MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Have I bought the wrong jacks for eurorack?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Have I bought the wrong jacks for eurorack?
Cablebasher
In a fit of DIY purchasing madness, I tried to get almost everything from Tayda and bought these:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/3-5mm-mono-enclosed-socket.html

Will these work for my eurorack builds? Mainly MA & FrequencyCentral for now.

I only ask I now see everyone says to use thonk/erthenvar which seem to have 4 leads and these only have 3?

Thanks for the help, as always.
e-grad
Cablebasher wrote:
I only ask I now see everyone says to use thonk/erthenvar which seem to have 4 leads and these only have 3?

I'm pretty sure not everyone say use thonk/erthenvar. Many are just fine with Kobiconn jacks. Yours look exactly like the Kobiconn jacks I happily use for years.

You'll definately need three leads only: signal; switch; and ground/com.
Kingnimrod
These look fine to me. I use the kobicon jacks with 3 terminals.
sammy123
These will work. The Erthenvar and Thonk jacks will also work. The extra lead is a ground. Some projects call for the Erthenvar jacks...such as the fonik projects with the component pcb.
Cablebasher
cheers dudes.
Nantonos
Do you need them to be soldered onto a circuit board, or are they for panel wiring?

These are the right size (3.5mm, not minijack 1/8"), mono, and have a switch so you can do normalling. So electrically its compatible.

They don't have the same footprint of lugs as the Thonk/Erthenvar ones so if the PCB is laid out for those, you might need to be a bit creative.

The mechanical feel and the durability of the spring are unknowns though.
FetidEye
the nut of those jack sockets sometimes turn endlessly, and won't tighten.
the length of the (how to call it) nutshaft hihi can be too short for some projects.

also the lugs can be hard to solder, except with really high temperatures.

these are the reasons why i switched to Thonk sockets (i live in the EU)
sammy123
As far as the quality of the Tayda version I agree they are crappy, but will work. The main failing is the threads on the jack and the nut. Very low quality. You are better off buying the kobiconn version from Mouser. I would also suggest buying a bag of 100 from Erthenvar. You will need to buy the nuts separately.

At some point you will need both types. Sometimes space can be tight and the Erthenvar won't fill on the panel. I experienced this recently with Barcode's panel for the Barton mixer. I had to use the Kibiconn/tayda style for one row of inputs and then I used the erthenvar for the rest.
doobedy
Yeah I'd skip building anything with those based on quality, not suitability.

Here is a better price than Mouser for Kobiconn: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Earphone-3-5mm-Head-connector-Mono-2031 -Taiwan-/130401281167
steffensen
doobedy wrote:

Here is a better price than Mouser for Kobiconn: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Earphone-3-5mm-Head-connector-Mono-2031 -Taiwan-/130401281167

Are those real Kobiconn's? Sweet deal if so!
Barcode
doobedy wrote:

I use those and they are a dead ringer for Kobiconns. I have about 500 of them in my system and never had any problems.
daverj
steffensen wrote:
doobedy wrote:

Unlikely. That is a standard shape and color of connector made by a hundred Chinese companies. Kobiconn is one of those, but more respected for decent quality than many others.
steffensen
Interesting. I love my Kobi's, and gladly pay a bit extra to get the real stuff from Mouser. They're well worth it imo.
Monobass
daverj wrote:
steffensen wrote:
doobedy wrote:

Unlikely. That is a standard shape and color of connector made by a hundred Chinese companies. Kobiconn is one of those, but more respected for decent quality than many others.

It's cheaper than the price for 25,000 at Mouser. If it's too good to be true...
falafelbiels
FetidEye wrote:
also the lugs can be hard to solder, except with really high temperatures.

I had a bit of a problem with these jacks where heating them up for too long melted the body. The spring pushed out the plastic and thus lost its springyness necessary for proper springy connecting.
I'm staying away from these from then on.
doobedy
Monobass wrote:

It's cheaper than the price for 25,000 at Mouser. If it's too good to be true...

Yeah, except they are the same jacks. These aren't Rolex's, nobody is cloning the 16PJ138 with that level of perfection.
doobedy
daverj wrote:

Unlikely, but true. Or I wouldn't have recommended them. Here is the silliest bunch of pictures I've ever taken.

The bags as proof! Mouser and wonderco_buy:

Mouser on the right, take note of "SC 11" and "SC 5"...both bags were marked SC and a number on every jack. The numbers differed between jacks. Also the slight dimple on the top of each in a teardrop shape from manufacturing.

