MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

distortion boxes for synthesizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author distortion boxes for synthesizers
lilstressor
Hi. New to this forum here. I'm experiments with different distortion boxes and was wondering what the pros use. Right now, I have a Bass Big Muff going through an A-138d insert module and its producing some nice harmonic overtones. Sustain is at 12 o'clock and tone is at 4. Pretty cheap pedal, but does a nice job at giving the Z3000 oscillators a bit more weight. (or balls I guess)
tuj
Check out the Boss MT-2 MetalZone pedal. It has 3-band parametric EQ so it works pretty well for thickening/distorting leads.

Then there is a WMD GC, my fav distortion.
twincities
if we're just sticking to pedal stuff, i love my 4ms noise swash and atoner. both have a ton of options and can get some crazy levels of broken sounds, sputtering, and signal loss with some nice fuzzy tones as well.

outside of the pedal realm (and a bit more money) i can comfortably say the thermionic culture culture vulture is my favorite/one of the nicest tube distortion boxes i've ever used.
speedsol
not (only) distortion, but worth looking at is the alesis bitrman screaming goo yo
Zon
In combination with synths i often hear the MXR distortion+ as a good and simple distortion.

I personally use a RAT Turbo for heavy distortion and a Sansamp Paradriver for a more warm, tube amp distortion.
Just me
My favorite distortions are overdriven MoogerFooger delay or ring modulator. Thick and awesome.
mmelnick
I use digitech grunge and boss fuzz
paperCUT
speedsol wrote:
not (only) distortion, but worth looking at is the alesis bitrman screaming goo yo

Bitrman is an amazing pedal, worth the prices they go for. Just the compression and distortion alone are fantastic for messing stuff up in full stereo.
ben_hex
Mxr jimi Hendrix system fuzz ... Seems a rare/unknown one ... Is super thick and smooth.
burnn_out!
DBA Soundwave breakdown
Moog Ringmod
Moog Freqbox
Malekko b:assmaster
EHX "Russian" big muff

All those pretty stay wired in my set up. I'll have to look at the metalzone again. I had one a long time ago and liked it.
thorncore
i use Kennys Death pedal at the moment..
awesome on drums and can really mash synths nicely
scozbor
endless 'tones' from the geiger counter
drox
the EHX hot tubes does the job nicely as well.
causticlogic
tuj wrote:
Check out the Boss MT-2 MetalZone pedal. It has 3-band parametric EQ so it works pretty well for thickening/distorting leads.

Then there is a WMD GC, my fav distortion.

Yep, those are my two most used distortion pedals as well. thumbs up
SPIKE the Percussionist
A Landmine is always nice and violent or an Acoustic Trauma.

And as others have already mentioned the Bitrman...excellent death for a signal.
flo
Zon wrote:
In combination with synths i often hear the MXR distortion+ as a good and simple distortion.

Yes, I love that one as well! SlayerBadger!

Often I also just crank up the mic inputs in my RE201 or one of my old Tascam mixers...
tuj
The old Mackie CR1604 (non-VLZ) would distort when you overloaded a channel in a very nice way. You could get some Goa bass tones out of it doing that.
alien8
The Moog MiniFooger Drive may be a cool one... Don't know from experience tho...
lilstressor
Cool thread guys. The bitrman that was mentioned is a pretty ugly effects box, and there're selling them for $250 on ebay. Something that color should cost $100 or less, I would think. Even though we're talking about pedals here, Ohmicide is the craziest distortion plugin I've ever used, but it also made me want to cry after restarting my computer over and over.
mckenic
thorncore wrote:
i use Kennys Death pedal at the moment..
awesome on drums and can really mash synths nicely

Me too! Its a quirky MONSTER IMHO - great pedal! Surprisingly, Ive not tried it on guitar yet hihi

Id second Ohmicide too!
holovicc
It might be blasphemia, but the Strymon Lex - supposed to be a rotary emulation box- works brilliant. (I've seen it in a JLR demo then bought one).

JMI's vintage pedals are great too, and did someone mention the Sherman Filterbank? smile
mateo
MXR Distortion + is a classic, as is the Pro Co Rat
Bartimaeus
I remember trying a Boss SD1 with my digital piano years ago and thinking that it was pretty terrible due to the mid boost, but some other distortion pedal might work.
Any options which yield a good but relatively transparent distortion? Timmy perhaps?
dkcg
There's all the Metasonix stomp boxes if you can find one for sale. The moog pedals all get a nice drive when you crank the input (and line level friendly too), I imagine the new mini-Moog pedals might be cool for synths too.

The problem I run into is with levels, I end up using the reamp to send any synth signal through most my guitar pedals, especially fuzz and overdrive pedals. RATs seem to be a popular choice, I don't have one tho... Timmy might be good because of the EQ controls.

I have an old crappy mixer that actually sounds pretty good driven really hard. I got it free from an engineer friend who was throwing it away. Had I known the CR1604 can sound cool overdriven, I would have kept mine. But at the time it wasn't good enough nor crappy enough to keep for how big it is. lol

All that said, I usually use the Geiger Counter with my modular. The Acoustic Trauma caught my eye, as did the Moog Drive pedal.
MindMachine
Dirty Boy Buzzy Boy sounds incredible on synths but too rich for my wallet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRQixkYHXzg

I use a cheap ART Tube Preamp, EH Graphic Fuzz or DOD Grunge. RAT is next on the list for me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5