MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Splicer... (new mini-project)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Splicer... (new mini-project)
monstrinho
One question; is this DC coupled? I'm just imagining the sorts of results you might get by plugging two sides of a DUSG into this. Or two LFOs or...
BugBrand
Yes (DC coupled)

Does DUSG produce Unipolar voltages? (ie. 0V to +10V)
If so then it ain't no use (without prior offsetting) as the inputs here need to be bipolar.
J3RK
Quick update. The prototypes will be back by the end of the week or beginning of next.

I believe the VCS can output an AC waveform, but I'm not sure about the DUSG. I haven't looked closely at that. You could always add a couple of differential amplifiers to this, with a switch.
Nantonos
Is there any particular reason why one CV is used for both halves? It seems from the schematic that these could easily be independent CV1 and CV2 (perhaps with the CV2 jack normalled to CV1). Or am I missing something?
yan6
I think i would be in for one of these
recompas
I'd be interested in at least one of these if you end up selling any boards - or are you planning on exclusively going through synthcube for this? Either is cool with me. Looks like a fun little module!
J3RK
They'll go through Synthcube mainly. I'll probably have a few on-hand as well.
J3RK
Nantonos wrote:
Is there any particular reason why one CV is used for both halves? It seems from the schematic that these could easily be independent CV1 and CV2 (perhaps with the CV2 jack normalled to CV1). Or am I missing something?

It works sort of like a crossfade the way it was added. So negative CVs fade one way, and positive fade the other. I'm not sure what there would be to gain by doing them separately, unless (as discussed previously) there was a VCA before each waveform input. However, for this particular board, I wanted to keep things simple, so it can be used as an addition to other projects in a supplemental way.

I have a VCA board that is the same size with the same mounting spec. Two of them could be stacked with this to allow VC attenuation of each input, plus the CV to fade between them. I don't know what this would look/sound like, at the moment, but could try it out a little bit when the PCBs get back to me to see if it's a useful configuration.

However, I also make a VC crossfader that's already available, that does this sort of thing already, so this is really for a different use.
Nantonos
Aha, that makes sense, thanks. (I had seen the earlier messages about input VCAs but not made the connection until you explained it).
J3RK
No problem! We'll see how it works out as soon as I get those boards out. I have a pair of the same VCAs that I can try it with, so we can see if it makes any significant difference, or makes things more fun that way. Mr. Green
J3RK
iL
sweet!

whats the vco part? it got two power ins?
J3RK
I just put multiple projects on one prototype board for testing. The Splicer is just the part below the line. The VCO is the new 4U version of the MirrorCore VCO. (there's a thread for that down a bit from this one)

w00t
J3RK
Splicing!

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/Splice.mp3

This is simply a sawtooth and a square from the same VCO being run into the inputs, and a sine wave LFO into the CV input.

The splices without modulation look perfect, one wave above 0V the other below 0V. The overall effect when modulated is very similar to a crossfader fading two waveforms (or any other VC Wave circuit for that matter.) At LFO rates, the spliced (with no modulation) waveforms make interesting modulation sources.

w00t
iL
i like it.

sounds like some ringmodulation or am modulation on fast duty. as modulation source i could imagine what that would mean.

nice.
apertureburn
very cool! I'd be interested in 2.

synthcube to have boards and panels?
J3RK
Yes, Synthcube will have these soon. I'll be placing the order today, and the boards should be in stock around 2 weeks later. I just got the IO list to Clarke for a dual Splicer panel. w00t
Rigo
J3RK wrote:
Yes, Synthcube will have these soon. I'll be placing the order today, and the boards should be in stock around 2 weeks later. I just got the IO list to Clarke for a dual Splicer panel. w00t

w00t indeed ... Will PCB and Panel only be available at Synthcube, or would Thonk stock them to ?
microfauna
Rigo wrote:

w00t indeed ... Will PCB and Panel only be available at Synthcube, or would Thonk stock them to ?

A complete kit would make a perfect DIY beginners project.
J3RK
I'm quite happy to send PCBs over to Thonk. Just need to arrange it.
Rigo
J3RK wrote:
I'm quite happy to send PCBs over to Thonk. Just need to arrange it.

My backlog hates you hihi
microtonal
This circuit falls into the diode based waveform splicer category. For a similar circuit look here:
http://electro-music.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Schematics.WaveWiper
J3RK
Interesting, and very similar. I hadn't seen that one before. I was more basing mine off of my perceived function of the Plan B splicer. I never used one of the Plan Bs, so I set out to do something similar.

I've seen quite a few of Phobos' circuits before though, and quite like them. thumbs up
microtonal
The Phobos circuit was derived from Jim Patchell's "mother of all" Diode Waveshapers:

http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/motm/dws.html

http://electro-music.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Schematics.DiodeWaveshaperB yJimPatchell
microtonal
Actually that second schematic link is not the "mother of all" diode wave shapers as shown in the MOTM build project, but a reduced circuit by Jim Patchell. The big circuit seems to no longer be available online.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5