GRP R24 Sequencer (Standalone + 5U)

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:37 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
Analog Music wrote:Well let me ask you guys this ,

if the Moog 960 sequencer was the same price as the DotCom Q960 would you still rather have the Q960 over the Moog 960, if you could only get one of them . In other words is it the price difference that make so many not want the Moog or the way it operates ?
I'm pretty sure it's the huge price difference? I've never had my hands on a Moog 960 but all the others (DotCom, COTK, Mos-Lab) were designed as clones of the Moog 960 so I'm assuming they all work at least 95% to 99.9% the same? :hmm: :despair: If Moog Music suddenly lost their minds (or came to their senses? :hihi: ) and started selling 960 sequencers for under $1,200 . . . . :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:
haha that would be the day .
Let me ask you how big of a problem is the missing "reset" feature on the Moog 960 that the DotCom Q960 has ?
Will not having the "reset" feature on the Moog 960 screw up your sequences some how specially for live performance or is it not that big a deal .

Is it possible to mod a Moog 960 with the "reset" feature ?
Last edited by Analog Music on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:38 pm

oops

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:43 pm

Analog Music wrote:Let me ask you how big of a problem is the missing "reset" feature on the Moog 960 that the DotCom Q960 has ?
Will not having the "reset" feature on the Moog 960 screw up your sequences some how specially for live performance or is it not that big a deal .

Is it possible to mod a Moog 960 with the "reset" feature ?
I would think you could at least patch the reset manually by taking the gate out of the stage to reset at and patching it into the stage 1 Set input? :hmm:

fabodyssey
Common Wiggler

Post by fabodyssey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:25 pm

hello
can someone sync his SQ-1 on the GRP R24?
even after different changes in both config, it works badly. :hmm:
(Beforehand sorry for my bad English)

see my modular soon finished ...
https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/259422
https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/361429

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:26 am

fabodyssey wrote:hello
I don't have an SQ-1. Which inputs and outputs are you trying to use on both the SQ-1 and R24?

fabodyssey
Common Wiggler

Post by fabodyssey » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:58 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
fabodyssey wrote:hello
I don't have an SQ-1. Which inputs and outputs are you trying to use on both the SQ-1 and R24?
Clock out R24 —> In SYNC SQ-1

the led speed of sq1 flash correctly at the right tempo but in reading it is not synchronized (1 step = 2 or 3).

- on the sq-1 I changed "sequence step resolution" with power / play function
Vc range too
- on R24 I change « tdlu CLK DIV » and « CLH OUt » but always the same :confused:

fabodyssey
Common Wiggler

Post by fabodyssey » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:06 pm

maybe there is an incompatibility, in this case I sell to take another small sequencer that works well !

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Syncing one analog step sequencer to another one can often be tricky and frustrating. Since there is no Reset input on the SQ-1 (that I can tell) there is no way to force it into step sync.

What step are you manually setting the SQ-1 to before you press start on the R24? Step 1? Try setting it to step 8 and see if that helps.

Also did you try setting the SQ-1 SYNC IN and SYNC OUT polarity to negative(fall)? That might also help.

Or, if you have the correct MIDI out cable for the SQ-1 you could make it the master and slave the R24 via MIDI?

fabodyssey
Common Wiggler

Post by fabodyssey » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:29 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Syncing one analog step sequencer to another one can often be tricky and frustrating. Since there is no Reset input on the SQ-1 (that I can tell) there is no way to force it into step sync.

What step are you manually setting the SQ-1 to before you press start on the R24? Step 1? Try setting it to step 8 and see if that helps.

Also did you try setting the SQ-1 SYNC IN and SYNC OUT polarity to negative(fall)? That might also help.

