MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

what oscillator to compliment a hertz donut?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author what oscillator to compliment a hertz donut?
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
In the middle of a complete modular makeover. I can't decide which oscillator(s) to get!

I'm definitely getting a hertz donut, but I'm thinking it could use a friend Mr. Green

I'm thinking of either an AFG or VCO-6, anti-oscilator, tip top or mfb osc2... but I can't decide, so many plus's and minus's

AFG:
plus:
animated waveforms
gobs in in and outs
a cubic bergillion of possible waveforms

cons
not a good "workhorse"
raw wave forms are boring
too gigantic
costly

anti-oscillator:
pros
new oscillator
sounds awesome and different

cons
not a good workhorse oscillator confused
lack of knobbage and ins

VCO-6
pros
awesome construction
sounds great

cons
too clinical sounding
costly

tip top
pros
excellent "workhorse" oscillator
sounds awesome

cons
heard no negatives.
...... ok I think its ugly, stupid reason not to get it though.

mfb osc2
pros
3 oscillators in one!

cons
no sine out!?

What would you guys choose and why?

*edit*

forgot to mention I have a metasonix TM3. applause
ST UF FLI N EAR
seems like the tiptop is your choice.
comeon, get over the looks.

i would choose that one or the anti.
but maybe wait for the new harvest?

in the meanwhile i chose my first osc to be the ulfo. SlayerBadger!
worker8
Cause you already have fm, I would reduce to the Anti or the MFB.
jenamu6
Anti osc
consumed
dont discount a workhorse!
m15?
had an m15, sold it to rewire iirc.

miss it actually, but I would like something "new" hyper
berfmurret
how is afg not a workhorse? all that cv and multiple waveforms!! i guess we all have our definition of workhorse..

i say either the afg or tiptop.
NV
If you have the money and the space I'd say the AFG would be an amazing choice. Coupling that with the Hertz Donut would allow an enormous amount of modulation capability and evolving timbres. The sheer amount of I/O alone puts the AFG into an entirely separate class from most other oscillators in my opinion - two lin/expo FM inputs and attenuators, two 1v/oct inputs, matter/antimatter switch, sub outs with square and saw, and CV controlled harmonic animation.

The AFG is definitely a big module, but considering the features it's actually one of the few LiveWire modules that I can't imagine being that much smaller.
authorless
i feel the AFG is a workhorse for me. it can go into an lfo range and i like its FM. i also have the hertz donut, i use the hell out of it. i do have intentions of getting a tiptop Z3000 (maybe two?) though because it seems like it will be a tad more vanilla.
computer controlled
It'd be tough choice if i had to chose between the Z3000 and OSC-02. I have the Z3000 and the OSC-01. I really like the sound of them both. No Sine out on the MFB isn't a big deal. As i never really use the Sine on the Z3000. Though it does sound nice when FM'd. The MFB has a nice Roland sound to it, which is why i'm so partial to it. They both have nice PWM.
fluxmonkey
i don't have the whole collection to compare, but i've been thrilled w/ the HD/AFG combo... particularly as complementary pair ie very different sounds that also play well together.
doesnt the AFG NOT sync properly... or sync at all? confused

also read that its FM capabilities are not the best. hmmm.....
worker8
I love the sync options on the OSC-02 : no need for saw animator or animated pulse width : just sync one or two osc to the third and you got it.

16HP, 3VCO with sync and a ring modulator, fair price : great deal.
jonkull
I really like FM on the AFG. Sync is a little 'softer' than you would expect (not that I can explain that) but that works as well. It's definitely a workhorse and I wouldn't call it's waveforms 'boring'. I've got 2 Donuts and 2 AFGs and they all play well together.

Not that polls mean anything but look at the results on this one...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8917
tIB
Nice to see the mfb osc02 getting plenty of shouts, Ive just grabbed one to match with my incoming HD.

Id' planned to get an AFG to play with the donut first but the osc2 came up cheap... Ill pick one up eventually unless something better comes along.
dkcg
What about simply a 2nd Donut?
blungo2
dkcg wrote:

I think that would be my choice as well, or an AFG or a cloud generator or morphing terrarium or piston honda...
dkcg
blungo2 wrote:
dkcg wrote:

I think that would be my choice as well, or an AFG or a cloud generator or morphing terrarium or piston honda...

Piston Honda would be cool.... I love sending my modulators through the geiger counter or miniwave before FMing the HD or ZO. I like most my oscillators in pairs tho...I would go for 2HDs for a smaller system.
wetterberg
I think the Cloud Generator and the Hertz Donut together would be a really cool and unique combo.
REwire
I never would have thought you'd sell of your M15 to me then look for a compliment to a Hertz when that's my #1 choice pairing. IMO, if you have a modular synth, why go for all digital oscs like a Hertz, Cloud, Terrarium, Piston... when the best of both worlds can be accomplished with the coolest digital and fattest analog mixed together.

If you won't get another M15, which I will probably sell one of the two I have now to make room for the Bubble or Polivoks Osc in the future, I'd go for an ASys RS-95e or the Z3000.

Dan
tony d
Just got an hd a little over a week ago and i have to say the hd paired w/ the afg is the shit.
I think i remember reading that the hd will be compatible w/ livewire x-mod(think thats the name ?) when that gets developed and now i understand why that is an important feature for people to know about.
The only downside is i find myself using the afg in lfo range alot more because i can't replicate the waveforms it produces in anti-matter mode and the way those waveforms modulate the hd is what i have really been digging.
Just so you know the only other osc. i have is an m-15 and unfortunately he's been playing by himself lately.
Yohda
Quote:
also read that its FM capabilities are not the best.

Yes, for me the AFG is my worst VCO for FM : with high frequency it become "harsh" aggressive, even painfull to listen!

My favorite FM VCO : antiosc, Model 15 and obviously the ZO.
maise
i like the cwejman, it is real smooth, not too clinical.
the linear fm is great!
the width modulated sawtooth sounds real good.
Mr White
tiptop is a very good workhorse, as you already pointed out!
great value for the money and fantastic sound, FM is sweet and pleasing but it can be sharp as a dagger!
...AFG is also a fantastic workhorse (that's for me, I use it all time...is fat as FUCK!) FM is kind of "robotic" sounding and animated waveform are awesome used in ring mod or waveshapers, an endless source of shapes! I have 2 of them so maybe I'm a bit on its part!
one thing is certain, end with one of them and you'll be happy for sure!
Yohda
Quote:
animated waveform are awesome used in ring mod or waveshapers, an endless source of shapes! I have 2 of them so maybe I'm a bit on its part!

Yes, I agree !

Hre is a sound I have made with the AFG ring moded with the ZO (these 2 make a great pair for me!)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2