Exhibit C! The metal demonstrates an identical amount of springiness, and general unwillingness to bend easily and snap off like cheaper jacks will. Identically shaped, in every way:

So, yeah. Same jacks, different brand. Didn't expect such vehement denials.

I found them years ago from an electro-music.com thread. I also recommend the seller. Fast shipping and great prices on knobs too, especially the bigger fluted bakelite ones.
doobedy
Actually, having thought about it. Isn't Kobiconn a Mouser house brand?

So there you go. Not Chinese, but Taiwanese, and here is the OEM:

http://www.scpre.com.tw/en-US/ProductPage/61

I feel very productive today. That also explains the "SC" stamp, since that is the company's name!

Now everybody feel free to look for deals on SCJ310 jacks.
ringstone
doobedy wrote:
daverj wrote:

Unlikely, but true. Or I wouldn't have recommended them. Here is the silliest bunch of pictures I've ever taken.

I use these too, and I have noted that they are identical, down to ID markings, to those used in Cwejman modules. So even if they're not the real deal, they're a pretty good copy... there's certainly no issue with soldering to, or tarnishing with these like there is with some of the cheaper versions.

Cheers
Blair
Monobass
Good spot on the 'SC', are Kobiconn definitely a Mouser house brand though? Their parts are available from other distributors too.
doobedy
Monobass wrote:
Good spot on the 'SC', are Kobiconn definitely a Mouser house brand though? Their parts are available from other distributors too.

All I know is the kobiconn.com website, which doesn't seem to be working, is owned by Mouser. And I can't find actual company info anywhere online, it all points back to Mouser.

I'm sure we could just ask, but it sure looks like a house brand.
daverj
Good find. It does look like they are the same.

Kobiconn is indeed a house brand of Mouser. Mouser has a registered trademark on the name Kobiconn, and the Kobiconn.com web site is registered to Mouser as well.

doobedy wrote:

Actually.... On their Company profile and timeline pages they say they have had a factory in mainland China for over 20 years (and expanded it a number of times). A lot of Taiwanese companies manufacture in mainland China now because it's cheaper, even for them.

The SC in the mold is a good indication that this company is the originator of the part. But you can't always trust mold markings if you don't have some kind of trail back to the manufacturer. As cheap as these parts are, there are a lot of Chinese manufacturers that make clones of anything popular. Right down to 10 cent parts. They will copy the molds, including letters and numbers. They will sell the parts using the same part numbers as the originals. And even copy photos from the original company's web site and brochures and put them on their web site.

I've even seen companies in different provinces of China use the same photo of what is supposedly their factory. And photos of their manufacturing floor that I found were actually copied from a Chinese trade magazine web site.

It's a crazy maze out there trying to find the true origin of a given component.
doobedy
daverj wrote:
Good find. It does look like they are the same.

Kobiconn is indeed a house brand of Mouser. Mouser has a registered trademark on the name Kobiconn, and the Kobiconn.com web site is registered to Mouser as well.

doobedy wrote:

Actually.... On their Company profile and timeline pages they say they have had a factory in mainland China for over 20 years (and expanded it a number of times). A lot of Taiwanese companies manufacture in mainland China now because it's cheaper, even for them.

The SC in the mold is a good indication that this company is the originator of the part. But you can't always trust mold markings if you don't have some kind of trail back to the manufacturer. As cheap as these parts are, there are a lot of Chinese manufacturers that make clones of anything popular. Right down to 10 cent parts. They will copy the molds, including letters and numbers. They will sell the parts using the same part numbers as the originals. And even copy photos from the original company's web site and brochures and put them on their web site.

I've even seen companies in different provinces of China use the same photo of what is supposedly their factory. And photos of their manufacturing floor that I found were actually copied from a Chinese trade magazine web site.

It's a crazy maze out there trying to find the true origin of a given component.

I just meant, right or wrong, that I am more likely to trust a Taiwanese company to not be doing exactly what you are talking about. I don't care if something is manufactured in China from a quality standpoint. Morally might be another story.

Either way, you are correct. China definitely has a well deserved reputation for being untrustworthy with all things electronic, and I've certainly been bitten by painted ICs, laughably bad rusty "1%" resistors, etc. It's still the wild west. I just avoid anything shipping from there. Period. It's just too much like gambling.

Tayda is my favorite way to be cheap these days. So far so good. Except the jacks!

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1