MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

just starting out, can you help ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author just starting out, can you help ?
Steevio
hi,
i'm new to the forum and to modular synthesis, however i have been making electronic music with a mostly analogue set-up for many years, and i do understand the processes.
i must say that this forum is total quality, and an amazing resource, so well done Muff.

i'm about to buy my first few modules and i have a few questions to get me going in the right direction.

i dont have a huge budget to start with and i already have kit in my studio such as a moog voyager, 2 SH101's, TR909, TB303, Prophet 08, sherman filter bank2, moogerfoogers etc. so i want to spend my money on modules which can do things that my other kit cant. i make semi-experimental techno, mostly coming from a soulful angle, so i'm not interested in making over the top sci-fi type noises and extreme mangling, but i want to create interesting textures and sounds.

rather than buying fairly mundane workhorse modules, i'm looking for more esoteric kit which can achieve a wide range of possibilities that could be incorporated into my existing studio.

can anyone suggest any 'must have' modules that fit this criteria, i've done all the research and have a broad view of whats out there, but the one thing i havent done is actually use or hear anything in the flesh.

i'm specifically interested in multi-mode filters and oscillators to start with.
(the oscillator poll was very helpful !) and anything unusual.

thanks in advance for any help, i'm very happy to be here hyper

ps i realise that this is quite an unspecific question and that there is so much to choose from, and that everyone has different tastes, i was just wondering if there were any universally admired modules for sound quality and flexibilty.
Veqtor
Get the makenoise maths, it's an excellent, esoteric, flexible, insane module, that I'm sure you will love!

Also, you might want to consider the A-106-6, it's my absolute favorite multi-mode filter!

As for oscillators, I would consider the upcoming piston honda or one of the upcoming MOTM eurorack oscillators. Since they do something completely different to what the gear you have right now can do. (wavetable and additive synthesis).

Welcome to muff's!
intuitionnyc
Harvestman modules and makenoise modules is a good place to start if you want something "different"

I think the Malgorithm, Zorlon Cannon and Hertz Donut are pretty great.

I only have the Make Noise Moddemod, but I hear their other modules are to die for.

Livewire also makes some great modules. I would consider an AFG for an oscillator. Other modules like the Vulcan and Dalek are really cool too. Check out James Cigler's demos on youtube. They are very informative and give you a good idea of what the modules are capable of.

Hope this helps. Rock on nanners Rockin' Banana!
Steevio
Veqtor wrote:
Get the makenoise maths, it's an excellent, esoteric, flexible, insane module, that I'm sure you will love!

Also, you might want to consider the A-106-6, it's my absolute favorite multi-mode filter!

As for oscillators, I would consider the upcoming piston honda or one of the upcoming MOTM eurorack oscillators. Since they do something completely different to what the gear you have right now can do. (wavetable and additive synthesis).

Welcome to muff's!


thanks man, you're on my wave, i was just reading the maths thread, sounds awesome, and i've got the A-106 -6 on my list already, will check out your osc suggestions,
ezee
Steevio
intuitionnyc wrote:
Harvestman modules and makenoise modules is a good place to start if you want something "different"

I think the Malgorithm, Zorlon Cannon and Hertz Donut are pretty great.

I only have the Make Noise Moddemod, but I hear their other modules are to die for.

Livewire also makes some great modules. I would consider an AFG for an oscillator. Other modules like the Vulcan and Dalek are really cool too. Check out James Cigler's demos on youtube. They are very informative and give you a good idea of what the modules are capable of.

Hope this helps. Rock on nanners Rockin' Banana!


thanks bro, will checkout the demos, good shout !
ezee
sandyb
all good suggestions.
don't dismiss "mundane, workhorse modules" though - you'll find you will really need some (mixers, vcas, attenuators etc) once you get more than a handful of more esoteric modules in order to utilise your modular system to it's full capabilities.

sandy
Soy Sos
sandyb wrote:
all good suggestions.
don't dismiss "mundane, workhorse modules" though - you'll find you will really need some (mixers, vcas, attenuators etc) once you get more than a handful of more esoteric modules in order to utilise your modular system to it's full capabilities.

sandy

Agreed, I've gotten some hellified results from missuse and abuse of filters, mixers, sample and hold, VCAs...etc. The modular workflow makes many things possible that can't happen as easily on a "standard" synth.
That said there are so many oddball choices out there these days!
Steevio
yeah i totally understand that you need the mundane modules as well, but because i have a limited budget i'm looking to build a starter rack with as much interesting stuff in as possible, i'm talking 6 U absolute max till the next bunch of cash comes along.
i dont want to start out with 6 U of bland modules because i'll end up reaching for my other synths instead, i suppose i'm looking for the most versatile small system that can get my creative juices flowing, and get me experimenting.
i suppose its going to take a lot more research to come up with the answer, thanks for all your help guys.
Soy Sos
OK as far as what I have, a really great "Fuck Shit Up" module is the Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer. Save money and get the barebones version. Something low cost, simple and small is the A-148 dual sample and hold. You can use it on audio too by driving the clock input with audio rate square waves. A-188-1 BBD is mad fun or hold out for the FoH Sound of Shadows digital delay. The A-189-1 is great destruction for audio and CV. That's all I got.
Steevio
thanks for the responses guys, i've been scrolling this forum for 48 hours now and its great to hear everyones views, i cant wait to get started.
i'll put up a module planner when i get somewhere with it, and hope i get some more suggestions, till then i better go and make some music.
peace
Reality Checkpoint
And if you are going to buy new please consider postmodular.co.uk as your supplier (they are a new UK company, and fyi I do not have anything to do with them, just would like to see them succeed!) but if using the 2nd hand route there are always good deals to be had on this great forum that is Muff's.

