MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ARP Axxe Repair Thread (was Cleaning Vintage (Arp) Sliders)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author ARP Axxe Repair Thread (was Cleaning Vintage (Arp) Sliders)
onewheeltom
Disassembled and gave the Arp a bath : first Simple Green, the rinse with warm water. Was not that dirty but cleaned up even better. Tested the power supply, everything good so far.

I started to take the keys off, but wasn't sure how to do this without damaging the springs. The action seems pretty acceptable to me so I will probably leave it alone for now. I noticed that the plastic key covers were held on with screws, so I may take them off to clean.

Ordered the fader lube, should have it next week.

--tom
Silflay Hraka
Pretty good tutorial here, starts dissecting the keyboard at around 4:00 minutes, just substitute Axxe for Prophet 5 (both use Pratt-Read keyboards)

good luck and have fun with the restoration.
emdot_ambient
If the sliders are actually completely stuck, I'd seriously consider rebuilding them rather than just bathing/lubing.

I did the bathe/lube on one (see earlier in thread) and the sliders still don't work like they should. And mine were merely stiff prior to cleaning.

The Real MC
Had a bad 100K lin slidepot in my ProSoloist. The rubbing alcohol did a good job cleaning it, but the carbon on the resistive strip has worn off. It no longer measure 100K, it is an open circuit. The pot is shot.

I tore out the other slidepots and replaced them with rotary pots. That was a bit of a challenge because the pads and traces were lifting. I don't want to dig in there every time one goes bad and I'm tired of hosed slidepots, if one has failed then the rest are not far behind.

Never buying an ARP or any gear with slidepots again. They are a PITA.
el-bee
Back in 2007 I did a full slider clean up & other restoration works for Arp Odyssey. Wrote about the process on my DIY blog, the slider post is accessible through the Odyssey project page.

As I'm currently doing a TTSH build, I'm thinking of comparing how its sliders might fit work mechanically for the Odyssey (= Lumina mod). Dunno, perhaps getting some batch of adapter PCBs could work for that smile
Don T
el-bee wrote:
Back in 2007 I did a full slider clean up & other restoration works for Arp Odyssey. Wrote about the process on my DIY blog, the slider post is accessible through the Odyssey project page.

As I'm currently doing a TTSH build, I'm thinking of comparing how its sliders might fit work mechanically for the Odyssey (= Lumina mod). Dunno, perhaps getting some batch of adapter PCBs could work for that smile

I've got a set of adapter boards drawn up already cool

I'm in the middle of (read: stopped to work on a bazillion other things also) installing a set in my Axxe.
Stewart Pye
Don,

I was thinking about doing the same thing for my Axxe, and putting a little 5V switchmode supply in it to power the LED's.

Please let us know how it all line up when you get it finished...

Regards,
Stewart.
el-bee
Don T wrote:

Cool, figured someone might be on it already! smile Any plans to make a board kit available for order?
Don T
Stewart Pye wrote:
Don,

I was thinking about doing the same thing for my Axxe, and putting a little 5V switchmode supply in it to power the LED's.

Please let us know how it all line up when you get it finished...

Regards,
Stewart.

el-bee wrote:
Don T wrote:

Cool, figured someone might be on it already! smile Any plans to make a board kit available for order?

Not sure how long it will take, getting things lined up with the slots in the control panels is tedious. The ARP OMNI filterboard in the pic is never going to be anything other than a module tester, and never will be mounted behind a panel, so of course it was easy.

I'm also working on doing these for another synth at the moment, so going back to the AXXE may not happen this month.

Not sure anyone would be interested in individual adapters?

I've also got these drawn up to replace the sliders in the real ARP 2600, or any other thing that uses those sliders.
el-bee
Don T wrote:
el-bee wrote:
Don T wrote:

Not sure anyone would be interested in individual adapters?

One option might be to add the board to OSHPark, then everyone interested could just order their preferred amount of boards.

