GRP R24 Sequencer (Standalone + 5U)

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 am

Xmit wrote:I think this is sort of a rhetorical question - but I guess the R-24 will *never* be able to load a sequence from memory whilst the current one is playing, thereby vastly improving it's use in a live situation ? I sort of get the feeling the whole way the memory section works means pressing stop is always going to be required.
It's a shame - I love this sequencer regardless - but for my live rig, not having to press stop & then restart would be amazing.
Agreed. And it wouldn't start the new sequence until the current sequence had completed . . . and chaining sequences would be sweet too! :tu:

:hmm: I guess one workaround would be to have TWO R24's in your live rig and to have some device or module to merge the MIDI or CV/Gate outputs? :hyper: :hyper:
Last edited by JohnLRice on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 am

ha! slightly pricey solution ! :mrgreen: Also, yet another case to carry to gigs... but yes, it's one solution!

VOLTA
Common Wiggler

Post by VOLTA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:16 am

It says in the manual that the R24 is mountable in a 5U cabinet, but cant find any instructions of the process? This is not a straight forward process is it? And the usb and midi connections will be "lost".

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:55 am

VOLTA wrote:It says in the manual that the R24 is mountable in a 5U cabinet, but cant find any instructions of the process? This is not a straight forward process is it? And the usb and midi connections will be "lost".
It is very possible but if you want to retain the MIDI and USB connectivity you'll need to do some DIY. For basic case mounting you just remove the panel mounting screws, disconnect the power cable, disconnect the MIDI/USB ribbon cable, and then put it in your 5U case and connect the power. :tu:

I mounted mine in a Synthesizers.com 22 space portable case and I mounted the small MIDI/USB board inside and put MIDI and USB pass-through connectors into the side of the case.

VOLTA
Common Wiggler

Post by VOLTA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:15 am

There we go. The work of a proffesional :)

Also i noticed it now ships with 19" rack ears, (dont remember if this was the case from the beginning) But i suppose all you need is to remove the sidepanels to be able to mount it in a 19" rack ?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:21 am

VOLTA wrote:There we go. The work of a proffesional :)

Also i noticed it now ships with 19" rack ears, (dont remember if this was the case from the beginning) But i suppose all you need is to remove the sidepanels to be able to mount it in a 19" rack ?
I think I got the rack ears but I haven't thought about them since I got it. :hmm: But yes, just remove the wooden side cheeks and mount the rack ears to the case.

VOLTA
Common Wiggler

Post by VOLTA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Great. Hopefully theres a new batch soon :bananaguitar:

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Yep can confirm they rack mount really beautifully. I feel a little bad that the wood cheeks are just in a desk drawer now but much prefer the industrial look of a rackmount.

About the only thing to be mindful of here is the included screws are much too long without the woodcheeks, so if you go for the rackmount I'd get shorter screws for connecting them to the case - just to keep from any accidental contact within the thing. - Pretty generous on GRP's part to include both wood sides and rack ears all together at no extra price.

btw, GORGEOUS work, John.

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:59 am

Ok, somehow i feel l am on the same river as fabodyssey.
I am trying to clock a yusynth clock devider to the clock output of the grp24.
The gate on led on the sequencer flahes, let’s say at 60bpm, the devider leds at IN position stay on, way to fast. Scaled down to 1/8 they’re are still to fast.
Any ideas... :despair:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:51 am

zeta wrote:Ok, somehow i feel l am on the same river as fabodyssey.
I am trying to clock a yusynth clock devider to the clock output of the grp24.
The gate on led on the sequencer flahes, let’s say at 60bpm, the devider leds at IN position stay on, way to fast. Scaled down to 1/8 they’re are still to fast.
Any ideas... :despair:
What version of the R24 OS are you on? Just off the top of my head there may be things in version 2.8 and/or 2.9 that might be helpful? :hmm:

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:35 am

Hi john, i am on 2.9.
Thanks for the chart. I’ve already tried to play around with different CLK settings but :despair:
Maybe i should dive into the TD menu, haven’t done that for now. :hmm:
Will investigate later.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 am

I need to spend some quality time with my R24, I've been shamelessly ignoring it for far too long! :oops:

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:10 pm

:doh: resolved. CLK out-StEP! Step is after 48! :oops:

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:31 pm

Clocking on the R24 is confusing because there are 3 or 4 different places where you can set the time divisions -- globally, per row, and then the divider (actually, there's the ratcheting thing too, which I never looked at).

But I digress.

Is there a way that anyone knows of to tie gates together? I don't think a normal step sequencer can do that (I can't do it on my 569 either) but figured I'd ask...

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:41 pm

BTG wrote:Is there a way that anyone knows of to tie gates together? I don't think a normal step sequencer can do that (I can't do it on my 569 either) but figured I'd ask...
If you mean to like add gate lengths together, so that three steps tied together would produce a single gate output of like 150% duty cycle instead of three separate gate outputs of 50% duty cycle each etc, I don't think there is an easy way to do so? :hmm:

You could maybe use an external VC glide/slew module and control it with a row of the sequencer to process the gate output to stay high when you want?

