MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Components To Keep On Hand
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Components To Keep On Hand
emdot_ambient
I did some digging around in my dusty old storage--stuff from back in like 1990 when I was trying alone and w/out the internet to get into DIY--to look at my unfinished projects and all.

I found a consolidated parts list for components needed to populate 10 PCB (3 VCOs, 3 VCFs, 3 VCEG, 1 Dual VCA all from PAIA's discontinued EKx series*). The parts list was pretty long with all the different values and types of resistors, caps, diodes, etc.

I was wondering...you DIY die hards probably don't purchase all your components per-project, but rather have a supply of certain components in various common values that you supplement with per-project orders.

So what would be recommended for keep-on-hand? Do you buy in kits with X number of resistors in various values, or what?

Have any suggestions of what and where to buy?

=====================================
* The EKx series were sold as complete kits or as just PCBs. All of them were based on CEM chips in the 3300 series (EKx-10 used the 3310, EKx-20 used the 3320, EKx-30 used the 3330, EKx-40 used the 3340), most or all of which are discontinued. I bought and built one of each, and then bought enough PCB and chips to build 4 of everything: 4 VCO, VCF, VCEG, VCA...so I've got all the chips, though I have no clue whether they work or not. I never got around to figuring out how to build a PS or the front panels. Now that there's this thing called the internet, I find there's PS's readily available, and resources for building front panels, or having them made for me...and you guys have got me wondering if I want to jump in and build this thing for real...or just sell the chips & PCBs.
money bags
i normally buy from mouser. but you can find a few other places people like. if mouser done not have it bridechamber.com probably will.

if you end up selling the PCBS and parts i would be interested.
emdot_ambient
But do you just order the parts you need for each project, or do you buy a large # of resistors, for example, at various ohms?
werock
I buy 1% resistors in packs of 100 from Rapid in the UK - probably like most suppliers those low cost components are only sold in bulk, so for some components you have no choice but to hold a stock - try asking then for 1 47ohm resistor lol

You could quite easily have a stock of common ICs (e.g. TL072/82/74/84 etc) and some diodes, but I've found capacitors vary too much between projects too keep any in bulk.
emdot_ambient
werock wrote:
...try asking then for 1 47ohm resistor

I just looked on Mouser. They sell you those with a minimum order of 1. 1 to 4,999 of them are as cheap as $0.05 each...well, 47ohm 1% metal film, 1/4 watt/
sduck
I just buy for each project. Usually from mouser, although digikey is good too. Actually I usually place several orders per project, as I'm really good at leaving out a few key components on the first order.
scozbor
yeah i buy for each project, but i buy more than i need for that project.
bf
So far I have been buying parts for a groups of PCBs at a time. I combine all of the BOMs and if it makes sense financially according to the quantity breakdowns to buy 1,000 pieces of a component rather than 463, I will. I might also look at BOMs for the next lot of boards I am likely to order for, and if the numbers make sense I might opt for the larger quantity at that time as I'm going to be ordering the parts sooner or later anyways. I probably over analyze things, but hey that is just the way I am. I also tend to buy in numbers to have a few extra in case I do something stupid where the price break to the next quantity step is significant enough to prohibit making the step at that time. This tends to turn out less expensive than if I were to have to pay shipping and order a minimum quantity for a single part. Sales on more expensive parts are something I have also taken advantage of to create a surplus. I have yet to buy a large number of components at different values just to have them. I don't know if that is helpful and I'm still pretty green to sdiy so take my comments as you will.
DGTom
Buy resistors in bulk. Its pretty easy to work out which values keep popping up. Just feed a decent amount of BOMs into excel & pretty quickly you'll see patterns emerge; you can never have too many 100K 1%s for example grin

Caps. are much the same as resistors; you'll always need 100nF monolythics, 10uF Electros etc.

I also keep 1N4148 diodes, differant voltage zeners, 2N3904/06 transistors, a bunch of differant pots, switches & LEDs around. As well as 'standard' op-amps & my ever growing hoard of CMOS Flamey
consumed
if i need one resistor for one project ill buy 200 of that value from mouser
since the price of those resistors goes from .09 to .02 in bulk
for most of my diy projects i dont have to order resistors anymore as the stock is pretty good.

i also have a stash of

ferrite beads
1n4148 diodes
TL072
TL074
IC sockets (8pin, 14pin and 16pin)
mta .100 headers
mta .156 headers
leds
jacks
knobs
pots of varying values

i try to avoid buying caps except on a project by project basis.

EDIT:
i now have small stashes of:
-bc549, 559 trannies
-100nF bypass mlcc capacitors
-100nF smt bypass caps (1206)
-10uF/22uF electrolytic caps (for PS input)
pleaseohplease
If you use mouser try using the BOM importer and project manager. I use it to keep each project organized and then if I happen to build the same project again down the road I have the parts list all ready to go at the click of a button. And even I don't build the same project per se, if there was a part from that project that I need for a different project I know exactly where to find it.
consumed
pleaseohplease wrote:
If you use mouser try using the BOM importer and project manager.

i <3 project manager
panda30y
consumed wrote:
pleaseohplease wrote:

i <3 project manager

I agree!

