MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

General Questions to buying parts
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author General Questions to buying parts
merretich
Helo everybody,

I would like to start building my own synthesizer and I'm trying to order the parts. My qustion is what is an MF type of resistor? What does MF mean?

I dont know to much about electronics but I'm trying to get into it.

Thanks for your help.

Siimon
merretich
Do you think it makes sense to make a list of all the parts I need for all the different modules? Or are there sets of resistors available that would relieve me from this burdon?
e-grad
Guess: MF = metal film. Metal resistors usually have of tolerance of 1% while carbon resistors have a tolerance of 5% or even 10%.
merretich
thank you.

but I should buy MF resistors in general not only where it's marked, if I've understood correctly?
e-grad
Nope. You should get metal film resistor only since they have better specs. If you're seriously diving into DIY you'll soon stock a large number of parts. Piling a large number of resistor values is a task. Doing so in various tolerances is insanity.
merretich
Yes I really and seriousely would like to dive into it, even though it means that I will have to learn a lot of things. But I'm sure it will be fun.

Also kauf ich einfach alles Metalfilmresistoren.
Mongo1
Hi Merretich -

One thing I found - if you are planning to build a lot of stuff, resistors are much cheaper in quantity. If you get them from a vendor like Mouser, you will probably find that it costs you less to buy 200 of one value than to buy 50. There are some values like 100K, 10K etc that you will use a lot of, so go for it.

The other thing I've found is that there are variety packs of resistors available on Ebay that can fill in the gaps - they will give you 10 or 20 of a wide variety of values. One thing to be careful of with them - some of them may not actually be metal film. Chinese companies can be really tricky.

I have also found the variety packs of ceramic disc capacitors are pretty useful, and my capacitance meter indicates they are pretty good.

When you have critical capacitor values get the 'suitcase' or 'box' type caps. They are really good.

Gary
sonicwarrior
Mongo1 wrote:
There are some values like 100K, 10K etc that you will use a lot of, so go for it.

I bought 1000x 100K, 500x 47K, 500x 10K and 500x 1K. For every other E24 value I had packages of 100 each.
1M are also often used.

For 100n bypass capacitors the cheapest ceramic caps are sufficient. I already soldered in more than 600 of them!

Other cap values highly depend on the projects you have planned. I mostly buy them as I need them. Bought only bigger packages of 100 each for 100pF, 47pF and 10 pF NP0 ceramic caps.

And I have lots of 10 uF polarized capacitors for power line filtering (the better ones aka Nichicon from Mouser).
merretich
So, this is this the right resistor for 1K 0.25W 1%?

http://ch.farnell.com/multicomp/mf25-1k/widerstand-0-25w-1-1k/dp/93411 02

what does MF25 mean? MF means Metal Film, but what does 25 indicate?

Thanks for the help

Simon
e-grad
merretich wrote:
what does MF25 mean? MF means Metal Film, but what does 25 indicate?

Did you even look at the side you've linked to?

Quote:
Herst.Bez.: MF25 1K
merretich
What does the quality of a resistor depend on? Is there a certain manufacturer you could recommend? I'm just about to make a list of all the parts I will need. I'm on farnell.com and there are resistors with the similar features but from different manufacturers for different prices and I don't know whether to take the cheaper ones...
merretich
Yes I did look at it, but you know I'm not used to finding and ordering resistors yet. And I would like to make sure that I buy the right ones but it mean 250mW if Im not mistaken...?
e-grad
1/4W resistors are commonly used for synths. You could use higher ratings as well.
merretich
is there a difference between multicomb and TE Connectivity?
merretich
Thanks e-grad
merretich
I think they should be the same?....
merretich
exept of the price smile
flts
generally speaking you don't have to worry too much about what kind of resistors to get for synth diy: just stock up on normal cheap 1/4w or 1/2w 1% metal film resistors that you find on practically all electronic component stores. buy 10, 50, 100 or even 500 at once so you'll get them for cheaper, maybe even buy a basic assortment with all the common values to get started. don't worry about the manufacturer or other types of resistors. some of the resistor values (like 10kohm and 100kohm) are used a lot practically everywhere, so you'll probably want to have a big amount of those always in hand since you'll be using them in most of projects you want to do.

0,25-0,5w specified resistors can take enough current for most synth diy tasks. if you need something beefier (for power supply use or tube electronics for example), it will be specified separately. the 1% tolerance in common metal film resistors means the actual values will be as close to the specified value as you'll need, and if you really need to match resistors to a higher precision than that (quite rare) you can do it with a decent quality multimeter.

some vintage guitar pedal / synth clone builders claim that old 5%/10% carbon film or carbon comp resistors have a different sound, and some hi-fi projects specifically call for high quality vishay resistors or whatever. my advice is that you shouldn't make starting out so difficult to yourself: get a big bunch of basic metal film resistors in different values and use them. you can start geeking out and trying out different stuff later if you want to.
merretich
thanks fits for this detailed answer. I'm already looking forward to getting startet smile
thebot
One thing to be aware of with the Oakley boards - generally 0.5W resistors will be bigger than the 0.25W and can be a struggle to fit in some of the boards as spacing is quite tight (not in terms of soldering, just in terms of the physical size of the resistors).

There's a really good parts guide on the Oakley site by the way:

http://www.oakleysound.com/parts.pdf

I use this for sourcing most of my synth building stuff and if you're using Farnell anyway there's parts numbers for most of the stuff you need.
merretich
ok, ive got only 0.25W in my basket so far, so I won't have to many problems concerning the space.

I've got one more basic question about the MidiDac module: There is no big difference concerning the parts I will have to buy if I build the 5U high, 2 Units wide module or the the rack version which is 1U high?

Im feeling a little silly asking so many basic questions very frustrating but it is great help to me
ndkent
.25 watt

...sorry answered already -- in any event I can't recall seeing a call for 1/2 watt in a DIY module project. Perhaps in vintage or something mains voltage, then again you shouldn't be working on that sort of thing if you are starting out. I've seen .125 w now and again but no real point imho, 1/4 w can be used instead unless it's crazy tight and even then you could likely mount a 1/4 "standing".

As for the formats, it looks like the same parts other than the extra multiples on the right. Mostly a choice if you want it in your module rack --which might not be a standard 19" wide gear rack, or you have the 1u space (and can run module power to it)
LoveHertz
merretich wrote:
Helo everybody,

I would like to start building my own synthesizer and I'm trying to order the parts. My qustion is what is an MF type of resistor? What does MF mean?

I dont know to much about electronics but I'm trying to get into it.

Thanks for your help.

Siimon

hello merretich, I been following this thread since I would also like to learn this stuff too, tho i am afraid your knowledge is probably far greater than mine and i am afraid to ask any questions on the subject,...YET. so I hope you will ask all my inane questions for me. I will post my future questions to you to ask on this forum. ok jesting of course.
i've done a bit of soldering before making mic cables so im sure im not the worst and should with a bit of practice get much better i hope. like you i will need lots of this gear. maybe a better soldering iron. I do not have a scope and know sweat fa about them. lots of details to take in. i have downloaded all the Oakley docs since these are what i would like to start on, plus some Yves stuff i would like to have a go at. i will only try the less complicated circuits to begin with. i intend to buy some ready made from krisp1 and then use these to compare my building progress with. i'm not so sure about how i will go at fault finding or setting up these but will hopefully be able to deal with that later or try not to make faults. i assume a scoipe is a fairly important and neccessary tool for this big step.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1