Or, if you have the correct MIDI out cable for the SQ-1 you could make it the master and slave the R24 via MIDI?
thank you for your help :tu:
I had already tried the polarity, the MIDI too but I must insist.
I thought it was going to be easier this syncronization. :confused:
I would like to do sequences without a computer with R24 + small sequencer + TR-09 (have you tried the TR-09 with R24?)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:11 pm

fabodyssey wrote:have you tried the TR-09 with R24?
I don't have a TR-09 but I have a TR-505 and it sync'd to the R24 beautifully and the R24 sync'd to the TR-505 as well, all via MIDI.

Are you on Instagram? If you aren't you may or may not be able to see these but here are some tests I did:

R24 master, TR-505 slave

TR-505 master, R24 slave

fabodyssey
Common Wiggler

Post by fabodyssey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:19 am

then, for the SQ-1, the MIDI sync out works very well (my cable was bad)
the same for a MAQ16/3 with MIDI, it works

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:15 pm

JohnLRice wrote: R24 master, TR-505 slave
WOW - Freakin outstanding John. Ay, Rumba!!

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:44 pm

I'm struggling to get my R24 to start/stop reliably from my Grove Audio MIDI to CV. While the 742A had some teething problems it reliably sends run/stop pulses (25ms in duration, 5V) from my Cirklon. I'm looking at a scope, it works great.

The R24, unfortunately, seems to just randomly decide if it wants to hear the start/stop. I've tried varying the pulse width from basically 1ms all the way to 200ms and it makes no difference, the R24 just arbitrarily starts/stops. It's maddening.

Anyone else have luck here? Scope doesn't lie, it's a 5V signal. I boosted it to 7V and I think that helped...but not 100%

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:42 am

BTG wrote:I'm struggling to get my R24 to start/stop reliably from my Grove Audio MIDI to CV. While the 742A had some teething problems it reliably sends run/stop pulses (25ms in duration, 5V) from my Cirklon. I'm looking at a scope, it works great.

The R24, unfortunately, seems to just randomly decide if it wants to hear the start/stop. I've tried varying the pulse width from basically 1ms all the way to 200ms and it makes no difference, the R24 just arbitrarily starts/stops. It's maddening.

Anyone else have luck here? Scope doesn't lie, it's a 5V signal. I boosted it to 7V and I think that helped...but not 100%
So what you did in the below thread to get the R24 working correctly with the Moon 553 doesn't work with the Grove 742A? :hmm:
viewtopic.php?p=2766831#2766831

It might be worth it to buy a Moon 553 again so you can at least compare the difference in the outputs and then sell it afterwards if need be? Or maybe borrow or rent one if possible?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:16 am

EPTC wrote:
JohnLRice wrote: R24 master, TR-505 slave
WOW - Freakin outstanding John. Ay, Rumba!!
A belated thank you, EPTC! 8-)

Here's a soundcloud Version for those who don't do Instagram
https://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/grp-mo ... nd-friends

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:47 am

JohnLRice wrote:
BTG wrote:I'm struggling to get my R24 to start/stop reliably from my Grove Audio MIDI to CV. While the 742A had some teething problems it reliably sends run/stop pulses (25ms in duration, 5V) from my Cirklon. I'm looking at a scope, it works great.

So what you did in the below thread to get the R24 working correctly with the Moon 553 doesn't work with the Grove 742A? :hmm:
viewtopic.php?p=2766831#2766831

It might be worth it to buy a Moon 553 again so you can at least compare the difference in the outputs and then sell it afterwards if need be? Or maybe borrow or rent one if possible?
OK, I measured mine for you. MIDI input was from my Roland TR-505 drum machine.

Moon Modular 553 Start Out:

Moon Modular 553 Stop Out:

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 am

JohnLRice wrote: It might be worth it to buy a Moon 553 again so you can at least compare the difference in the outputs and then sell it afterwards if need be? Or maybe borrow or rent one if possible?
I assumed it was a similar problem but no luck. I tried the same fix and it’s very intermittent. I have a Kenton pro 2000 I can try with next but I’m out of town for a month so I will have to wait.

