:
So help me out. Find a suitable inexpensive enclosure for such a product. Let's not use the molded plastic toolbox anymore, please. I've come to hate those things. They take up a LOT of space in a shipping box.

Do you recall a couple of years ago when I mentioned that our mutual acquaintance, Mr. Belov, could be of help with precisely that?

We had been discussing something of approximately this size.

I can reconnect the dots if desired.
metasonix
Kent wrote:
Do you recall a couple of years ago when I mentioned that our mutual acquaintance, Mr. Belov, could be of help with precisely that?
We had been discussing something of approximately this size.

Guess you hadn't heard. Blackheart is basically a "zombie company". In 2009 when the parent company "Loud Technologies" nearly went under, thanks to the banking meltdown, they unloaded several properties and cut back on the others. Belov left "his" company, so he went over to Ampeg temporarily (because Ampeg is "a classic brand", it is in no danger of going under. Supposedly). If you see any Blackheart products for sale in a shop they are probably leftover stock. (Supposedly.)

http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2009/090122/090122_loud.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2008/12/15/daily15.html

Peter is looking for another job. So someone, please hire him.
http://belovgroup.com/About.html

I've seriously though about just buying those junky little Chinese amps and gutting them for the cabinet and other parts. Theoretically I could get them for wholesale prices (which aren't much less than the absurdly cheap retail prices now). The problems come in with the build quality, which is "variable at best", and the labor to disassemble and modify them. Plus the AC mains issue and getting UL approval. A rackmount enclosure of some kind would be more practical, with a 12v DC power inlet.

Quote:
Eric would it be possible/and worth it to make a rack mounted modulation piece? Like the D-2000 with a R-56 reverb, a delay, and a ringmod?

Not in one enclosure, sorry. Power-supply capacity issues. I might consider a separate processor. Depends (once again) on how sales go in the next few months.
Kent
Peter and I communicate quite frequently. He is currently employed. Perhaps guilty of not updating his website, alas.

Whether Blackheart is extant or not is not germane to the topic of obtaining high-value, cool and robust cabinets for a mini-head. Peter could easily offer input as to how to obtain cabinets on a small scale or even manufacturing a product for Metasonix on a larger scale if desired. He'd probably even tell me as a favour with no expense.

It feels like this discussion has run aground. I get the impression that no amount of prodding or excitement will light your fire about releasing a quirky little recording amplifier. I can understand not being excited about the project due to the G-1000. That's absolutely okay. I still think that you are neato, but this is going nowhere and, that too, is okay.
bsnssmn
I told Franz from Schneider's Laden about the phaser and he wants to buy one as well. I really believe a tube phaser with all the hallmark outrageousness of a Metasonix product could be a great success. Was thinking about a name. Due to the sound that a phaser makes, the word "lube" should be in there.
haugbui
I think a pre-assembled system like the ones from Make Noise or Pittsburgh Modular would be nice. All the modules are already there, just put them in a case. I do not know of this is something people want, but they seem to be kind of popular. Who knows, maybe it is a hit.
Kent
God damn, I came off like a prick I that last post. Gotta use lube next time.

In response to the prior post; I think that Eric has done this with the S-1000 and -2000 units. The KV-100 is also like this in regards to effects.
haugbui
SewerBadger wrote:

In response to the prior post; I think that Eric has done this with the S-1000 and -2000 units. The KV-100 is also like this in regards to effects.
Well, the difference is that a pre-assembled (modular) system such as the Make Noise Shared System is completely modular, and can be re-assembled later if you decide to do so. Could be a way to push more modules. Just an idea.
metasonix
An assembled system has been considered. One issue is, what to do about CV generators. Make our own and take abuse for making something "wrong", or buy someone else's and get abuse for using someone else's?

Another is where to source the cabinet (for a reasonable price whatever that means) blah blah.....we're just not set up to make cabinets from scratch, I don't have the time or the power tools or the labor available. Ideas are welcome.

I've watched many companies put out assembled systems. And I've seen people instantly bitch about them on Facebook and here. Too expensive and doesn't do this/that yaddayadda.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/euroracksynthesizers/permalink/1796877 213663273/

Not to mention the power-supply spluttering (this one features Peter Grenader) -- if we offered a case it would have to contain a substantial power supply and that would be another open door for being bitched at about weight and price etc. etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/111029938930272/permalink/169242070079 1180/

If only more people went into those dull FB groups and namedropped Metasonix more often. Or shit, ANYTHING that's abnormal. More interest means more sales means we will have $$ to offer a complete system.
metasonix
This is a really sad FB group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1082273058488596/

but it still has a long way to go before it reaches Gearslutz levels of bitchery
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electroni c-music-production/1148211-synths-other-gear-stupid-names.html

And now you know why we backed off on the outrageous names and panel art.
haugbui
metasonix wrote:
An assembled system has been considered. One issue is, what to do about CV generators. Make our own and take abuse for making something "wrong", or buy someone else's and get abuse for using someone else's?
[...]
Another is where to source the cabinet (for a reasonable price whatever that means)
[...]
Not to mention the power-supply spluttering.

Some of the assembled systems out there has a lot of CV generators, and some are just processing units. I think it would be best to have everything Metasonix, but it does not have to be too complex. A simple envelope maybe?

