GRP R24 Sequencer (Standalone + 5U)

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:08 am

Analog Music wrote:
zeta wrote:Ok, i’ll try my best out of my head.
First, both sequencers need the same clock source. I then use a yusynth clock divider to get a fast clock IN the r24 and the half or halfofhalf speed to Gate IN on the c961s, from there the first five serial OUTs are connected to their equal Stage INs on the q960. (No c961s on hand. Clock to Shift IN) A,B,C, gate outs from r24 to q960 stage INs. e.g. 6,7,8. Skip them 3 then. Reset on 5, the first four, normal. Q960 pitch out to Osc, whereas r24 clock out to EGs.

Should be it +-, lots of further developments, think seqential switch, y- cables awww heaven.. :hihi:
I trigger e.g. from 3rd yusynth divider out a simpleseq and then EGs

Now i’m ready to receive my costume of tar and feather
This sound ridiculously cool but to be honest I'm completely lost .

But since you have both can you see any reason to go with two R24s over Two q960s to have fun with melodies and pattern bussing ?

Thank you for your explanation but I'm lost too. Do you have a video or audio of it?
Maybe I need to buy a 960 to patch it and make it work.
thehordijkmodular.blogspot.fr

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:14 pm

zeta wrote:
Great. Thank yo very much.
I now get the triggers combined with the reset feature.

One thing that I still don't understand is how Morbius can get patterns go backwards at occasions when using the pattern bussing. :despair:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Neovintage wrote:One thing that I still don't understand is how Morbius can get patterns go backwards at occasions when using the pattern bussing. :despair:
I don't know if this is exactly what he was doing, but with two 960 sequencers, one way to do it would be to patch the individual column gate outputs of one sequencer into the individual column gate inputs of the other sequencer in REVERSE order, so output 1 goes input 8, output 2 goes to input 7, etc etc. Then, depending on the effect you want, just leave the clock off on the slave sequencer and let the master control it's position.

One module I highly recommend for any 960 sequencer owner is the COTK C961S (or maybe two of them or the dual C961D if you have two 960 sequencers) because it will allow you to do forward, reverse, ping pong, and random sequencing and is very playable as well! :tu: :sb: It can also be connected directly to a 960 behind the panel, it's easier to do this if you buy the COTK C960 since you'd just use a ribbon cable to connect the outpus of the C961S to the C960 but it's also possible if you have a DotCom or Mos-Lab 960 as well, Kazike at COTK mentioned he can provide a custom cable to do so but this was many years ago now and the details are fuzzy.

Here's my demo of it, I opted for the LED version instead of the traditional lamp version:
[video][/video]

Notron fn
Common Wiggler

Post by Notron fn » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:17 pm

There was a knock at the door this morning.
Insert pithy statement here

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Notron fn wrote:Image

There was a knock at the door this morning.
:party: :yay: :tu:

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:35 pm

The R24 is such a WONDERFUL BRAIN for a full system.

Here's a video of my studio in a just-launched Kickstarter for THE BUREAU.
It includes a 9.7 hour soundtrack, most of which is controlled by the R24.

Many views of the GRP clocking and adding random gates/cv/trills/thrills, etc

[video][/video]

Kickstarter for more information on the book and music: http://www.ep.tc/kick
Last edited by EPTC on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 pm

EPTC wrote:The R24 is such a WONDERFUL BRAIN for a full system.

Here's a video of my studio in a just-launched Kickstarter for THE BUREAU.
It includes a 9.7 hour soundtrack, most of which is controlled by the R24.

Many views of the GRP clocking and adding random gates/cv/trills/thrills, etc

[video][/video]

Kickstarter for more information on the book and music: http://www.ep.tc/kick
Wow, impressive and cool undertaking! :yay: :tu:

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:53 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Wow, impressive and cool undertaking! :yay: :tu:
Thanks so much, John! Same regards to you for all your work, as well.
Last edited by EPTC on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:22 am

EPTC wrote:
:cloud: Just pledged for the print version! :tu:

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:03 pm

JohnLRice wrote::cloud: Just pledged for the print version! :tu:
Excessive thanks and appreciations, John!!
:wookie: :wookie: :wookie: :wookie:

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:37 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
EPTC wrote:
:cloud: Just pledged for the print version! :tu:
Quick question:
Just to be clear , is it fair to say that you can not enter notes on the R-24 , it only uses it's built-in quantizer ?

Meaning you can't tell the R-24 to play a certain note ?

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:37 am

You can enter certain notes, not by digital selecting or within the grpr24 on it’s own.
I i.e. use cleartune on my phone for tunings. Easy way.
Regarding the quantizer, you can switch it of if needed.

Edit: but thinking of it :hmm:, it might be possible in a further/future update? :despair:
The basis should be there..

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:02 pm

zeta wrote:You can enter certain notes, not by digital selecting or within the grpr24 on it’s own.
I i.e. use cleartune on my phone for tunings. Easy way.
Regarding the quantizer, you can switch it of if needed.

