Vermona DRM 1 MkIII

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

spongebath
Learning to Wiggle

Vermona DRM 1 MkIII

Post by spongebath » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:37 am

****FIRST POST****

I'm interested in purchasing a Vermona DRM 1 mkIII and am curious as to whether it holds up to extended live performance? Essentially, this is a build quality question. Anyone have one?

Klaus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Klaus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:45 am

My mate has one, build solid enough. Wouldn't wanna use it live thou. The range of the knobs is very wide and would prolly be a pain in the ass adjusting live. Now that you have a post, use the search funcion. Theres already a bunch of threads on the topic, all of which says pretty much the same thing :)

And welcome :guinness:

stickmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickmann » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:51 am

Build quality was very good from my experience. I'm not sure it would be the best for a live performance, however. No presets, many knobs. You would really have to be a master of it to dial up the sounds you want quickly. If you avoid Multi and Drum 1 & 2, it would be much easier because those sounds have such a huge range. Probably a better idea is to sample the DRM and use the sampler for live applications.

lmgrovllum
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lmgrovllum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Welcome to the board spongebath... We were just speaking about this in person the other night :tu:

the tone ranger
Common Wiggler

Post by the tone ranger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 pm

I'm not really sure about the build quality. I know a few people who have had problems with theirs. Mine was fine while I had it, but about a year after I sold it the buyer contact me about it's warranty. The "multi" instrument also bleeds a bit. Most people wouldn't care but I've seen people moaning about it on forums.
Last edited by the tone ranger on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickleinn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pickleinn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:28 pm

i thought build quality was OK, not great, not bad.

lots of knobs - could be bad for live (or great for tweaking).

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:21 am

Build quality is great, not just "ok." Especially compared to some of the stuff out there like MFB, which feels like a kit someone built. But most of the sounds can RADICALLY change with small amounts of knob travel, which could be a liability live.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

lvoemachine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lvoemachine » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:14 am

i had one and always said i could do a whole live set with just it BECAUSE of the wide values. heres me playing essentially the same beat for ten min, just changing tones and muting it.

the clap is a touch quiet, but i always just gave it its own mixwer channel anyways for reverb etc.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Build quality was fine on mine, it arrived with a broken clap sound, but vermona sent me a replacement rom that was super easy to fit.

They even sent me the wooden side panels as an apology!

Not sure I would want to gig with one tbh.

I did a whole playlist of each drum here...

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:36 pm

lvoemachine wrote:i had one and always said i could do a whole live set with just it BECAUSE of the wide values. heres me playing essentially the same beat for ten min, just changing tones and muting it.

the clap is a touch quiet, but i always just gave it its own mixwer channel anyways for reverb etc.

That's really cool! I also like to experiment with the DRM-1 mkIII outside of the usual drum sounds as well. So much fun! Especially with the CV trigger inputs and a modular :bananaguitar:

I think the DRM-1 has great build quality, but for live use I would just sample the sounds I needed (unless you want to do a more experimental performance, in which you have time for all those knobs).
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

Zenn
Hired Geek

Post by Zenn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 am

I own a MKII. Build quality: awesome. Usable for live? I fully agree with lvoemachine... you can do entire livesets with one of these boys. Add a distortion on one side, clean or delay on the other side and you have a build-in aux using the panpot. The individual outs can also be used for insert-effects using an insert cable.

Before I owned a Cirklon I used a TR-505 for sequencing.

Truth be told, it can be hard to reproduce a particular kick or tom but when you're all over all knobs while playing...who cares? Stuff like the multi and the toms can be used as blasterbleeps or three-tone basslines.

The lots of knobs argument is invalid as the layout is very clear and consistent. I colourized some of the knobs (filters for snare, hhs & claps) for extra-easy recognition.

This is mostly DRM-1. the agressive bleeps are the multi, the filtering of the HHs , snare and claps is all on the DRM:
http://soundcloud.com/zenn-1/suitcase-freakout

drox
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drox » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:36 pm

Zenn wrote:you can do entire livesets with one of these boys. Add a distortion on one side, clean or delay on the other side and you have a build-in aux using the panpot. The individual outs can also be used for insert-effects using an insert cable.
thanks for sharing this tip, wouldn't have thought of adding insert to the individual outs.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:37 am

lvoemachine wrote:i had one and always said i could do a whole live set with just it BECAUSE of the wide values. heres me playing essentially the same beat for ten min, just changing tones and muting it.

Quoting this again, because I just posted my own DRM-only jam session yesterday! So much fun :banana:

[video][/video]
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

ActionMaxVA
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ActionMaxVA » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 am

I have been happy with mine. It is solid and has performed well. I would agree the knobs are very sensitive depending on the parameter. Like on the bass drum pitch for example. I wish it had more fine adjustments. I feel like the knobs are fine its just certain parameters would benefit from a longer throw.

montyonthrun
1-Post Wiggler

Purchase DRMIII

Post by montyonthrun » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi all

I am new here and I know this is an old thread but if anyone is out there.

I am thinking of getting a DRMIII sent from Germany direct.

Was wondering if there are issues with power? Or can they be "switched" from 120 to 220 etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Chris

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Purchase DRMIII

Post by kwaidan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:30 pm

montyonthrun wrote:Hi all

I am new here and I know this is an old thread but if anyone is out there.

I am thinking of getting a DRMIII sent from Germany direct.

Was wondering if there are issues with power? Or can they be "switched" from 120 to 220 etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Chris
Perfect Circuit, Noisebug, Big City Music, and Analogue Haven sell them, or is sales tax that bad in California?

As for power, the switch is internal. Vermona sets up the correct voltage setting at the factory, and if you try to change it, the warranty is voided.

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:23 pm

DRM1 MKIII is on my wishlist for years :razz:
Wish i'll be able to get one soon !

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:25 am

Can I get some opinions on putting the trigger inputs on the front, 1/8 inch for euro sequencing? Would this have any negative impact on resale vale if it was done cleanly for example?

mookmoof
Common Wiggler

Post by mookmoof » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:31 am

I would guess positive impact on resale value

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Well, lots of room for such a mod. Almost like front jacks was a consideration. There are also loads of pots inside. I wonder what they dooz!

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:15 am

excellent idea. does yours already have the gate inputs? I'd imagine it's a pretty easy mod, if so.

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Subbing for mad interest. :yay:

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:15 pm

Can any vermona DRM owners comment on the pot quality? Are they bolted to the panel? metal or plastic shaft? do they wobble at all?

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:18 am

If my twincussion is any indication, it's good enough i bought two and pretty much use them exclusively as voices because theyre so damn versatile

I've had a few Vermona modules and they are all absolutely top notch build quality One thing to understand about Vermona is they take high build quality VERY seriously so it shouldn't even be a point of concern!

I think as mentioned above, you'd have to be more worried that a very subtle change makes a greater impact than one might anticipate. I think it's why the knobs are so large and travel so uniformly.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:13 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:If my twincussion is any indication, it's good enough i bought two and pretty much use them exclusively as voices because theyre so damn versatile
Getting us slightly off topic here, but would love to hear more about the types of patches and voices you create with twincussion!

Return to “General Gear”