I personally order on a project to project basis and order certain components such as jacks and knobs in bulk if I know I'll need them for future projects. I would order parts like resistors in bulk, but I don't have a component cabinet yet. hmmm..... Thinking of it now, I'll jot that down on my letter to Santa.
RF
I almost always order in numbers that make the quantity price break smile, and/or to the $ level for free shipping.
Honestly - parts are cheap if you order well - and I'd rather have them on hand at a great price than to pay 10 times the price locally - if I can even get it locally.

It's nice to have a decent selection in the parts bin...There are some modules or projects I don't have to order for. I like that.

bruce
neandrewthal
I just buy for 20+ modules at a time and buy extra of everything plus 2904/6/BC547, TL072 by the hundred. 1k, 10k, 100k and 1N4148's by the thousand, and I still run out of stuff and have to order more angry
cornutt
Resistors are so cheap, and they take up so little room, there's no reason not to keep a stock on hand. Buy a kit that has a selection of values. Mouser usually has good deals on these, but also, if you're in the U.S., check All Electronics.

Nobody has mentioned transistors. I keep a small stock of 2N3904 NPNs and 2N4403 PNPs. These are general purpose small-signal transistors that you'll see used in a lot of projects.
Luka
just watch out if you find yourself buying stuff in bulk cos its cheap and rare even though you don't really probably need it.

Soapbox Soapbox

eg, i just bought about 100 SSM2220 and SSM2210s as they were really cheap, while it seems like a genius investment i shortly realised how much $$ i just spent on something ill never use very frustrating i also couldnt afford to order some other stuff that i actually needed very frustrating very frustrating
fonik
i buy parts for each project, BUT i order more than i need to have parts in stock. this way the stock is growing and i have a lot of parts on hand when i need them.
when i start a new project i buy the parts i have not in stock - more than i need again.
and so forth
neandrewthal
Luka wrote:
eg, i just bought about 100 SSM2220 and SSM2210s as they were really cheap, while it seems like a genius investment i shortly realised how much $$ i just spent on something ill never use very frustrating i also couldnt afford to order some other stuff that i actually needed very frustrating very frustrating

Just build a couple Tau Phasers thumbs up

Depending on how much you paid for them, maybe you could sell them and make a few bucks while still saving people money on the going price?
Luka
yes tau phasors indeed
i am building one at the moment and i thought i would drop them in until i realised that i had already soldered in the IC sockets for the 3086s doh!
oh well, i might build another

and yeah, if anyone wants some ssm2220 / ssm2210 ill do them for $5 each
or trade for other stuff (though i dont have them here yet)

this was kinda what i was going to do anyway, i grabbed em as bridechamber (my only other source) sells em for $10 each as they are now out of production
emdot_ambient
panda30y wrote:
consumed wrote:
pleaseohplease wrote:

i <3 project manager

I agree!

Thanks! I had never seen that...Very nice!

I've been looking around and I get really confused by all the selections when you look up even one individual part on places like Mouser...sigh...makes me feel totally noobish...like here:

http://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplies/Component-Kits/_/N-5gg3?Keyword=r esistors&FS=True

Just the component kits make me go...uh...mmm...OK, now what?

I've built a few things from kits before and actually was pretty good at soldering. But this sourcing components thing is really a drag. Russian Roulette
Luka
mouser is not the best place to start ordering
i would try somewhere like futurlec first
things are a bit more simple
consumed
emdot_ambient wrote:
I've been looking around and I get really confused by all the selections when you look up even one individual part on places like Mouser...sigh...makes me feel totally noobish...like here:

http://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplies/Component-Kits/_/N-5gg3?Keyword=r esistors&FS=True

Just the component kits make me go...uh...mmm...OK, now what?

here's an easy place to start for ordering resistors from mouser.
i use 1/4 watt 1% metal film resistors wherever possible.
at mouser, the 1% metal film resistor part numbers all look like this:

271-680-RC (680 ohms)
271-2.2K-RC (2200 ohms)
271-56K-RC (56000 ohms)

so i just plug in the value i need between the 271 and RC and search.

if i need a really large value of resistor, ill use the 5% carbon resistors, since they are not available in 1% metal film:

291-4.7M-RC (4,700,000 ohms)
cornutt
I suggest that this thread become a sticky.
emdot_ambient
consumed wrote:
here's an easy place to start for ordering resistors from mouser.
i use 1/4 watt 1% metal film resistors wherever possible.
at mouser, the 1% metal film resistor part numbers all look like this:

271-680-RC (680 ohms)
271-2.2K-RC (2200 ohms)
271-56K-RC (56000 ohms)

so i just plug in the value i need between the 271 and RC and search.

if i need a really large value of resistor, ill use the 5% carbon resistors, since they are not available in 1% metal film:

291-4.7M-RC (4,700,000 ohms)

Nice. Great tip!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2