Good luck to you, and it is wonderful to see yet another fellow UK wiggler! Welcome!
Steevio
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
And if you are going to buy new please consider postmodular.co.uk as your supplier (they are a new UK company, and fyi I do not have anything to do with them, just would like to see them succeed!) but if using the 2nd hand route there are always good deals to be had on this great forum that is Muff's.

Good luck to you, and it is wonderful to see yet another fellow UK wiggler! Welcome!


nice one, i'd never heard of them, just checked them out, i thought at first they looked pricey compaired to Schneiders Buero, but i havent worked out the VAT , shipping etc, so i'll do that, i'm well up for supporting them.
dude
as stated many places, the new motm euro morphing terrarium and cloud generator seem to fit into your description. miniwave would as well though i don't know how available the plan b conversion kit version is/was. i almost guarantee you will be surprised to realize the deep variety of uses a few vca's as well as lag processors will offer you. i think those rival any 'new' or 'more interesting' modules in terms of creative/fun applications. the name of the game in modular patching is just how flexible ones imagination can be. simple just doesn't mean limited in my experience. basically, i wouldn't overlook the apparently mundane stuff before exploring their alternative uses.

end Soapbox now.

anyway, you are about to enter the most interesting flexible world of sound design. enjoy the fuck out of it! SlayerBadger!
RichyHo
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
...and it is wonderful to see yet another fellow UK wiggler! Welcome!

thumbs up +1 thumbs up
blungo2
Not sure if this is helpful, but i could easily base (and be happy with ) a small system based on the following modules:

oscillator=hertz donut

lfo= vulcan or bubblesound (although i have no experience with the bubble, it looks to be killer)

vca/mixer/filter = qmmg

envelope/lfo = maths

edit: two nice additions would be the noise ring for a lot of stuff (clock source and oscillator) and the wogglebug as a cv source, also the plague bearer as a fsu module is wonderful.
suboptimal
blungo2's list is really good. I'd add a quantizer if I were to get the Noisering. The NR into a quantizer results in an incredible variety of very useful sounds.
dude
if plague bearers are getting involved. i would get two in series as one was quite uninspiring. i just returned mine. 2 or none. since i have such limited space+no PB. more 2cents.
Veqtor
+1 on the noisering, especially since it hopefully will be usable as a klee sequencer in the future.
Steevio
thanks peeps, i feel at home already,

one question, a lot of people suggest the hertz donut, but i'm scared of it.
i kind of gravitate towards pure analogue oscillators, and ive got a good few VA's ( Nords etc. i know its different though) and analogue hybrids like the Prophet 08, and somehow they feel tense unlike my pure analogues, i just love the sound of Moog oscillators for instance.
i'm sure the Hertz donut will be increadibly flexible, but does it sound sweet ?
if i could afford it i would go for the macbeth, but its out of my league.

i think ive already decided on a Maths and a QMMG, ( ive always drooled over Buchlas )and a uLFO, as a core, i now need to think about what will compliment them.

will check out all your suggestions,
theres no turning back now.
hyper
dbuyense
Steevio wrote:
thanks peeps, i feel at home already,

one question, a lot of people suggest the hertz donut, but i'm scared of it.
i kind of gravitate towards pure analogue oscillators, and ive got a good few VA's ( Nords etc. i know its different though) and analogue hybrids like the Prophet 08, and somehow they feel tense unlike my pure analogues, i just love the sound of Moog oscillators for instance.
i'm sure the Hertz donut will be increadibly flexible, but does it sound sweet ?
if i could afford it i would go for the macbeth, but its out of my league.

i think ive already decided on a Maths and a QMMG, ( ive always drooled over Buchlas )and a uLFO, as a core, i now need to think about what will compliment them.

will check out all your suggestions,
theres no turning back now.
hyper


I think you might have the wrong idea of the hertz donut , think Buchla not Virtual Analog.
berfmurret
the hd DEFINITELY isn't trying to be any resemblance of anything analog. you will absolutely need other oscillators if you want some analog osc flava.

but what it does is pretty effin wicked. ambulance MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Steevio
dbuyense wrote:


I think you might have the wrong idea of the hertz donut , think Buchla not Virtual Analog.


no i understand its not like a VA osc, what i meant was that my experience of digital oscs and DCO's generally has always been less pleasing to my ears than pure analogue oscs, i dont have a large budget and i think i need a good analogue oscillator first, before maybe something like the donut.
i'd be interested in what it can do though, and wouldnt write it off.
do you guys have any preferences for fairly straightforward oscs, based purely on quality of sound ?
blungo2
Not to be redundant, but based purely on the quality of the sound, i'd still vote for the HD. To be honest i don't get the whole fat/nonfat, digital/analog thing.

edit: to be clear, i'm a guy who prefers vinyl as my reproduced music source, but in general, i don't think analog has anything over digital. Hmmm, that sounds insane. Feel free to ignore any and all of my musings.
dbuyense
Steevio wrote:

do you guys have any preferences for fairly straightforward oscs, based purely on quality of sound ?


Personally I like the anti-oscillator but its not exactly straightforward and not sure thats what your looking for.

you mentioned the macbeth and I think thats what you really want , I know its price is pretty steep but its best not to make any compromises if thats what you really want.Just save up till you can afford it you'll end up being happier in the end if thats what your really eyeing.

straight forward osc's that are budget friendly-
doepfer a110 , analogue solutions , analogue systems rs95 , mfb osc02
wetterberg
based purely on quality of sound? Then I'd say MacBeth dual osc... but that's only because of the "fairly straightforward oscs" - that really translates into sorta boring, to me.

I really fucking love the Plan B model15, but I really can't endorse buying one new... I wish I could.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group