Edit: but thinking of it :hmm:, it might be possible in a further/future update? :despair:
The basis should be there..
Yea it would be cool to be able to tell the R-24 to play the notes that I want
but maybe the point with this type of sequencer
is to just listen to your tweaks until you hear something you like
not sure what the deal is :despair:

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:34 am

Does anyone have experience with the Model 15 Reissue and R24?

Within the settings you can choose whether the gate is normal or inverted which means you can trigger gear requiring S-trig.

Thing is, the gate signal is +5v and I'm not sure that will be high enough to trigger the 911 EGs on the Model 15.

Cheers to all. :nana:
Live for gear...

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 pm

The R-24 seems fantastic but the one area that concerns me is the quantizer,
I believe it only quantize the crhomatic scale (am I wrong ?) . Now I've never used an analog sequencer before so maybe just having the chromatic scale is fine but it does seem limiting because I've seen quantizers with major, minor etc... and some even with key scales .

Is there anyway to get more scales on the R-24 even if externally ?

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Analog Music wrote:The R-24 seems fantastic but the one area that concerns me is the quantizer,
I believe it only quantize the crhomatic scale (am I wrong ?) . Now I've never used an analog sequencer before so maybe just having the chromatic scale is fine but it does seem limiting because I've seen quantizers with major, minor etc... and some even with key scales .

Is there anyway to get more scales on the R-24 even if externally ?
Quantizing notes, and changing them to notes in the chromatic scale, are often two ways of describing the same process, generally speaking.
Turn the quantizer off if you want microtonal scales, and tune the notes to your taste.
All classical major and minor scales can be built with quantized notes from the chromatic scale.
The dotcom quantizer allows you to quantize notes to specific major or minor scales, or the blues scale.
Microtonality, a big topic, describes using scales that are based on arranging your pitches in some other way than chromatically—whether it is the overtone series, or equal divisions of the octave by some number other than 12, or some user-defined series.
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:22 am

Ockeghem wrote: All classical major and minor scales can be built with quantized notes from the chromatic scale.
How would you do this on the R-24 , is it by ear ?
Ockeghem wrote:The dotcom quantizer allows you to quantize notes to specific major or minor scales, or the blues scale.
Can this be used with the R-24 externally or anything else ?

Thanks

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 am

Analog Music wrote:
Ockeghem wrote: All classical major and minor scales can be built with quantized notes from the chromatic scale.
Ockeghem wrote:The dotcom quantizer allows you to quantize notes to specific major or minor scales, or the blues scale.

Thanks
You can use the tuning knobs for each step on the sequencer, either tuning the notes by ear, or if you prefer, using a tuning app or software to get more precision. A standard theory or harmony text will tell you what scales are available, but it’s up to you to use them in your own musical context.
You could use the dotcom quantizer with the R-24, you would just need to send the cv out signal into the quantizer, and then patch that to your oscillator(s).
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:25 am

Ockeghem wrote:
Analog Music wrote:

Thanks
You can use the tuning knobs for each step on the sequencer, either tuning the notes by ear, or if you prefer, using a tuning app or software to get more precision. A standard theory or harmony text will tell you what scales are available, but it’s up to you to use them in your own musical context.
You could use the dotcom quantizer with the R-24, you would just need to send the cv out signal into the quantizer, and then patch that to your oscillator(s).
Thanks , I just got my R-24 , I was able to get some good sequences going pretty quickly .
I must say I find the R-24 manual unusable , it's written in a all specs type language , maybe a breeze for more experienced wigglers but it has me completely lost . The R-24 can really benefit from a quick start guide . I have a decent understanding of CV Gate but the R-24 is way more advanced then that.

Like why does it have dual CV Gate with start and last step when CV and Gate is already there . The manual does not explain this clearly , agin , to more experienced uses this my seem like a simple thing but a analog sequencer environment is completely new for many of us , I'm no newbie but the R-24 is some advanced $hit , that I'm having much fun with even though I don't know what half this thing does .

jo__dem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jo__dem » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:40 am

Analog Music wrote: Like why does it have dual CV Gate with start and last step when CV and Gate is already there .
these are just nice add ons IMO. not needed, but sometimes you want these options. use the start gate to trigger an envelope that sweeps an entire filter range while your sequence is playing. or use end gate to advance another sequencer that transposing your original sequence..

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Yep, that first gate is really useful for hitting one drum, as an accent during a bar, for an example.

It's even nicer on random (or pendulum) for randomizing on when that first gate gets triggered.

Prunesquallor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Prunesquallor » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:59 am

This sequencer sounds great! It sounds like you just need a dedicated quantiser and off you go.

I'm seriously considering this as the heart of my sequencing setup, for my newly acquired 5U system and my 4U, but I was thinking that for the same money I could buy second-hand 2x Doepfer A154/A154 plus a good handful of switches, etc. I know it's in Punyjack format, but it's a tried and tested classic setup. Any thoughts, comparisons? Has anyone had a similar conundrum?

Neil
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

Hansi026
Common Wiggler

red caps on the gate switches

Post by Hansi026 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Now I find it a little more clearly arranged with the red caps on the gate switches ;-)

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:34 am

For those who might be interested, I am selling mine here

Return to “5U Format Modules”