MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

distortion boxes for synthesizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author distortion boxes for synthesizers
TheBradster
ProCo Rat for that FSU. For subtleness and nuance, the Hermida ZenDrive is pretty awesome.
DIVINEAUDIO
pedals that have survived the cut -
zvex mastotron - excellent for digital sources, samples, virtual analog etc. currently my go to distortion. strangely not so great for analog sources.
boss hm3 hyper metal - better on analog mono and polysynths. tends to get a bit mushy, so i usually run eq after it.
art tube mp - crank the input and lower the output for a nice toob crunchiness.
dod fx91 bass overdrive - not especially great but useful for adding a little dirt here and there.
boss od20 dual overdrive - many, many useful settings. used this for everything until it blew up. might replace it one day.
dod fx55 supra distortion - kinda blah until i circuit bent it. afterwards i got fantastic, nearly uncontrollable, screeching distortion and glitchy noises from it until the thing blew up. not worth replacing.

pedals that got sold -
ehx bass big muff - does that one sound really well, but only that one sound.
boss ds1 distortion - blah
boss odb3 bass overdrive - thin sounding
boss df2 distortion/feedbacker - blah
boss super overdrive - blah
alesis ineko - lots of cool sounds from this box but noisy as hell on any setting. also had the tendency to cut out at weird times.
Mancy bean
don't get along with fuzz on synths, not good for bass find it just sucks the low end. Don't know maybe a personal thing but fuzz just blurs what should be a hard and heavy sound already without really bringing anything to the party.
Good tube overdrive or saturation is nice.

I like the clipping on my mixmode,
but then i like a bass kick smashed through a Dave Hall tube pedal and into an mxr blowtorch.
sonicwarrior
Mancy bean wrote:
don't get along with fuzz on synths, not good for bass find it just sucks the low end.

Have you tried mixing the original signal with the fuzzed signal?

Any distortion I know sucks a bit of the low end. The ones who don't have an internal option to dial in the original signal.
theewiper
(Chuck Collins) Harmonic Percolator. Lots of range, very usable feedback at higher levels and quite a bit of low end.
kragg
TheBradster wrote:
ProCo Rat for that FSU.

+1 !
krz
That Freque was great. Sherman Filterbank. Mackie CR1604 set at 11.
Original Sansamp. Any distortion that has a few knobs. Knobs that give it parametric equalization help. Dual distortion mix with fuzz, ring modulation, bit reduction, octave, overdrive...
somonochrome
+1 distortion+ and/or rat
Silflay Hraka
I'm really starting to love the SansAmp Bass Driver, easy to dial in anything from warm fuzzines to bumble-bees in the low to mid ranges, a little harder but still do-able for higher pitched sounds.

Sounds good on clonewheels too.
lvoemachine
so with distortion, are you guys shaping with and eq before or after? I'm going to start putting some distortion back in my life and have a serge res eq as the last part of the chain typically before verb/delay.
kragg
I'm shaping the sound using an eQ before the distortion module (usually Hipassing a bit).
Quite often, i'm using a peak eq after the distortion to shape it further, if the dist pedal doesn't feature a tone control.
MindMachine
Anyone tried the minifooger moog Drive pedal yet?

Rat looks like a good choice for the money. I saw a video of a synth through an OCD that sounded nice. Curious about the moog.

I mostly use my EH Graphic Fuxzz still patched bewteen VCO's and rest of chain w/ modular or with my Casios.
electrik noize
I like chaining several pedals in series. Got a few pedals from Zvex, Fuzz
Factory, Wooly Mammoth and Machine (this one is bizarre). Depending on
what order I patch them in, I'm almost always guaranteed gnarly results.
Can't go wrong with a Big Muff thrown in there either.
zoogoo
how is the atoner? i heard the swash is better. more grimy sounds
zoogoo
Ive tried the moogfinger, its awesome!
also the RAT has good circuit mods for it.
zoogoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPulsG8DnY
Hainbach
MindMachine wrote:
Anyone tried the minifooger moog Drive pedal yet?

Rat looks like a good choice for the money. I saw a video of a synth through an OCD that sounded nice. Curious about the moog.

I mostly use my EH Graphic Fuxzz still patched bewteen VCO's and rest of chain w/ modular or with my Casios.

I have the Drive sitting permanently behind an OP-1 - it makes that little plastic box come alive.
Whatisvalis
I want to get some colour and saturation going on my Modular, but I don't want to go the whole 500 series route / pres etc. because i feel I can get more value out of pedals for now ,and just go line in on my interface.

The Chandler Little Devil is really appealing, anyone using it on synths? Anyone used that and the miniFooger Drive?

Was also thinking about getting a MoogFooger Ring Mod.
jules
One word:

FUCIFIER ! From evoaudio.

All the types of nasty growling distortion you'll ever want.
Paradoxically also include all the not completely shinny quietness you'll ever want.

In the same box: DI with high quality transfos/ germanium preamps/ outstanding tape saturation sound-a-like / swell BP,HP,LP filter with multiple outs, enveloppe follower and LFO / induction Eq.

Microphones, modulars, fingers and soul: patch everything through it.
Whatisvalis
Sounds tasty, will have a look at that.
synthiaks
I use a cheap vintage Kimbara Fuzz......sounds great and doesn't totally destroy the character of the synth.
Tyrone_JF_enclosure
The boss ds-2 is great for a smooth lead distortion
Devi Ever OK Stutter Fuzz is great with drummachines and synths as it has crazy decay characteristics!
Kentucky
Love my Red Witch Fuzz God!
deke
Why didn't I think of this? I'm going to try my OCD overdrive and MXR carbon copy cloner on my rig when I get home.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5