MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Happy Nerding FM AID module now in MU format
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Happy Nerding FM AID module now in MU format
JohnLRice
I finally managed to get it a rack and powered up tonight! hyper

No time to do any real demo yet but I played for a while and was liking where the patch was going so I recorded a but and hastely edited it (still need to do dishes and take out garbage before I go to bed! Dead Banana )
[s]http://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/fm-aid-wiggle[/s]

It's been available in eurorack for a while so you can check out the threads on Muff's and videos etc for the euro version too.
http://www.happynerding.com/category/fm-aid/

MU pictures and videos coming . . . .soonish . . . .
Christopher Winkels
Damn it, John.

Why couldn't you stay "self-banned"? Now I want one of these bloody things. lol
JohnLRice
Christopher Winkels wrote:
Damn it, John.

Why couldn't you stay "self-banned"? Now I want one of these bloody things. lol

Sorry! oops I figured I could 'hurt' the ones I love more by staying instead of leaving! twisted
Stereotactixxx
I was super excited when I found out about this module in euro and heard the demos of it.
I figured it was only a matter of time before it would appear in MU.
Thanks for posting this first teaser John. Looking forward to hearing more.
Dave Peck
Another well-executed brilliant idea from Happy Nerding. I haven't had much 5U gear lust for a while but this one is a no-brainer. Gotta get one. Thanks for posting this!
Ockeghem
woah smile woah
MindMachine
Hey John have you tried this with the Super Sawtor module? There is a thread in Euro from London Modular pairing the two and it is mental (good mental). Between your demos and LM's - I am fired up. Thanks for the demo.
wsy
I keep hitting the Analog Haven web site for the MU-sized FM AID and it's not shown up yet.

Please tell me I didn't miss it!

(yes, I called Analog Haven and Shawn said "no, we don't have it, when we do, please order
it through the web site.)

*sigh*. At this rate I should etch my own PCB.

- Bill
JohnLRice
wsy wrote:
I keep hitting the Analog Haven web site for the MU-sized FM AID and it's not shown up yet.

Please tell me I didn't miss it!

You didn't miss it, Bill! thumbs up It is quite new in MU format and the one I received came directly from Igor at Happy Nerding for testing purposes. w00t
igorrr
Here is the MU version picture. Basically it is the same as Euro.
Please do not consider CV input to be used only for control voltages, it is great option for CV input to be fed with audio too.
Compared to usual linear FM this module may appear more bright or nasty, because Modulator is not integrated (filtered), but you still can pass Modulator’s signal through any filter first to soften the sound. Or you can use only sine waves for all of the FM AID’s inputs to get these old school mild tones.

kindredlost
Just don't send it back to Happy Nerding due to the LED not working. hihi

This is actually a trimmer hole for setting carrier range response.

I want this but can't figure out which to get. 5U or Euro. I want it in 5U but Lawdy! I got's to quit adding cabs to my 5U. I have another one on the bench with power and a few modules but no place to put it in my small (& getting smaller) studio.

Yes, JLR. Get us a demo of this with the Super Saw. Rockin' Banana!
JohnLRice
I've got some footage recorded but I want to do more before I start editing. spinning nodnod
wsy
I went for buying an FM Aid even though there's the prototype FM OGRE sitting on my
bench.

Why? Because they're different devices.

An easy way to think of an FM Aid is to think of it not as a wave FOLDER but rather
as a hardware "fraction part" device. I don't want to spill too many beans, but Igorr
came up with a nice circuit that is essentially the "modulo" function in hardware.

And, by exploiting the property that mod(SAW(A)+SAW(B)) is identical to
SAW (A + SAW (B)) he gets true purely analog phase modulation.

Meanwhile, the FM OGRE is (like the Yamaha synths) purely a creature of digital
mathematics. The core is entirely digital, and entirely based on sines, not saws.

They're very different animals.

- Bill
JohnLRice
Stereotactixxx
Most excellent! applause
The part with the scanner reminded me of this old but glorious trance track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GryKi11k0wY
Looking forward to part 2.
JohnLRice
Thank , Stereotactixxx! we're not worthy

Here are the two pictures I took to put ion the video, for people who don't want to watch the video to ee them! hihi

Yes, very thin! thumbs up The Agonizer!
JohnLRice
Not part two yet, no time! cry

But this morning I took a few minutes (probably an hour when all was said and done hihi ) to try to plug an electric guitar into the modular:
Guitar -> Grove Audio PM Resonator (just to get some gain on the signal) -> FM AID

Too bad I'm not a guitarist! Dead Banana

[s]http://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/fm-aid-guitar-wiggle[/s]
igorrr
In case someone missed this wonderful video of John.
holovicc
JLR, this idea with the guitar is brilliant.
igorrr
MU FM AIDs are restocked at Analogue Haven.
nidas
Simple yet very versitile module... thanks for the long demo JLR!
JohnLRice
nidas wrote:
Simple yet very versitile module... thanks for the long demo JLR!
You are welcome, Nidas! thumbs up
JohnLRice
For a recent video of mine I ran the output of an Alesis DM5 (drum brain) into the FM AID with one side of the stereo out into the carrier and the other side into the CV input and the FM AID output panned center. The unaffected DM5 stereo out is also in the mix panned hard left and right. The FM AID processed drums are brought into the mix at about 45 seconds in.

Here is an audio only version of just the modular sequence and the drums. The drums were sequenced by 3 rows of a Moon Modular 568 trigger sequencer into a 552 CV to MIDI module. I used 3 MOTM-800 EGs as bias sources to 'tune' in which frum sounds I wanted on the DM5 asnd then used some randomish LFO action from a MOTM-380 into the 552 Transpose input to shift around which drum/percussion sounds got played.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/sky_pie_lots_ala_mode_drums[/s]

Here's the vid (doesn't show the modular) with a few iPad Mellotron tracks on it for fun:
kindredlost
Hmm... here it is four days later and I'm just now hearing this. Very clever use of the drum triggers JLR! I also am partial to the Tron pad sounds. This is too short. Now we need an epic version.
This is fun!
wyrtti
I so want this for bass guitar use... Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4