I have no experience on how much of a hassle it is to add a board to OSH, but judging by how much people use it here at Muff I'd guess it's a breeze smile
MrRoper
Hi guys! Didn't know whether to start a new thread so I just thought I'd tag my questions on the end of this one.

Anyway, I'm just starting up on an ARP axxe restoration. Full re-cap, fader rebuild and keyboard rebuild. One of the faders (ADSR VCA level) has a broken shaft, does anyone in the UK/EU have a source for either a replacement shaft or a replacement pot? I believe it's a 1MA.

I'm also looking for fader caps if anyone has a source? I was thinking to ask Korg for a sample from their mk3 odyssey. Has anyone tried them to any degree of success on the original faders?

Thanks a lot in advance chaps!! thumbs up

Dan

modularrydavid
Really late reply, but I took a CTS slider into a shop with a new MK. III Karp Ody and no, the fader caps don't fit. I don't know if they could be hollowed out further to fit the shafts, OR if somehow the Ody FS will have different caps. Kinda doubt it, I have a feeling the CTS pot shafts are always gonna be slightly different than any of the new pots shafts.

MrRoper wrote:
Hi guys! Didn't know whether to start a new thread so I just thought I'd tag my questions on the end of this one.

Anyway, I'm just starting up on an ARP axxe restoration. Full re-cap, fader rebuild and keyboard rebuild. One of the faders (ADSR VCA level) has a broken shaft, does anyone in the UK/EU have a source for either a replacement shaft or a replacement pot? I believe it's a 1MA.

I'm also looking for fader caps if anyone has a source? I was thinking to ask Korg for a sample from their mk3 odyssey. Has anyone tried them to any degree of success on the original faders?

Thanks a lot in advance chaps!! thumbs up

Dan

MrRoper
Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to abandon the idea of getting the mark 3 caps because

I'm going to go with those mountain switch caps like the mark 1 has, but get them all in red as it goes quite nice with the black/ orange panel. It's nearly there now just trying to find a source for pratt reed bushings in the uk.

windspirit
Hey folks, fixing up an Axxe mk2 for a client, already getting a lot of value out of this thread!

So I am pretty much in the home stretch for getting this thing 99% working again but I have been foiled by a very frustrating nemesis: no one sells the key return springs for the black keys on mk2s any more! I looked everywhere and I just can't find them. I know that different springs yield different tensions and that can change the feel of the instrument so I would prefer to get the correct springs if possible.

From some searching around it seems that the Sequential Pro One used the same keyboard as the axxe mk2, unfortunately the mk1 used a different keyboard (although from the same manucturer - pratt read, so maybe the same springs) but I also can not find these springs for the Pro One. Does anyone know of another keyboard that used the same springs or at least ones with similar enough tension? Maybe it would work to just get white key springs and stretch them out a bit?

Thank you for your help!
limpmeat
Don T wrote:
el-bee wrote:

I'm in the middle of (read: stopped to work on a bazillion other things also) installing a set in my Axxe.

This is exciting, I have MK2 Odyssey that I'd love to do this retrofit to.
dougt
windspirit wrote:
Hey folks, fixing up an Axxe mk2 for a client, already getting a lot of value out of this thread!

So I am pretty much in the home stretch for getting this thing 99% working again but I have been foiled by a very frustrating nemesis: no one sells the key return springs for the black keys on mk2s any more! I looked everywhere and I just can't find them. I know that different springs yield different tensions and that can change the feel of the instrument so I would prefer to get the correct springs if possible.

From some searching around it seems that the Sequential Pro One used the same keyboard as the axxe mk2, unfortunately the mk1 used a different keyboard (although from the same manucturer - pratt read, so maybe the same springs) but I also can not find these springs for the Pro One. Does anyone know of another keyboard that used the same springs or at least ones with similar enough tension? Maybe it would work to just get white key springs and stretch them out a bit?

