MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

vcnoiz clock in problem
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Author vcnoiz clock in problem
GNE
I didnt know there was a sub forum for Hexinverter.

I originally posted in euro

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98814

Depending on what type of CV I use, the clock in will make the vcnoiz go dead [ even with all cables removed ] and requires a power shutdown / restart to work again.

I only got 2 responses in Euro forum.
1 user was getting the same results, another not.

Anyone else?

I bought this used from the forum, not the kit. Is this a difficult fix. [ or is this normal behavior ]
hexinverter
Sorry to hear it's giving you troubles! I've not experienced this with my vcNOIZes but then again I tend to clock it at fairly fast speeds with square signals. What shape and frequency of clock signals are you experiencing this with?

The clock input does not have hysteresis on the input comparator so this means that it is expecting fast-ish (ie: sequencer rates at slowest) SQUARE WAVE signals. If you use a sloped/ramping/triangle/whatever at a slow frequency it may cause the clock input to begin oscillating as the input signal slowly ramps up, and lock up.

If I ever revise the design I will change it to play happier with odd shaped clock signals, but the design was made with square wave signals in mind so it's something I didn't think of adding at the time! waah sad banana I will most certainly change it if I do another run of them in the future! Thanks for bringing this up!!!
GNE
Hi

I guess I should have read the manual more carefully.
It does work perfectly with a SQUARE WAVE.
I didn't understand that it was not designed to accept other CV types.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question even though I bought it used. [ I did buy a new Jupitor Storm ]

Both VCnoiz and Jupitor Storm are excellent modules.
hexinverter
GNE wrote:
Hi

I guess I should have read the manual more carefully.
It does work perfectly with a SQUARE WAVE.
I didn't understand that it was not designed to accept other CV types.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question even though I bought it used. [ I did buy a new Jupitor Storm ]

Both VCnoiz and Jupitor Storm are excellent modules.

Hey again!

Well, in truth I should have thought that people would likely want to use more unconventional shaped signals for clocking it (it is modular land after all!) but it totally slipped my mind. So thank you for bringing it up. thumbs up Now I will implement it in the future should I update the design! This is fun!

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the modules nonetheless! applause
peripatitis
I am going to buy a vcnoiz soon, it looks like a great module,
congrats thumbs up

So i was wondering,
is this only an issue of waveshape or is it also about the speed of the clock ?
Would a square lfo for example cause the module to behave weird ?

Any idea when a revised version will be ready ?

and merry christmas btw smile
hexinverter
peripatitis wrote:
I am going to buy a vcnoiz soon, it looks like a great module,
congrats thumbs up

So i was wondering,
is this only an issue of waveshape or is it also about the speed of the clock ?
Would a square lfo for example cause the module to behave weird ?

Any idea when a revised version will be ready ?

and merry christmas btw smile

Hiya! smile

Hopefully this doesn't further confuse the issue at hand: but, it's neither, but kind of both! It's actually an issue with the rate at which the voltage excursion from LOW to HIGH happens. So, square waves are fine because they jump very quickly from LOW to HIGH on the rising edge.

FAST triangles/other weird shapes should be just fine. But slow shapes that are not square will result in a slowly rising edge, and then it might cause it to behave funny.

A square LFO should be just fine in other words! Then you can get random gates out of the module.

I have no idea when/if a revision will be right now. Sorry! sad banana

And, Happy Holidays to you too! smile Here's my greeting card:

peripatitis
Cool now i got it thumbs up

haha, great greetings card !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Page 1 of 1