The aluminum skiffs from Make noise and Intellijel are low-cost, and something similar to that could work, although you would need a flightcase to protect the tubes travelling to gigs. I use an Amalgamod case. The lid protect the tubes, and they are lightweight. Only problem is they are located in Australia.

Regarding power-supplies, maybe a RKP Power System would be sufficient for smaller systems?

I have no idea if this would sell, but it could be a way to push more modules.
CopperHydra
Please make a chorus or phaser with feedback. It'd be worth paying $500 for.

A tape delay for $700 - $1500. OR $3000 if it sounds great.

Complete systems I think people want because they think of it as a wholesale lot of modules and many other reasons I'm sure, but I think you can build a better modular for much cheaper using mixed brands.
FatRocky
please make a simple Tube PreAmp with TONE CONTROL in RK format . CV input for Drive and tone control
ccastellanossf
Didn't Monorocket make a case with the size and PSU specifically tailored for Metasonix modules? I would love a rugged suitcase style, 12U case like that. Hope they start making cases again soon. Maybe that is an area to pursue a partnership?
sizone
metasonix wrote:

ehnnn, a lot of the names people are complaining about on the gearslutz thread are attatched to things that sold really well.

maybe make something called the metasonic infrasonic or the meatsonic. people buy things with puns on the company name used as the product name even if gearslutz posters don't like them.
luchog
metasonix wrote:

Eh, I like the names and art; but can understand why they'd put some people off. (And I want that Horse Fucker partly for the art.)

The problem with pretty much any web forum or social media site is that there is always a cadre of posters whose primary purpose is to complain about stuff. That said, there were some complaints I'd consider valid (eg. with regard to allowing younger children to use the equipment).
Yes Powder
metasonix wrote:

somespergongearslutz wrote:
We're dealing with technical stuff here, let's have technical names.

Thank you for reminding me why I never go on Gearslutz. I can't stand the insufferable levels of pretension.

Funny thing is that it was the outrageousness of your old stuff that initially got me interested, specifically way back (2004, I think?) when Propellerhead Software had a picture of you from NAMM holding an Agonizer unit.

I love the new stuff and miss the old marketing and designs, but I totally understand that being willing to market yourself to squares is part of being successful Miley Cyrus
metasonix
I should post that Gearslutz thread on Facebook. It has a remarkably high percentage of trolls babbling pointlessly....
sizone
heathkit ec-1 clone
the365post
It would be very interesting to see what Metasonix can do in the Video Synth domain SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
... Maybe a CRT Type buffer for video .. ? to warm up the video signal Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
.. Since CRT Monitors are no longer in production ..
very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
Carl Hungus
Personally I would love a racked Metasonix product as a FSU device for DAW/“pro audio” processing.
2-4U that can sit under my Culture Vulture that I can process recorded tracks with Metasonix flavor.
Rack-able with other gear.

I don’t always want to bother with patching or running cables across the studio, format jumbling etc. I also like the integrated signal flow of the Assblaster.

So in my dream land, something that combines the filtering of my TM6/2, and distortion of Scrotum Smasher, Agonizer and Buttprobe with some fun adds twists like feedback/teabag switches, pulsars etc.

Maybe it’s like a mega Hellfire device?

Keep up the great work Eric

thumbs up
Robscorch
I would love to see a small 4-8 channel mixer all tube power. Even better if it has some CV control over it.

screaming goo yo
Chartreuse-J
Geiger tube CV source like the ERD Gamma was a great idea...

Except this time Eric should use a photomultiplier tube to generate cv.

And integrate something like this into the CV module.

https://www.hamamatsu.com/jp/en/product/category/3100/3065/3070/H12406  /index.html
sloth713
Chartreuse-J wrote:
Geiger tube CV source like the ERD Gamma was a great idea...

https://www.hamamatsu.com/jp/en/product/category/3100/3065/3070/H12406  /index.html

What would be cool if you could make this photo multiplier sensitive to as many wave lengths as possible, so a radiowave could be a low lfo, a micro wave be a high lfo, light be audible waves, ultraviolet be ultrasonic, then x-rays/gamma rays can be used for video synthesis (btw I dont want video synth people to get cancer but for the modulation scale i made they kind of made sense (oh who I am I kidding i am so jealous of all visual synthesizer artists that I want them to parish so I can buy their gear cheap), jk (but not really)) Wait did i use enough (())(()()(?
metasonix
Chartreuse-J wrote:

In the 1950s some noise-generator instruments used PMTs as the source. Disadvantage: cost and size. And it's a lot worse today. Even Hamamatsu's cheapest PMT costs about $150 just by itself. That module is prob. $2k.

sloth713 wrote:
What would be cool if you could make this photo multiplier sensitive to as many wave lengths as possible, so a radiowave could be a low lfo, a micro wave be a high lfo, light be audible waves, ultraviolet be ultrasonic, then x-rays/gamma rays can be used for video synthesis (btw I dont want video synth people to get cancer but for the modulation scale i made they kind of made sense (oh who I am I kidding i am so jealous of all visual synthesizer artists that I want them to parish so I can buy their gear cheap), jk (but not really)) Wait did i use enough (())(()()(?

Sorry, physically impossible. PMTs always have narrow sensitivity ranges like that shown.
pianoscope
Cv controllable version of Oskar Sala's tube frequency shifter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 4