MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quad Clock Distributor (QCD) Video Manual
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Quad Clock Distributor (QCD) Video Manual
4mspedals

The QCD will be shipping to dealers starting December 9.

Retail price is $239

The QCD Expander will follow shortly!

The specs have has changed slightly from the stuff buried in other threads... so I wanted to post the official & final info here:

Basic features

- Four CV-controlled Clock Divider/Multipliers
- Tap tempo button and five sync'ed clock outputs make the QCD perfect for head-of-the-chain "Master" clock module
- Tap clock output runs at the tapped tempo (even if other channels are being clocked externally)
- Create complex rhythmic patterns by patching multiple channels into each other's Div/Mult CV and Reset
- Each of the four channels has an independent clock IN, OUT, Reset and Div/Mult CV
- Divide or Multiply incoming clock from /32 to x16 on each channel (Detented knob to snap to integer division/multiples, and CV jack to modulate Div/Mult amount)
- Reset jack (per channel) restarts the clock when a trigger is received (alters phase of clock)
- Clock input jacks are normalized downwards: Tap->Red->Black->Blue->Green
- Clock outputs stop automatically when incoming clock stops
- LEDs blink to output clocks' tempos
- 5V clock output pulses, fully buffered. Default is square-wave, and PW is controllable with expander
- Daisy chain multiple QCDs or other clock modules using Tap Out jack
- CLKOUT Header on the PCB connects to Quad Pingable LFO (QPLFO) to provide four CV Skew-able, CV Div/Mult-able envelopes. Also can connect to other modules such as the Circuit Abbey Intermix, or 4ms VCA Matrix
- EXPAND Header connects QCD Expander for more features (Pulse Width, Inverted Gate, attenuverters for CV inputs)
- Adjustable LED Brightness using a screwdriver through a hole in the panel. Super dim to super bright!

Module size
The QCD is 10HP and 1.57 inches (40mm) deep.
All pots have a metal shaft and nut.

Power consumption
A jumper selects using +5V from the power supply, or generating +5V on-board from the +12V rail.

+12V rail:
48mA with jumper selecting external 5V
88mA with jumper selecting internal 5V.
+5V rail:
41mA with jumper selecting external 5V
not used (0mA) with jumper selecting internal 5V.
-12V rail: 40mA
ikkini
Wow !!! applause
kuxaan-sum
It's peanut butter jelly time!
cubisteffects
Great clock functionality/design here. Can't wait to try it.
MindMachine
Thank you for the official announcement and specs. This is an awesome design. w00t

Anticipation of this one has been eating at me since last NAMM. Control will be getting a call soon.
wbuttler
At last! Dimmable LEDs!
Paranormal Patroler
All over it already!
Thinksyncopated
available as a kit?
cger
Such an awesome module!
4mspedals
And here's the written manual: I'd be happy to answer any questions too!

QCD User Manual v1.0

Quote:

available as a kit?

Yes, but not for a while. The QPLFO kit will be next....
allert
I am not allowing myself to buy more clock or sequence modules next to my G8, 160 and161 for a while because I feel I need to work my Cirklon to the bone first.

But when I've done that (probably February '14) this will be the first thing I get.
malnatim
really looking forward to the expander module. is there any news about it? i guess it must be coming v soon. i hope so!
Fastus
Will the QCD stop whenever clock input stops (e.g. when DAW sequencer stops outputting clock) or does it continue once it's fed a tempo - like the PEG does?

I really like that 'persistent' clock aspect of the PEG
VanEck
Fastus wrote:
Will the QCD stop whenever clock input stops (e.g. when DAW sequencer stops outputting clock) or does it continue once it's fed a tempo - like the PEG does?

It will stop when the clock input stops, unless you are using TAP.
4mspedals
VanEck wrote:
Fastus wrote:

It will stop when the clock input stops, unless you are using TAP.

Right. It detects when the incoming clock has stopped, and then stops the outgoing clock. But the TAP clock keeps running... That said, it's certainly possible to upload firmware where the clock keeps going. If there's demand for this, I'd offer "free-running clock" upgrade chips on our site...

malnatim wrote:
really looking forward to the expander module. is there any news about it? i guess it must be coming v soon. i hope so!

Yep! We're almost done assembling the first batch and are about to announce the ship date, price, and the manual... stay tuned to a thread near you..
malnatim
many thanks! i look forward to this.
Fastus
Quote:
it's certainly possible to upload firmware where the clock keeps going. If there's demand for this, I'd offer "free-running clock" upgrade chips on our site...

That would be great! It would mean I could tweak / develop my patch without having to run the DAW sequencer all the time applause
4mspedals
Fastus wrote:
Quote:
it's certainly possible to upload firmware where the clock keeps going. If there's demand for this, I'd offer "free-running clock" upgrade chips on our site...

That would be great! It would mean I could tweak / develop my patch without having to run the DAW sequencer all the time applause

OK, I tweaked the code, and have a firmware version that's free-running. With this mod, if you tap a tempo, and then clear the tempo, it will keep running (there's actually no way to get it to stop!!)
Anyone with an AVR programmer who wants to play with it, here's the code and hex file:
https://github.com/4ms/qcd-channel

After it's been tested (by someone else than myself), I'll make the chips available on our site
solaris
to those of you who have a QCD:
how do you stop it via CV? do you send a zero volt(?) to the div/mult input or something like that?
I have for now the SCM and I find v.useful the "mute" jack.
reodjectz
solaris wrote:
how do you stop it via CV? do you send a zero volt(?) to the div/mult input or something like that?

Sadly I stick a dummy cable in the first clocks input.

I have been thinking of always running the QCD's tap out to the in on my SCM and the x1 on the SCM to the first clock on the QCD... then I could use the SCM's mute for all my clocks at once.

-v
solaris
reodjectz wrote:
solaris wrote:

Sadly I stick a dummy cable in the first clocks input.

I have been thinking of always running the QCD's tap out to the in on my SCM and the x1 on the SCM to the first clock on the QCD... then I could use the SCM's mute for all my clocks at once.

-v

ehhh yes, the "stick a cable in to stop it" it's a bit sad :-) and funny.
I was planning to swap the SCM for a QCD, so having both is not an option (real estate wise also) - but your idea seems good.
btw is the div/mult CV in -5V/+5V, or 0V-10V?
reodjectz
solaris wrote:

btw is the div/mult CV in -5V/+5V, or 0V-10V?

0v-10v

But I have the expander as well so you can set it to one tempo and have it div rather than mult with a positive voltage.
solaris
ok so I grabbed a QCD and I notice a major(?) difference with the SCM...

as the QCD manual states:
Auto-stop: each channel stops automatically when the incoming clock stops

whereas the SCM do not stops.

with the SCM, if I slow down the clock being sent, it continues
to run at whatever speed it was running, and then it slows down
after a couple of pulses, as soon as it calculates the new speed.
fine.

but if I do the same on the QCD, the clock stops and restarts
after having received the 2nd slower pulse.

does anyone know it there's a way of bypassing this and have the QCD
running even if the ext clock slows down?
eldradthemad
if I have this I don't need a divider?
solaris
eldradthemad wrote:
if I have this I don't need a divider?

with the QCD you can have up to 4 dividers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2