Thank you for your help!

How many black key springs do you need? I think I still have some.

By the way I have original CTS slider shafts too.
emdot_ambient
MrRoper wrote:
...now just trying to find a source for pratt reed bushings in the uk.

I got mine from ebay but they didn't have any release agent (aka lubricant) on them. And you really should use the correct release agent (Dow Corning 7 Release Agent is recommended and it's expensive) or they won't work well.

As I offered earlier in this thread, if you get dry bushing (I have seen bushings in the past advertised with the lube already on them) and need some release agent, let me know and I'll put a squeeze of it in a plastic bag and send it to you. Put the bushings in the bag and mush them around, works a treat. As long as shipping's less then a couple USD, I'll even pay shipping 'cause I bought a huge tube of the stuff back when I did my Axxe and still have 99% of it left.
MrRoper
Thanks for the info mate! I actually have a HUUUGE tube of DC 7 that I've been using on Pratt Reeds for the last year or so now. It's just getting the bushings this time (my UK source is showing as sold out atm), I can get some sent from Holland (www.ep-service.nl fwiw) but shipping is sometimes quite steep.

If anyone in the UK/EU needs some of the Dow Corning lube I can send some to you as emdot offered.
windspirit
Hi folks, Im in the home stretch here.

I recalibrated the oscillator 1v/o behavior relative to the keyboard but after testing noticed that a) the octave switch no longer changes the pitch by an octave and b) incoming cv is no longer 1v/o. Is there a separate calibration trimmer for the keyboard rather than CV? Thank you!
Don T
windspirit wrote:
Hi folks, Im in the home stretch here.

I recalibrated the oscillator 1v/o behavior relative to the keyboard but after testing noticed that a) the octave switch no longer changes the pitch by an octave and b) incoming cv is no longer 1v/o. Is there a separate calibration trimmer for the keyboard rather than CV? Thank you!

Oh yes, there are quite a few to check:

R62 - Transpose Calibrate
R198 - CV Offset
R76 - VCO Freq
R74 - VCO V/Oct (Which you have found already)

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check R70 - Pitch Bend Calibrate. If you have a MkII Axxe (Orange graphics and PPC, it doesn't have this trimmer)
windspirit
I have the mk2, so I have actually gone through all of those trimmers in hopes that it would fix my problem. I found the transpose calibrate and got the tuning to go down an octave accurately but not up an octave confused. Still no v/o calibration either. At least the trimmer is accessible from the front panel but I am halfway considering adding a new trimmer just for the keyboard.
Don T
windspirit wrote:
I have the mk2, so I have actually gone through all of those trimmers in hopes that it would fix my problem. I found the transpose calibrate and got the tuning to go down an octave accurately but not up an octave confused. Still no v/o calibration either. At least the trimmer is accessible from the front panel but I am halfway considering adding a new trimmer just for the keyboard.

Just curious, did you calibrate the trimmers in the order described in the service manual, and with the front panel controls set as it suggested?
windspirit
I did the first time but Im at home right now trying to get the calibration right and I don't have my tuner handy.
MrRoper
Finally finished and trimmed my Axxe. It's sounding great and feeling better now the faders actually move and they keys are straight!!

Thanks for all the great info on this thread!

[/img]
Polymooger
Hi folks. I've just given my Odyssey sliders the KL shower treatment and whilst they're freed up a lot they're still crackly, especially filter cutoff. I'd previously and naively used Deoxit on them which per the stories proved to be only a passing fix, and boy did that stuff turn to glue after a few years. Horrible.

Anyway I'm thinking maybe I might replace the sliders. Are the only suppliers still Synthpatchers and Synthchaser in Canada/USA? Anywhere in Europe do them?

What's the consensus on Synthpatcher's version? I've read they aren't brilliant (and are thus faithful to the originals!).

Oh I know about the CMS Lumina kits but they're mental money to me.

Cheers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 6 of 7