Mark11Audio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mark11Audio » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:07 pm

BTG wrote:
JohnLRice wrote: It might be worth it to buy a Moon 553 again so you can at least compare the difference in the outputs and then sell it afterwards if need be? Or maybe borrow or rent one if possible?
I assumed it was a similar problem but no luck. I tried the same fix and it’s very intermittent. I have a Kenton pro 2000 I can try with next but I’m out of town for a month so I will have to wait.
I just happen to have an extra Moon 553 for sale, $125.91...

just a thought...

Mark
"Trust No One, Question Everything..."

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Just an FYI - I'm not sure if GRP emailed about this update but version 2.9 firmware got released in May. I just downloaded it.

Four main improvements, quoting GRP here:

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2018/05/grp ... os-by.html

1. Grp R 24 Sequencer w 2 9 Row Pot Lock

[video][/video]

Grp R-24 Step Sequencer w. Rev 2.9 can protect step values with locking mode for Row A, B and C. With Pot Lock, you can avoid accidental pitch variations during playback. Pot Locking can be set on the fly with SHIFT+ASSIGN.

2. Grp R 24 Sequencer w V/Hz

[video][/video]

Grp R-24 Step Sequencer w. Rev 2.9 can drive old synthesizers from Korg and Yamaha following V/Hz standard. You can choose this format indipendently on each Row A, B and C. You can choose Gate normal (V/Oct) or reversed (V/Hz) as you like on each row.

3. Grp R24 Seq Rev 2 9 Separate Advance Mode

[video][/video]

Grp R-24 Step Sequencer w. Rev 2.9 has indipendent Advance Mode for each Row A, B or C. You can choose every advance mode but Alternate in separate fashion on every row. Selection is active in realtime during playback and stop, no difference.

4. Grp R24 V2 9 Multiple End Step - NEAT!

[video][/video]

Grp R-24 Sequencer w. Rev 2.9 can enable TWO End Step on each Sequence, allowing travel between "initial and final" end step on the fly.

I'm pretty psyched about the v/Hz option (Metasonix r55 use)

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:52 am

No, they haven't send out an email about the 2.9 update
Had to check my instagram.. updated mine on 1st June+-. Found it by chance though.
And, yes it gives the GRPR24 a whole new bunch of features! :tu:
Fun guaranteed!!!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 am

zeta wrote:No, they haven't send out an email about the 2.9 update
:hmm: I received an email about the 2.9 update on May 21st. (I haven't done the update yet though :oops: ) zeta, you should contact GRP and make sure you are on their mailing list! :tu:

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:49 am

JohnLRice wrote:
zeta wrote:No, they haven't send out an email about the 2.9 update
:hmm: I received an email about the 2.9 update on May 21st. (I haven't done the update yet though :oops: ) zeta, you should contact GRP and make sure you are on their mailing list! :tu:
Oops, then pardon for misinformation.
I actually thought i'm on there, until this one i ever received a notification.
I even buged Paolo some months ago about 2.9.
Anyway, it's worth it.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Hey, all - Hoping someone here can give me some instructions on what -should- be a simple configuration?

I was able to change the default midi channels so they always load and power on with midi channels 1 and 2, depending on the row - so I'm sure there's a way to set defaults on all the settings.

What I'd like to have the GRP do is be set to an external clock by default whenever it powers on. Can't figure out how to do it. It's not a big thing but it'd be great to default to an external clock automatically.

Any guess on how to save that configuration?

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:45 am

Just as a follow-up: Spoke with Paolo through email. Seems Clock input can't be saved as a parameter.
Not a big deal at all, just press Clock input each time after power on. :stardance:

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:58 am

I think this is sort of a rhetorical question - but I guess the R-24 will *never* be able to load a sequence from memory whilst the current one is playing, thereby vastly improving it's use in a live situation ? I sort of get the feeling the whole way the memory section works means pressing stop is always going to be required.
It's a shame - I love this sequencer regardless - but for my live rig, not having to press stop & then restart would be amazing.

Return to “5U Format Modules”