MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Components To Keep On Hand
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Components To Keep On Hand
emdot_ambient
cornutt wrote:
I suggest that this thread become a sticky.

It would seem like a good one to sticky, as would a "Hard To Find Component Sources" thread or something like that...and a "Pots & Jacks" thread 'cause noobs like me are always going to be like, "Do I REALLY need to spring for Vishay/Spectrol jacks at $2.30 apiece."

Though I just realized I'm going to need more like 200+ of them and can get a price of around $1.36 apiece for them.
wetterberg
cornutt wrote:
I suggest that this thread become a sticky.
+1!
I sometimes think I'm ridiculous for actually having trouble dealing with ordering components at all - this thread is a great reminder of how hard it can be, but also what can be done to make it easier.

I still wish there was like a joint effort to make projects for all the modules out there. It would be in everyones best interest, and I'd start the work at RapidOnline myself if they weren't so annoying to buy from :-(
emdot_ambient
So I've started collecting all the crap I need for DIY...and it's all the common hardware and things that's got me this time.

PCB standoffs (type/size/thread, etc.)
Wire for connecting panel HW (type, gauge, etc.)

What else am I going to need...what do you usually use, where do you get it, etc.

Same old story, look for it on mouser or wherever and you get 8 billion choices.
Luka
stickied smile

i am usually stocked up in various things like

opamps (tl072s tl074s)
transistors (standard npn pnps)
resistors of all kinds (bulk in 1k, 1m, 10k, 100k, 1m, 47k, 22k)
100n multi-layer ceramics
10n electro caps
1n1418 diodes
0.100 connectors and headers of various pin sizes
stand offs
heat shrink tube
wire of various colours
pcbs (wish i could find a way to stop stocking these smile )
pots
knobs

these days i have stock of lots of weird stuff too like tubes, exotic IC, random tools that were bought for 1 use, old school lamps, old school meters, vactrols

i want to find a place for bulk standoffs, ive been buying mine at jaycar and it costs a fortune. i guess i could probably get them from a nut and bolt kinda place hey

i use futurelec for all connectors and headers and IC. recently ive worked out that their resistors are not so good. i have had to match lots of resistors for projects and it is hard to find matches with their stock even when they are on the same roll. jaycar resistors have been the best so far for that

allied electronics for knobs and pretty stuff

rockby (local shop) for all other bits

if you are new to all of this i would recommend shops like small bear. they have a pretty good selection of all the bits you need
consumed
emdot_ambient wrote:
Wire for connecting panel HW (type, gauge, etc.)

i use this stuff for EVERYTHING (except power) because it makes life easy.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=85

consumed
emdot_ambient wrote:
PCB standoffs (type/size/thread, etc.)

i think mcmaster-carr is the best place to shop for this kind of hardware
i went with 4-40 screws, hex standoffs and washers
here's an order i placed at the beginning of the year
i find that i dont have much use for the really long standoffs though.
http://www.mcmaster.com

the bad producer
I tend to use threaded standoffs as they look better etc etc,

but when I run out I use M3 bolts and bits of cut down biro as spacers... gotta find a use for all those old biros... can look quite neat too!

charlie

(waste not want not - as they used to say!)
emdot_ambient
the bad producer wrote:
...when I run out I use M3 bolts and bits of cut down biro as spacers...

lol You're a nutter! But I like your style!

Thanks, everyone. Great info.
decaying.sine
I am getting ready to buy resistors for some projects and plan to get a couple hundred of various values. I am wondering what folks recommend for power and voltage rating? There is a reference above to 1/4 watt power rating. Is that fine for all synth DIY applications? How about the voltage?
neandrewthal
decaying.sine wrote:
I am getting ready to buy resistors for some projects and plan to get a couple hundred of various values. I am wondering what folks recommend for power and voltage rating? There is a reference above to 1/4 watt power rating. Is that fine for all synth DIY applications? How about the voltage?

You`ll want to stick to quarter watt if you want them to be small enough to fit most PCBs. I`ve never even heard of voltage ratings for resistors. Any quarter watt should be fine.
Luka
fine

i would recommend get a couple hundred of
1k, 2k2, 4k7, 10k, 22k, 47k, ... 470k etc up to 2m2
(500+ in some cases like 10k, 100k)
then small packs of what you need around these amounts
decaying.sine
perfect. thank you. the mouser filter gives you a lot of options so this helps narrow my focus.
Peake
[quote="DGTom"]Caps. are much the same as resistors; you'll always need 100nF monolythics, 10uF Electros etc.quote]

Yep, I see them on many of the DIY boards that are around these days. I have a bag of 10uF for just such an emergency.
StkMtd
xyz
StkMtd
decaying.sine wrote:

Resistors burn up if you pass too much power through them. They're not rated in voltage.

As an example you could have a 10k 1/4W resistor pass 500V

P = V * I
0.25 W = 500 V * I
I = 0.25 W / 500 V
I = 500 uA

but it would only take a maximum of 500 uA (which is almost nothing), and it would be very foolish. However, you can see that the limit is based on 2 factors, and not one.

This is unlike capacitors which won't pass a current, and can only be rated in terms of the maximum voltage across the plates. (before they ostensibly explode)
decaying.sine
StkMtd wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:

Resistors burn up if you pass too much power through them. They're not rated in voltage.

P = V * I
0.25 W = 500 V * I
I = 0.25 W / 500 V
I = 500 uA

but it would only take a maximum of 500 uA (which is almost nothing), and it would be very foolish. However, you can see that the limit is based on 2 factors, and not one.

This is unlike capacitors which won't pass a current, and can only be rated in terms of the maximum voltage across the plates. (before they ostensibly explode)

Thanks for the information. I've been reading through the all about electronics site, and I appreciate any info I can get.
StkMtd
decaying.sine wrote:
StkMtd wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:

P = V * I
0.25 W = 500 V * I
I = 0.25 W / 500 V
I = 500 uA

Thanks for the information. I've been reading through the all about electronics site, and I appreciate any info I can get.

Best way to get a grip on it is to put it into practice. As general advice though, I've seldom found applications that require more than 1/4W. I only have 1/2W resistors because they're sometimes cheaper than 1/4W (which is the case for the large pile of 2M2 I have at the moment). Some people say it's hard to fit 1/2W onto a board, but I wonder if they've ever heard of Axial Mounting. I understand vertical space can be a concern, but I think it's fine in most applications.
consumed
Peake wrote:
DGTom wrote:
Caps. are much the same as resistors; you'll always need 100nF monolythics, 10uF Electros etc.

Yep, I see them on many of the DIY boards that are around these days. I have a bag of 10uF for just such an emergency.

i now have a small stash of 22uF electrolytics and 100nF multilayered ceramics since they are mostly present on every single board ive been building.
Neutron7
Sometimes at digikey (and maybe mouser, never checked) there are resistors like 22.1 k 1% Instead of 22k
its close enough and those off values are usually very cheap, and good quality, so just be careful how you search.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2