MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

distortion boxes for synthesizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author distortion boxes for synthesizers
slumberjack
russian pickle fuzz plays nice with me.
Righty
Try MXR Super Badass Distortion pedal - it has EQ controls that let you really dial in what you want or don't want. I think this is important with synths and so many different types of tones.
deke
DIVINEAUDIO wrote:

boss od20 dual overdrive - many, many useful settings. used this for everything until it blew up. might replace it one day.

I actually have one of these and pretty much hate it for guitar. I think I may dust it off and try it with my modular! FYI, there are a few on reverb. Chumps are asking too much and they are not moving. I bet you could offer $75ish.
Rex Coil 7
STRYMON DECO.

Technologear?
Wow Rex. I had totally disregarded the Deco but it sounds great in that video! Thanks for posting. My favourite was the chorus effect on the Juno, with the Junos onboard chorus off (a brave move as that onboard chorus is damn good).
Rex Coil 7
Technologear? wrote:
Wow Rex. I had totally disregarded the Deco but it sounds great in that video! Thanks for posting. My favourite was the chorus effect on the Juno, with the Junos onboard chorus off (a brave move as that onboard chorus is damn good).
Yea, that video sewed it up for me too. I'd first heard it used near the end of one of either Mylar Melodies or Div Kid videos (can't recall which person or which module was being demo'd). It really got my attention. Then later I discovered that GEOSynths video of it that I posted and that was all she wrote. I bought one, and I've been enormously happy with it. That tape saturation sound it creates is so much different from anything else I've heard (or built myself!).

thumbs up thumbs up
XXXEsq
One very versatile option would be one of the more modern Line6 multi-effects boards.
I have a Helix which has models of numerous fuzz/distortion boxes (as well as lots of other stuff) and it can process multiple signal chains simultaneously. I initially bought it just as a guitar processor, but it really excells on synths too. The smaller HXStomp has most of the modeled effects, but can't handle as many simultaneous signal paths.
These things sound really good and work great with synth level audio.
Rex Coil 7
XXXEsq wrote:
One very versatile option would be one of the more modern Line6 multi-effects boards.
I have two of the Line 6 M13 units ... and I could not agree with you more! My brother also has one, as does my wife.
Figures
RAT is good.
CR1604 is good.
Foogers are good.
Ensoniq DP4 is good
Ibanez DS-10 has it's place

Tried and not enjoyed -
MXR Dist +
Big Muff
ZVEX mammoth
BOSS - Any - just to state I like a lot of BOSS especially Comp, Chorus and Wah
suboptimal
I'd love for someone to give me an Analog Heat.

The DECO is an interesting pedal. It feels like an "adult" unit, something meant for actually making good sounds and not just "going crazy." I've been tempted to get a second one because the one I have is strapped across the outputs of my mixer as a sort of amateur hour mastering device.

The T-Resonator is not really a distortion box, per se, but it sounds pretty nice on drums. Here I go again suggesting another non-pedal, though.
PrimateSynthesis
Figures wrote:

Tried and not enjoyed -
MXR Dist +
Big Muff

Those are both very popular choices though cool
Christopher Winkels
I've had good results with a couple of boxes.

DOD 250 (the 2010s reissue that was just recently discontinued) - very linear sounding distortion/overdrive tones and insanely straightforward. Also adds a bit of top end sparkle in addition to the distortion.

EHX Graphic Fuzz - not really fuzzy despite the name, but still has an appealing tone, with the very desirable addition of a six-band graphic EQ for some final sculpting of the sound.
ubiquiphilia
second the Boss Metalzone pedal. They're everywhere, cheap, somehow unsatisfying on guitar but shine on synth. A real fixer-upper. Useful useful useful. Would like them ported into a single width synth unit and scattered around the system as a lead thickener, texture imparter, parametric eq etc etc. Great for dialing in kick sounds within a mix. Got one permanently linked with the kick from an ldb1. Endless tweakage; subtle shifts.
MindMachine
Christopher Winkels wrote:

EHX Graphic Fuzz - not really fuzzy despite the name, but still has an appealing tone, with the very desirable addition of a six-band graphic EQ for some final sculpting of the sound.

Bingo. Rather large but you can dial stuff in. I even use it in my Serge as a module between VCO's and whatever.
beatcleaver
I have one of these - prescription electronics experience.

They sound great. Haven't used it in years though, must dig it out.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/prescription/experience

I remember playing an MS20 through one and it sounded *exactly* like the ending part to Aphex's Windowlicker - the fuzzy baseline towards the end of the track
Figures
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Figures wrote:

Tried and not enjoyed -
MXR Dist +
Big Muff

Yes, and why I bought both, I just didnt like either.

Too often people assume something is good as everyone else says so.

Hopefully I can aid someone else who also trys either of these undoubted classic favoured units and says to themselves, not for me.

Our ear are not all the same Guinness ftw!
kragg
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Figures wrote:

Tried and not enjoyed -
MXR Dist +
Big Muff

On thing that i learned from trying distorsion pedals with synths, is that not one single pedal sound good with any settings. A synth can make much more various sounds than a guitar.
The MXR Dist+ is nice with acid basslines, with much resonance and not too bassy... But it doesn't sound good as a deep "bass fatterner" for instance.
Imho, the Big Muff is also better as a texture maker, because it changes the original source a lot, and kills the bass and transients.
ExtrasensoryPerception
-anything by Metasonix if you want obliteration!

-RML Electron Fuzz is amazing, and their jekill/hyde stereo filter is bliss after stereo FX, to dirty up reverbs or just char them a little....really tasty!
PrimateSynthesis
Figures wrote:

Our ear are not all the same Guinness ftw!

Neither are our synths. Big difference between a DX-7 and a Minimoog.
shepan
I guess these pedals are so cheap and available that it's worthwhile to have a few of them. For example I love the RAT 2 which is pretty warm, but it is so limited in controls so it either sounds great or it is a disaster. It depends a lot on what you are compressing..
chlorinemist
Elektron Analog Heat seems like it is the #1 choice. Haven't tried one yet but I don't see anything else that comes close in terms of features and suitability for synths
SweetNuthin
i used to use a Dwarfcraft Devices The Great Destroyer with synths and it was great.. it can get wild easily but when you get your head around the knob position is really really good
ExtrasensoryPerception
seconded!

I completely forgot about his one.

Time to get it out of the bin and play with it again...thanks for the reminder!

SweetNuthin wrote:
i used to use a Dwarfcraft Devices The Great Destroyer with synths and it was great.. it can get wild easily but when you get your head around the knob position is really really good
WhatADay
Has anyone tried a EHX Lumberjack for this? I've got one on the way and from the guitar demos, it seems like it might pair nicely with synth, not much bass loss and plenty of clarity.
MindMachine
WhatADay wrote:
Has anyone tried a EHX Lumberjack for this? I've got one on the way and from the guitar demos, it seems like it might pair nicely with synth, not much bass loss and plenty of clarity.

Please report back. I've invested in so many of the inexpensive EH pedals in the past. There are too many more now to even try.

I use the Graphic Fuzz and Attack Equalizer a fair amount. My Mole and Screaming Bird are relegated to vocal feedback duties at this time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5