MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommended Euro Power Supply for R series
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Recommended Euro Power Supply for R series
handsfelloff
I have been using the Tiptop studio bus for that manages to power modules such-as the r-51 or r-54 with lower current hunger. However the R56 is too much MY ASS IS BLEEDING for the -12 switching converter as it goes axe happy on a trout farm. Trips out until up to temp. This occurs with a single r56 attached to the bus. So its clear I need to have a separate supply for the metasonix modules. I intend to run x2 R56 an R51 & R54. requiring a peak of ~2A settling cat to ~ 1A
I have a the DIY 2 with the 2.5A brick & board that's an option, I wanted to ask for further recommendations. Ideally I like some overhead for expansion.

Cheers,

Wilson
decaying.sine
+/- 12VDC http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-One-HDD15-5-A-Power-Supply-15VDC-12VDC-/ 190975968232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c770e03e8

+5VDC http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-POWER-ONE-POWER-SUPPLY-5-VDC-9-AMPS-HN5-9- OVP-A-/360785442260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54007cf5d4

*edit here is a $7 HN5-9 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-One-HN5-9-OVP-A-Output-5-VDC-9-0-Amps-Ne ver-Used-/321239282723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acb5a7423

Search ebay with these model numbers to find better deals. These will get you started.
metasonix
Please, don't cheap out on supplies, especially for R56s. I would recommend a Doepfer A-100PSU2 or a Power One/International Power 3-amp linear supply, or a set of big fat Mean Well switching supplies. The Doepfer will run five R modules with no problems, if there is adequate cooling allowed. The cabinet should be vented in any case.

You're spending thousands on modules, trying to save $50-$100 on power will end up making you miserable.
Smokey
handsfelloff wrote:
Trips out until up to temp.

I've noticed this with my R-56 in a Cell48 case. I was told by Pittsburg that the Cell48 "meets the R-56 power requirements" but the latest Metasonix Important Notices thread, said it is not recommended.

I've just been muting everything for 3-5 seconds until things stop "tripping out", which is just a short scream of feedback and the springs rattling. After warm up, the R-56 works fine. Until I get a better case and power supply, am I risking damaging the R-56 by using the Cell48?
zerosum
Frankenstein needs voltage. Don't starve the monster.

Known linear supplies guaranteed to work:
(used with R-51, R-52, R-53, R-54, R-56)
HBB15
HCC15

R55 or anything else that needs +5 in addition to +-12:
IHDCC-150W
metasonix
Note:

I have (finally) posted some essential instructions on powering Metasonix modules.

It is in our "Important Notices" section on this forum, and repeated in our Support section.

Once again: if you're a novice, be smart and spend a few hundred dollars on an assembled cabinet with built-in power supply, from a reputable builder. There are ways to save money by DIYing but it involves considerable experience, and working with AC mains power, which is dangerous.
metasonix
Smokey wrote:
I've just been muting everything for 3-5 seconds until things stop "tripping out", which is just a short scream of feedback and the springs rattling. After warm up, the R-56 works fine. Until I get a better case and power supply, am I risking damaging the R-56 by using the Cell48?

No, you won't damage the R56. You're risking damaging the Cell 48.
handsfelloff
Many thanks for the power info. I found myself that the Make Noize powered bus with the Tiptop 4.5A brick performed very favourably so far for my requirements x4 R modules (x2 R56 + R52+ R54) I measured 2A draw on the DC supply. ~200ma ripple. Thats already asking quite a lot of the board and I should not push it any further, but it holds up (R56 is quite thirsty from cold @ 800-850ma) The power up is delayed which may help with the transient peak. For a compact bus board it could work out well for small/mid systems...

Wilson
Lakbra
Wait, so you're powering 4 R modules with a 1.4A max bus board?
I know you have the TT 4.5A brick but the busboard can only take up to 1.4A like the powered TT studio bus ones, right?
Good to hear you didn't have any problems, but, aren't you afraid to stress your bussboard requiring it 2A after warm up when it's designed to output 1.4A?
Is there something I am missing here?
I'm planning on doing the same but with a TT studio bus board and just one R56 and an R54 and other assorted modules, so I'm happy to see you did so much with your Make Noise busboard and want to make sure I'm not missing something from what you've done.

This "tripping out" you guys mention produces some very interesting sounds, don't miss out on them and listen in! The powering down sound can be very interesting too.
handsfelloff
~1.4A +12 ~1A -12 on paper. Biased a little in favor of +12 (due to asymmetric current demands of many digital modules) Tiptop -12 limit is 800ma and this I have found is a hard threshold (and it 'trips' in excess, gur tells me this is the switching supply limit rather than a current trip ptc).

Matthew from Make Noize says my requirements ~2A are similar to their QC test bed. The bus board scales over the given spec and can be hit quite hard in excess of 2.5A however the output voltage drops and ripple occurs, probably not recommended long term.

Also, the board has a delayed startup which helps cope the initial cold transient peak typical with tube modules.

Anyway having discussed with MN I ordered one and thought since I already had DC into the cab (TT brick) it was worth a shot, alternatively I'd fit a Doepfer PSU-2.

The MN PB appear to holds my 4 R modules quite comfortably, so for me this seems a viable power solution. The Tiptop Zeus Studio bus is an excellent powered bus, however it is not really suited to metasonix R-series (especially cool starters like the r56). It will juuuusst about run a single R56 module (no other modules possible) Its not designed for this peak current demand. I have 4 excellent tiptop Studio buses in my cab, but swapped one of them with a makenoize for my tube modules.... Im sure that spare bus will come in handy soon smile Good luck. Hope this helps.
Lakbra
Thanks for the info
otoskope
Just bumping this old thread to confirm that I can run 2 x R55 + RK1 + RK2 + R51 from one Doepfer PSU3. This new Doepfer PSU has plenty of 5V, and it has been discussed that it could be a good power source for the R55:s. So, hereby confirmed!
metasonix
otoskope wrote:
Just bumping this old thread to confirm that I can run 2 x R55 + RK1 + RK2 + R51 from one Doepfer PSU3. This new Doepfer PSU has plenty of 5V, and it has been discussed that it could be a good power source for the R55:s. So, hereby confirmed!

Thank you muchly.
Yes Powder
I'm have a 52, 53, 54, 55, and 57 a running off a PSU3 in a packed-full P9 case. It takes a few seconds to start up as I'm no doubt exceeding max current draw for a few seconds, but after that it runs fine.
Digital modules definitely don't like the startup voltage fluctuations, but I only have three anyways so I just keep them in a different case/power supply.
snakejaw
I use an RKP. Works beautifully. It runs three Metasonix modules, and counting. Also, I've connected two TipTop Flying Bus cables to it and runs a bunch of other modules without breaking a sweat.
HypatiasAngst
snakejaw wrote:
I use an RKP. Works beautifully. It runs three Metasonix modules, and counting. Also, I've connected two TipTop Flying Bus cables to it and runs a bunch of other modules without breaking a sweat.

Awesome this is basically what setup I'm looking to do in a MOOG case. Thank you!
freq
I just acquired the RK1 and I'm on the lookout for an R51 among others. I was a bit weary of a uZeus powering them, after reading this thread and the Important Notices I am now clued up on the fact that I'd end up setting myself on fire doing that. Time to curb the enthusiasm and invest in a decent PSU.

I read that the Doepfer PSU2/3 would be surface but then found the Metasonix RKP, so that's the direction I shall be taking.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1