MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is there much interest for DIY Euro?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Is there much interest for DIY Euro?
Synthbuilder
I'm more known for my 5U MOTM compatible modular systems and, in particular, catering for the DIY crowd. As Krisp1 and I are currently venturing into the ready made Euro format I am interested to know whether there is much scope for making our new Euro designs available as PCBs and pot kits.

Right now I'm getting a vibe that there is only a little interest in DIY Euro. I guess mostly because any savings one makes by DIYing are relatively small.

It takes quite a bit of time doing good documentation for DIY projects. So what I would like to find out now is whether it will be worthwhile for me to invest in such a task. At the moment we have just three small Euro DIY projects - but if there is any reasonable demand I will start to make building documentation available on all our new range of modules in the future.

What do you think?

Many thanks,

Tony
Veqtor
More euro diy-kits would be most welcome!!!
Cat-A-Tonic
Hell Yes!!!
Oakley kits would rule!
More kits available in Euro &/or Frac would be great!
a100user
Hi Tony,

I've responded to this question before and I'm also biased as you can see from the picture below.



I think for me the key thing is, what does the module do that I can't get from elsewhere? It might be functionality, fidelity or whatever.

I would encourage promoting Euro DIY.

Have a word with Fonik. He does most of his DIY in Euro format and I have several of his boards waiting to be built.

David
e-grad
I'd possibly in the market for Frac kits.
robotfunk
aching for more euro DIY kits !
chinard
Synthbuilder wrote:
What do you think?


abso-motherfucking-lutley!
SlayerBadger! w00t MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Hi5
more euro kits would be welcomed. I love my blank aluminum panels with sharpie and all but proper panels in a kit would be nice.
modularplanner
I'd be interested in full kits or either PCB and panel and I'll source the parts myself from a bom list.
kopplog
f*k, great!
shure, I´d ordering for some more work at home nanners !!!

I already were so glad about the 2120 RM (is it?) krisp1 is doing since a time now. The sound is so classic-

I´d love to get one equinoxe thinking fast now- hmmm.....
not because I´d need it very much maybe.
but to me the soundsamples existing are so yummy!
This is fun!


... and please with frontpanel too!!
Reptil
yes! razz
intellijel
I want kits... but only if they come with the option for a nicely made panel. To me this has been a major omission from everyone organising any form of DIY. Panels and mechanical aspects of building the module often end up being the most expensive and time consuming aspect.

It is really economical to have Metalphoto panels made (printed and cut) so long as you are making more than 20 of them...so this is perfect for someone organizing to supply with their kit but not feasible for a single DIYer to procure after they buy a kit.

btw, I also think that Euro is becoming the dominant format so it is another good reason to be looking into doing more work here.
Roycie Roller
If you do end up offering kits, i'd suggest supplying ready made ribbon cables with adapters fitted (for a few extra bucks).
Without the right tools, those adapters are a PITA to assemble, & often break up easily.
Waz
Euro kits would be awesome! They'd have to run off of 15v for me tho. My DIY euro rack is 15v and my standard euro is obviously 12v. If you made the modules to run off of both I'm sure you'd get frac guys and euro guys buying kits.
wetterberg
I'm doing a big diy rig, and it'll be in all euro. I'd love to see Oakley done up proper for euro; with options up to and including panels.
krisp14u
Waz wrote:
Euro kits would be awesome! They'd have to run off of 15v for me tho. My DIY euro rack is 15v and my standard euro is obviously 12v. If you made the modules to run off of both I'm sure you'd get frac guys and euro guys buying kits.


The three diy 3U PCB's we have for sale run on both 15V and 12V
Some need a resistor change hear or there which is all in the docs that tony is spending his precious time writing thumbs up
Synesthesia
kits are seriously laking - the panther serie is ok, but the choice is not really there.

But well, I still find stuff to do, pcb's etc ...
krisp14u
Roycie Roller wrote:
If you do end up offering kits, i'd suggest supplying ready made ribbon cables with adapters fitted (for a few extra bucks).
Without the right tools, those adapters are a PITA to assemble, & often break up easily.


this would be no problem and if anyone want any power ribbons making up give me a shout Mr. Green
Waz
Also, If you gave kit options that would be awesome. For example some people like to source their own parts and would just want the boards. Some people want the Boards and Parts but don't need a faceplate.

The one thing I hate about Blacet is that they force you into buying all the stuff from them.
krisp14u
One word keeps cropping up in the replies and that’s kits seriously, i just don't get it

To do full kits costs almost as much as doing a fully built module and putting full kits together is more mind numbing than watching paint dry Dead Banana
Resistors and little bags it don’t sound like fun to me

If you could buy a finished module for lets say £100 would you pay £75-£85 for a full kit? woah

I have thought about doing a more partial kits. PCB, Front panel, pots/brackets, switches, and IC/IC-Sockets and maybe any hard to score parts like temp-co resistors and what not w00t power ribbons w00t

A kit that is quite quick for me to put together so the price is for the components not the time it takes me to put it together

All other parts could be got from any one internet parts store Rapid-Mouser-Farnell and so on
e-grad
krisp14u wrote:
I have thought about doing a more partial kits. PCB, Front panel, pots/brackets, switches, and IC/IC-Sockets and maybe any hard to score parts like temp-co resistors and what not w00t power ribbons w00t


That would be fine for me. Given you're going to offer Frac panels as well.
Waz
krisp14u wrote:
One word keeps cropping up in the replies and that’s kits seriously, i just don't get it

To do full kits costs almost as much as doing a fully built module and putting full kits together is more mind numbing than watching paint dry Dead Banana
Resistors and little bags it don’t sound like fun to me

If you could buy a finished module for lets say £100 would you pay £75-£85 for a full kit? woah

I have thought about doing a more partial kits. PCB, Front panel, pots/brackets, switches, and IC/IC-Sockets and maybe any hard to score parts like temp-co resistors and what not w00t power ribbons w00t

A kit that is quite quick for me to put together so the price is for the components not the time it takes me to put it together

All other parts could be got from any one internet parts store Rapid-Mouser-Farnell and so on


I'd be down for that. Personally I'd like the option to buy just the boards as well.
chinard
I kinda like the model of just making PCB's with all the resources to do the rest yourself (BOM with mouser part numbers, FPD files, build documents with lots of pictures...) but also having optional parts kits and optional pre-fabbed front panels kinda like how bridechamber does.
Having pre-fabbed front panels will save the builder (us) alot of money collectively because you can get them fabbed in bulk, but i find that doesnt lend well to variances in part sizes (cliff jacks for example are much larger than other 1/8" jacks)

I also like the way fonik works by only distributing the pcb's and providing really kickass build documents and Front panel express files that you can tweak. This allows builder alot more flexibility in part selection, frontpanel layout, and other associated mods.

Anyways, Oakley DIY kits for euro?
Bring em on!
Just make sure the power header can take the ribbon cable so we dont have to jerry rig for a blacet or motm type plug, and also try to keep the pcb size small enough to fit lengthwise into a doepfer G6 case (4 1/2" clearance IIRC)
krisp14u
Waz wrote:
Personally I'd like the option to buy just the boards as well.


that option is there now but it's the lack of sales that is threatening it
pheops
absolutely, i'm in.
my preference is the pcb/component kit, minus the pots, jacks, and faceplate (bridechamber style).
that way i can choose the pot shaft style i want to fit the knobs i like (d-shaft, star, etc)...and choose the jacks i prefer.
laying out panels is half the fun for me, and a big part of why i would go DIY over pre-built. a whole rack of panels in my own style would be killer. i don't mind the time and expense there...
yes!

d
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group