There is a feature in the R24 to tie CV outputs together though which is a nice feature! :tu:
if you want to prolong arbitrarily (for multiples of Step duration) the duration of a CV
smearing over more than one Step, you can use the S&H ON mode (using the dedicated Row
switch), for latching the value. In this way, CV Out will be sampled and mantained in memory
(hold) until the next Gate enabled. Only Steps assigned on GATE1/GATE2 will be allowed to transmit
Out their CV values. Other CV values from Steps unassigned will be ignored.
:hmm: . . . hhhmmm, using the above you could maybe dedicate a row to producing gate outputs via the row's CV output? :hyper:

Edit: and you could do the same thing, sort of, on a Moon 569? For instance set it to 2 x 16 and use the top two rows for pitch and the bottom 2 rows for gate out of the CV out so you can dial in your ties. Might need to use a little bit of slew on the output ?

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 am

Scales.

that's my other wish-list thing for the R24.

surely it'd be possible for GRP to add a dozen or so scale options in a firmware update ? they're great for working fast & would be invaluable in a live situation, taking away some of the scare factor of going for a bit of an improvisational jam...

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:17 pm

JohnLRice wrote: There is a feature in the R24 to tie CV outputs together though which is a nice feature! :tu:
Is there any advantage in having two(2) R24 with one going into the other ?
Any cool tricks can be done with that setup like with 2 960's sequencing each other ( pattern bussing ) .

I know the R24 doesn't have out on each step like the 960 but was just wondering if some cool things could be done with 2 R24 ?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Analog Music wrote:
JohnLRice wrote: There is a feature in the R24 to tie CV outputs together though which is a nice feature! :tu:
Any cool tricks can be done with that setup like with 2 960's sequencing each other ( pattern bussing ) .

I know the R24 doesn't have out on each step like the 960 but was just wondering if some cool things could be done with 2 R24 ?
I'd say absolutely :goo: :goo: , although I don't have two to try it! :cry: :lol: Like most sequencers you could run the R24 outputs into some external sequential switches etc or have one R24 transpose the other R24 etc etc.

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:23 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
Analog Music wrote:

I'd say absolutely :goo: :goo: , although I don't have two to try it! :cry: :lol: Like most sequencers you could run the R24 outputs into some external sequential switches etc or have one R24 transpose the other R24 etc etc.
Great that sounds very cool to bad it doesn't have IO on every step but maybe a nice alternative to two 960s .

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Analog Music wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Analog Music wrote:

Great that sounds very cool to bad it doesn't have IO on every step but maybe a nice alternative to two 960s .
I haven't sat down to verify it but I "think" a lot of what can be created with two 960's and several support modules can be created with a single more modern sequencer with fewer or no support modules? :hmm: 8-)

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:32 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
Analog Music wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Analog Music wrote:

I haven't sat down to verify it but I "think" a lot of what can be created with two 960's and several support modules can be created with a single more modern sequencer with fewer or no support modules? :hmm: 8-)
then chuck in compatability midi/cv ins outs and powering and patch memories ..chaining..timings swing offsets.. you could go on and on..

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:09 am

I have a q960 w/ companion modules & a r24 and i use them frequently together. It’s a nice combo, got the q960+- 10years ago and still enjoying it. Its main purpose is to sequence my ttsh, but it is fun too, to control parameters of r24 or vice versa, pattern bussin’/pulse adressing on q960 incl..

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:21 am

zeta wrote:I have a q960 w/ companion modules & a r24 and i use them frequently together. It’s a nice combo, got the q960+- 10years ago and still enjoying it. Its main purpose is to sequence my ttsh, but it is fun too, to control parameters of r24 or vice versa, pattern bussin’/pulse adressing on q960 incl..
Can you please described how you are patching your R24 and Q960 to get pattern bussing/pulse addressing? Really interested by that.
thehordijkmodular.blogspot.fr

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:30 am

Ok, i’ll try my best out of my head.
First, both sequencers need the same clock source. I then use a yusynth clock divider to get a fast clock IN the r24 and the half or halfofhalf speed to Gate IN on the c961s, from there the first five serial OUTs are connected to their equal Stage INs on the q960. (No c961s on hand. Clock to Shift IN) A,B,C, gate outs from r24 to q960 stage INs. e.g. 6,7,8. Skip them 3 then. Reset on 5, the first four, normal. Q960 pitch out to Osc, whereas r24 clock out to EGs.

Should be it +-, lots of further developments, think seqential switch, y- cables awww heaven.. :hihi:
I trigger e.g. from 3rd yusynth divider out a simpleseq and then EGs

Now i’m ready to receive my costume of tar and feather

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46 pm

zeta wrote:Ok, i’ll try my best out of my head.
First, both sequencers need the same clock source. I then use a yusynth clock divider to get a fast clock IN the r24 and the half or halfofhalf speed to Gate IN on the c961s, from there the first five serial OUTs are connected to their equal Stage INs on the q960. (No c961s on hand. Clock to Shift IN) A,B,C, gate outs from r24 to q960 stage INs. e.g. 6,7,8. Skip them 3 then. Reset on 5, the first four, normal. Q960 pitch out to Osc, whereas r24 clock out to EGs.

Should be it +-, lots of further developments, think seqential switch, y- cables awww heaven.. :hihi:
I trigger e.g. from 3rd yusynth divider out a simpleseq and then EGs

Now i’m ready to receive my costume of tar and feather
This sound ridiculously cool but to be honest I'm completely lost .

But since you have both can you see any reason to go with two R24s over Two q960s to have fun with melodies and pattern bussing ?

Return to “5U Format Modules”