MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A quick MATHS test... help me spend money
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A quick MATHS test... help me spend money
tIB
So AH has the last of my planned module buys in stock and Ive just noticed they also have MATHS...

I have one MATHS and have the following options to complete my 9U:

1) another MATHS

2) MFB dual LFO and dual ADSR

Now eventually Ill get both one of those options again anyway, so for now getting another maths from the US will save me 80 dollars or so on the UK price whereas the MFB stuff is euro built anyway and would be the same price.

Obviously theres a few features I wouldnt have initially in not having the HS in the MFB env and cross mod from the LFO.

So... how is MATHS (or 2) as a modulation source and after looking at my system below which would you go for?

EDIT: sorry forgot to resize pic
deastman
Between the A-147, uLFO, and Maths, I think you probably have enough LFOs for the size of your system. I'd probably go for the dual ADSR and some other module. But then again, Maths is very versatile...

Edit: I'm also surprised at how many filters you have in there. I know that basic utility modules aren't glamorous, but I usually recommend looking at the A-100 basic systems as a good guide to what you want in a starter system. For example, more mixers and VCAs would be at the top of my list.
Adam-V
I agree, you can never have too many VCAs and Mixers. Both linear and exponential.

Cheers,
Adam-V
tIB
Thanks for the input... The longer term plan is to get the cwejman VCA4-mx, in the mean time Ill settle for the drum-99 and the QMMG for mixing and the QMMG and Asys for VCA's... if I get really desperate the stg wavefolder could come in handy for that too.

At this point when I look at the QMMG I dont see 4 filters, I see 2 filters and 2 VCA's.
dkcg
tIB wrote:

So... how is MATHS (or 2) as a modulation source and after looking at my system below which would you go for?

The Maths is a great modulator, but even better if you feed it other LFOs to slew, add, subtract, etc.

I would forget about any ADSR unless you want polyphony or plan on using it with a keyboard often. You can make an ADSR from any gate or squarewave LFO with the maths.

I have two Maths, and together they are a great modulator, EOR and EOF cross firing two maths is fun...starts to get into weirdo almost Vulcan modulator types of gestures. I secretly want even more Maths...
breakscience
dkcg wrote:
I secretly want even more Maths...

You animal!
tIB
dkcg wrote:
You can make an ADSR from any gate or squarewave LFO with the maths.

That's what I do on my MD, I figured I could do the same here too if need be.

Hmmmm, lets all have more MATHS! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
science
My suggestion would be, leave that space open and figure it out when you've spent some time with your system wink

By that time, you might even be able to save yourself some money and buy a used Maths.
tIB
^ A very good point, though a used MATHS (@80%) in the UK would be more than Ill pay to import it to here.

Ironic that Im now 'wiggling with experience' without plugging in a jack! oops
science
lol

Another thing is, there are lots of other really cool modules coming out in the near term. You might end up wanting some of those wink
tIB
^ No need to worry about future space... I have more plans once I've actually got home and tweaked/learned the shit out of this monster. lol

Funny thing is Im already planning to learn module at a time, then row at a time... strange I'm so fixated about 'finishing' the 9U, I put it down to pre move anxiety: Im like a really annoying bride to be, I just want everything to be perfect! lol love d'oh!
loudone
i gotta say the vulcan is one of my faves so far....i have a maths and put the vulcan into maths last night...i thought god was talking to me at 4 am but then i put the water pipe down.... SlayerBadger!
and i was thinking a second maths is in order after only a few hours of playing with mine, also asecond vulcan would kill Dead Banana
tIB
loudone wrote:
i gotta say the vulcan is one of my faves so far....i have a maths and put the vulcan into maths last night...i thought god was talking to me at 4 am but then i put the water pipe down.... SlayerBadger! :

lol

loudone wrote:
and i was thinking a second maths is in order after only a few hours of playing with mine...

Well then its official, everyone gets more maths, including me who orders one later... I understand and accept that I dont make the majority of my decisions based on logic. There I said it SlayerBadger!

Now for the more pressing issues... Maths either side of QMMG or next to it?
ST UF FLI N EAR
Above it next to eachother.
Me allso want another maths.
Bridezillah!
berfmurret
i'm going for either side. i think for me this is more of an aesthetic thing than any functional reason, really.. maybe one day i will get two more and do one above and one below. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

my 2nd one ships with my ulfo. that will be a good day. Rockin' Banana!
berfmurret
double
tIB
Ooh two above opens up a whole new rackplanner challenge!

For now it's this...
tIB
Bum, AH out of stock on the qmmg again Dead Banana
ST UF FLI N EAR
I wouldnt put the slew in. Youve got two maths for that.
Allso the as vca i would swap for a doepfer double vca. Plus the doepfer ringmod should offcourse be the makenoise 2nd gen one.
tIB
Cheers for the input, though I have those already...

You're right though, moddemod will go in eventually, as will the cwejman vca4mx if I find Im short on VCA's and mixers. I know doepfer are planning a quad vca, maybe that will have dropped by the time Im ready to upgrade.

The asys and the slew are stop gaps really, though I intend to keep them as they will be useful for other plans I have.
wetterberg
I'd keep the slew, for sure. Using the Maths to do slewing is like getting a Macbeth Dual Oscillator to use the ringmod lol
ST UF FLI N EAR
lol

yes, but when you have 2 (and he's getting them anyway) i could imagine to use one channel for slewing every once in a while.

but ok, doesnt matter, apparently he already owns the slew.
tIB
^ Yeah the slew came free (in my head) with another used module I picked up. I figured it would come in handy in the longer term also, as I would like to eventually have an idependantly controlled basic architecture 3 oscilator voice in a more traditional style.

Keep meaning to check your myspace ST UF FLI N EAR, really intrigued by the approach/set up you talk about in your build thread... hopefully Ill get chance in work today. Thanks again for the input... tis all useful thumbs up
loudone
tIB
I must say the a160/161 combo is very useful for rhythmic triggers of envelopes, lfo resets..maths fun...it is a very useful combo for little money and only 8hp
tIB
Thanks man, I hear you; forgot to add it in to the first picture in place of the A136 distortion I may or may not keep in the long term. Will definately give me lots more than the dist will in the 9U. When I started out I looked at modules like that as boring... how times change!

Sorted out the finer details of my order with AH and it's all in hand... just left with the mixer and the A160/161 now, though will do that just before I go home. Better get some midi->cv sorted too...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1