MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Extension Boxes to use with your TO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Author Extension Boxes to use with your TO
Paranormal Patroler
No, not the hairy type.

Although the TO is my go-to sequencer I find it lacks on several aspects. I've been steadily collecting various MIDI boxes to supplement and extend its capabilities and make things more interesting. I have knack for midi boxes and midi in general (second only to richard and StepLogik it seems) but I'm always concentrated on pushing what my TO setup can pull off.

There are many interesting boxes out there, for instance I just bought my second Arpie which I find does marvels with the TO. One other really useful box is Gotharman's Randomizer, but you need to filter the Real Time messages before it 'cause it gets weird otherwise.

So, what do you guys use?
ersatzplanet
You should get into MAX or PureData. You can create any MIDI device you can think of with them - of course that is the main hurdle, YOU have to think of them. I have to admit that other people often come up with ideas I never would of thought of, often...
Paranormal Patroler
Apart from trying to avoid the computer method I do have a thing for physical objects. Got two MidiPals which I need to get down and code some apps for, but that's as close I want to get to that.

Lost the Fyrd MCP, although I'm not sure it would be a good purchase what with the lack of support and coders. Still, there must be more MIDI related boxes out there than we know about.
ersatzplanet
It would be nice to have a system like a Nord Modular for MIDI though. Where you would make a great MAX or PD patch and then be able to download it into stand alone hardware (along with 50 other patches). Maybe when these micro-PC get powerful enough. Just a box with lots of knobs, switches, LCD displays and a beefed up RaspberryPi or such inside it.
mckenic
I like the SFX-JII and hoping the upcoming Morph4 will add to my midi set-up!

Of course I have the Arpie too thumbs up
Paranormal Patroler
So are these two controllers for CC messages?

I do want to use the MicroModular as a MIDI box but mine has a really stupid problem. It's recognized by my Windows 7 OS, I can make new patches and everything works but I can't seem to save them on the MM. It does have MIDI IN/OUT so I assume I could create some interesting MIDI mangling stuff with it. 99 patches available as well, so it's kind of a dream box.
mckenic
I only know 1st hand about the SFX... yet!hihi Battery powered Midi CC box - Love it! I hope the Morph4 comes soon

I did 2 videos messing about -

(skip to about 2:30 for the good bits!)

Of course, Guga's videos are much better explaining whats going on - http://www.gugabox.com/projects/sfx-jii/
Paranormal Patroler
So, anybody else out there who uses MIDI boxes? I've collected a ton by now.

Event Processor Plus by MidiSolutions is a good workaround for CC messages.
ltm
i have 2 midipals and looking around for other boxes; like those mentioned in this thread smile
Paranormal Patroler
Midipals are amazing! Especially the Delay mode is excellent for the TO. Got two Midipals myself (also two MidiBuds that I need to solder).
Paranormal Patroler
I'm bumping this thread for a good reason. Everyone should buy a MidiSolutions Event Processor Plus box! You won't believe how amazing the TO becomes if you add this box to it.

I'll be happy to help you guys with any questions about programming the EPP (to the best of my abilities). I've managed to remap some layers to output CC and Velocity values for other layers and it KICKS ASS!
lotri22
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I'm bumping this thread for a good reason. Everyone should buy a MidiSolutions Event Processor Plus box! You won't believe how amazing the TO becomes if you add this box to it.

I'll be happy to help you guys with any questions about programming the EPP (to the best of my abilities). I've managed to remap some layers to output CC and Velocity values for other layers and it KICKS ASS!

Hi

would you prefer midipal or the midi solutions?
they are almost the same price
Paranormal Patroler
lotri22 wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

Hi

would you prefer midipal or the midi solutions?
they are almost the same price

They are totally different though. The MIDIPal is very musically oriented, it does contain some very useful applications for routing and filtering but is nowhere near as multifunctional as the EPP. On the other hand the EPP doesn't have any stuff as cool as the MIDI Delay app of the MIDIPal. I own both; I actually have two of each!

This is a total apples & oranges occasion. Depends on what you want to do!
lotri22
Thanks for the answer

for me TO is musical enough, if I could set the midi channel independently for each layer and scale for each layer that would be enough for me now smile
with the midi solutions processor it seems like I would reroute midi channels, so I could use layers 1-4…midi ch.1, 5-8…midi ch.2…..
4 layers for each of the voices on Vermona P4m
with 4 layers,I can make melodies with different note lengths at least
another useful function would be a simple switch between major and relative minor scales,maybe midi pal could do this…?!
Paranormal Patroler
Don't forget that MIDIPal only does one channel at a time. So if you want to use it as a quantizer (for a different scale than the one the TO has) it will be able to change the scale on only one layer/channel.

What you could do is get the EPP and remap the layers (as you suggested) and then plug the MIDIPal after that so you get 4 layers into 1 channel, 4 other layers into a second channel and these channels will be on different scales. No hardware scaler out there for multiple channels as far as I know. The EPP does not do scales ,obviously, but it could probably be programmed to do so. Not that good of a choice IMHO but it's possible*.

On the other hand if the Vermona Performer accepts velocity you can remap a layer to handle the velocity values of another layer, which is amazingly cool! I do layers 1-4 straight, 5-8 go out as 1-4 (so I get two layers per channel), 9-12 handle velocities for 1-4 and 13-16 velocities for 5-8. You won't believe the results!

As I said, I have two MIDIPals and two EPPs and an assortment of other boxes to enhance the TO's capabilities. I'll post pictures of my setup in the Tenori-On subforum when it's ready. love

* Coming to think of it if you do 7 note scales you can probably program the EPP to contain 4 different scales and also program 4 "switches" to externally control which scale is used at each time. I need to think this through to see if it's indeed possible but in theory I can see it being programmed fairly easily - maybe I'll try it myself at a later date and report back.
lotri22
Thx
I will def buy the midisolutions unit, it should be available locally ,they are from Burnaby BC. Midipal is sold out for now anyway,and cant afford both now
even 100% keyb tracking on vcf is fun,kind of velocity control, but yes the perfourmer recognizes velocities mapped to vca's. looking forward to play with it
Paranormal Patroler
There's a MIDIPal available in BST and it's on your side of the globe. I think it's fairly cheap at $100, you should check it out. Personally I always consider 'em when I see them in BST. oops But I have two and I also have two MIDIbud PCBs so I'm more than covered.

EPP will probably be cheaper if you buy direct, right?
Paranormal Patroler
Bumping my own thread after all these years to say that I now own a Fyrd MCP as well SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Page 1 of 1