MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is everone here an engineer wizard or something?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Is everone here an engineer wizard or something?
alternating.bit
Hello all, I'm just stepping into the world of modular synthesis (my first set is on order from dotcom)... browsing through the threads it seems like everyone here can talk about voltages and analog wave shaping like Mr. Spock. Am I the only one entering this world without any such knowledge?

I've composed electronic music since the early 90s so I'm not new to the sound of analog, etc., and I understand the basics of sound shaping via a synthesizer, but to be honest I'm not sure I'll have much of a clue as to what I'll be doing. I'm just really lured by the eye candy of these massive walls of plugs and dials and from all of the online vids look like it will be an awesome adventure. I have some CV-based synths and a Doepfer MAQ 16/3 sequencer and have been fiddling around with that but... Does anyone else look at a faceplate and think "omg, I have no idea what that one does but it looks beautiful, I've got to have it" or is it more like all of the techy talk I see about frequency responses and detailed functions that you all are drawn to?

(my current lust is the beauty of the STG Mankato Filter... I love things circular... too bad I'm going to stick with dotcom 5U because the MFOS sequencer down below just looks SO wow... I think it doesn't fit a standard dotcom rack, but I digress)

falafelbiels
You'll be the one patching while the others are talking about patching...
Synesthesia
Check Re:Synthesis, he does a MU panel for the MFOS Sequencer : http://www.bigbluewave.co.uk/resynthesis/images/mfos_16step_rot_seq-me d.jpg

...so it would fit a dotcom rack smile

I'd be the same, I'm just drewling infront of the NV Klee or the Circular Klee... those modules are soooo nice to look at wink

Or Frequency shifter .... http://www.modcan.com/bmodules/freqshifter.html

I like these 2 too - LPG and MPS layout. I have a few of those on the way wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIe4X6c2G4E
flo
No, not everybody here is an engineering wizard (I'm none whatsoever) and you don't have to be one to grasp the basics of modular synthesis. When you've been into synths for 20 years, you won't have too much problems I would think...

The few engineers that do frequent the forum are more than helpful though! Thanks guys, you know who you are!

MFOS is DIY, you can do it in any format you want.
alternating.bit
flo wrote:

MFOS is DIY, you can do it in any format you want.

I was wondering why I could never understand how to actually ORDER an assembled MFOS sequencer sad

So there is no vendor that sells them pre-made? I'm certainly not the soldering wire PC board type...
sonicwarrior
alternating.bit wrote:
So there is no vendor that sells them pre-made?

There are people who will assemble DIY projects for you:

In the US:
Analog Craftsman or Megaohm Audio are the first to come in my mind.
DomMorley
I wish I was a wizard. waah
decaying.sine
DomMorley wrote:
I wish I was a wizard. waah

If you smoke the shire leaf, you shall pass.
sduck
I'm a fucking engineering wizard, and I don't know jackshit.

That Decaying.sine guy, he's an actual wizard. Of several kinds.
dude
looks like a blizzard is coming. and thanksgiving gizzard.

certainly not a wizard but i love talking voltages mamapops.

Buchla MARF Boat Animal! nuts Drugs Nutter!

i definitely used to freak about the circles. mankato is wonderful.
decaying.sine
sduck wrote:
I'm a fucking engineering wizard, and I don't know jackshit.

That Decaying.sine guy, he's an actual wizard. Of several kinds.

Superb Design Unprecedented Construction and Knowledge --> s.d.u.c.k. SlayerBadger!
Synthbuilder
I'm an engineer, although I am not a wizard.

I do, however, know that the infamous treasure hoarding worm's name is pronounced 'smorg'. Dead Banana

I'll get my cape...

Tony
Xero
I'm not an electronics engineer but I am a computer systems engineer. I think you sort of learn to be a little bit of an electronics engineer after working with synths and modulars enough, if you so choose anyway. Just owning a bunch of vintage synths has made it almost a requirement to know a little bit about repairing them, it gets expensive to run down to the tech every time there's a problem. When I realized I could DIY my own modules and potentially save a buck, hell yeah why not? Though I have only completed one kit module so far.
alternating.bit
I'm confused, the poster of the photo below stated " i finally put all MOTM upstairs and MU below, all osc/vcfs/egs/ grouped together etc."

Are "MOTM"s compatible with dotcoms (5U, I guess) in the same rack?
Is that some "MOTM" rotary sequencer or is it the same MFOS one that I'm craving?
I see that BrideChamber's site distinguishes between "MOTM 5U" and "DotCom 5"...

DomMorley
I'm actually a sound engineer, which is no kind of engineer at all.

I'm currently reading "Electronics Engineering For Dummies" (really) so I can understand circuits a little as I'm hoping to DIY a bit of 4U stuff. For all my DIY 5U modules, I bought them from people who knew what they were doing. Mostly Krisp1, Synthcube and decaying.sine.
sonicwarrior
alternating.bit wrote:

One single module width in MOTM is 1,75" and 2,125" in MU. Also the mounting holes are different in size and position.

So it's only compatible with wooden rails. 14 MU modules fit in the same size as 17 MOTM modules.
alternating.bit
sonicwarrior wrote:
alternating.bit wrote:

One single module width in MOTM is 1,75" and 2,125" in MU. Also the mounting holes are different in size and position.

So it's only compatible with wooden rails. 14 MU modules fit in the same size as 17 MOTM modules.

Hmmmm, so let me ask this:

Is there a standard 19" rackmount bracket that the MOTM series can fit in? (like 5U or 6U in a rack).

If so I could have one row of MOTM and one row of DotCom in the same rack, right?
JohnLRice
alternating.bit wrote:

alternating.bit wrote:
I see that BrideChamber's site distinguishes between "MOTM 5U" and "DotCom 5"...

5U refers to the height of a module. A "U" is the height of a standard 19" rackmount panel (1.75")

The original Moog modules, the various Moog module clones and look-a-likes, the original MOTM format modules and Modcan B are all 5U tall and 'can' fit into the same 5U tall rack space.

Moog and MOTM panels use different widths and mounting holes though.

The term DotCom refers to Synthesizers.com modules of course but it also tends to get used to refer to any systems using Moog sized modules that isn't predominantly all from another manufacturer.

MU is a relatively new term, coined by the clever Suit 'n Tie Guy (STG) I believe, and stands for Moog Unit. It refers to the width of Moog and Moogish modules.

The MOTM standard is a Synthesis Technology creation. The Modcan B series modules also have MOTM panel widths and mouting hole placements.

Moog/DotCom/MU modules are 2.125" wide per U

MOTM modules are 1.75" wide per U

If you want to put MU and MOTM modules side by side in the same case, this can easily be done if the case mounting strips are wood. If you are using machined metal mounting strips/frames, you'll most likely need to keep MU and MOTM separated in different rows or sections.

If you start digging into power supply differences of 5U modules there is a load of exceptions that can get confusing fast but for the most part, probably 90% of all 5u modules will run on +-15VDC. Read through this thread https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739

alternating.bit wrote:
Is that some "MOTM" rotary sequencer or is it the same MFOS one that I'm craving?

Yes. 8_) Looks to be a MOTM format build of the MFOS 16 step sequencer.

Please read through every "sticky" thread in the 5U section, a lot of your questions will be answered! thumbs up
sonicwarrior
alternating.bit wrote:
Is there a standard 19" rackmount bracket that the MOTM series can fit in? (like 5U or 6U in a rack).

Let's see if I am able to post this while the performance is down again:

The Rack Mounting Rails here:
http://www.bridechamber.com/Cab_Mounting.html

They are similar to those used by Dotcom.
alternating.bit
Thank you JohnLRice SO much for spelling that all out to me
(had to read it twice... and will probably come back to it).

I apologize for not reading through all stickys first...

Sounds like I'd be ok then having two different rows, I can live with that for sure.

I have an offer from someone to assemble/test the 16-step sequencer and he's asking $500 for labor alone... does this sound normal? Seems a bit high to me, although I know this is a niche business. I thought it would be closer to $300 (none of this is including the actual $350 kit + shipping).

I'll never mention names and my intent is not for bidding or slandering but at the same time I don't want to be taken advantage of.
JohnLRice
d'oh! double post Bite!
JohnLRice
Eurorack, Modcan B (MOTM) and MU . . .all in the same rack at the same time! thumbs up Anything is possible . . “We decide which is right and which is an illusion"

synthcube
You might also consider elmegil or Boothnavy for your build request... Both high quality in addition to the others mentioned!

Dave brown is an engineering wizard... Check out the documentation on his website: http://www.modularsynthesis.com/
David Ingebretsen is another...

We also stock the MOTM mounting rail

http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name= Rail&product_id=194
fluxmonkey
alternating.bit wrote:
.... I'm just really lured by the eye candy of these massive walls of plugs and dials and from all of the online vids look like it will be an awesome adventure.

not to be discouraging, but i think this is a bad reason to get into modular synths.
alternating.bit
synthcube wrote:
You might also consider elmegil or Boothnavy for your build request... Both high quality in addition to the others mentioned!

These are forum members I take it? No web address?

(sent you an email btw)

fluxmonkey wrote:
alternating.bit wrote:
.... I'm just really lured by the eye candy of these massive walls of plugs and dials and from all of the online vids look like it will be an awesome adventure.

not to be discouraging, but i think this is a bad reason to get into modular synths.

killjoy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3