A quick MATHS test... help me spend money

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

tIB
Stainer!

A quick MATHS test... help me spend money

Post by tIB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:33 pm

So AH has the last of my planned module buys in stock and Ive just noticed they also have MATHS...

I have one MATHS and have the following options to complete my 9U:

1) another MATHS

2) MFB dual LFO and dual ADSR

Now eventually Ill get both one of those options again anyway, so for now getting another maths from the US will save me 80 dollars or so on the UK price whereas the MFB stuff is euro built anyway and would be the same price.

Obviously theres a few features I wouldnt have initially in not having the HS in the MFB env and cross mod from the LFO.

So... how is MATHS (or 2) as a modulation source and after looking at my system below which would you go for?

EDIT: sorry forgot to resize pic

deastman
Stuck in the 80's

Post by deastman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:26 pm

Between the A-147, uLFO, and Maths, I think you probably have enough LFOs for the size of your system. I'd probably go for the dual ADSR and some other module. But then again, Maths is very versatile...

Edit: I'm also surprised at how many filters you have in there. I know that basic utility modules aren't glamorous, but I usually recommend looking at the A-100 basic systems as a good guide to what you want in a starter system. For example, more mixers and VCAs would be at the top of my list.

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:34 pm

I agree, you can never have too many VCAs and Mixers. Both linear and exponential.

Cheers,
Adam-V

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks for the input... The longer term plan is to get the cwejman VCA4-mx, in the mean time Ill settle for the drum-99 and the QMMG for mixing and the QMMG and Asys for VCA's... if I get really desperate the stg wavefolder could come in handy for that too.

At this point when I look at the QMMG I dont see 4 filters, I see 2 filters and 2 VCA's.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Re: A quick MATHS test... help me spend money

Post by dkcg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 pm

tIB wrote: So... how is MATHS (or 2) as a modulation source and after looking at my system below which would you go for?
The Maths is a great modulator, but even better if you feed it other LFOs to slew, add, subtract, etc.

I would forget about any ADSR unless you want polyphony or plan on using it with a keyboard often. You can make an ADSR from any gate or squarewave LFO with the maths.

I have two Maths, and together they are a great modulator, EOR and EOF cross firing two maths is fun...starts to get into weirdo almost Vulcan modulator types of gestures. I secretly want even more Maths...

breakscience
Common Wiggler

Re: A quick MATHS test... help me spend money

Post by breakscience » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:15 pm

dkcg wrote:I secretly want even more Maths...
You animal!

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:36 pm

dkcg wrote: You can make an ADSR from any gate or squarewave LFO with the maths.
That's what I do on my MD, I figured I could do the same here too if need be.

Hmmmm, lets all have more MATHS! :omg:

science
Spending Spree!

Post by science » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:18 pm

My suggestion would be, leave that space open and figure it out when you've spent some time with your system ;)

By that time, you might even be able to save yourself some money and buy a used Maths.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:33 pm

^ A very good point, though a used MATHS (@80%) in the UK would be more than Ill pay to import it to here.

Ironic that Im now 'wiggling with experience' without plugging in a jack! :oops:

science
Spending Spree!

Post by science » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:40 pm

:lol:

Another thing is, there are lots of other really cool modules coming out in the near term. You might end up wanting some of those ;)

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:22 pm

^ No need to worry about future space... I have more plans once I've actually got home and tweaked/learned the shit out of this monster. :lol:

Funny thing is Im already planning to learn module at a time, then row at a time... strange I'm so fixated about 'finishing' the 9U, I put it down to pre move anxiety: Im like a really annoying bride to be, I just want everything to be perfect! :lol: :love: :doh:

loudone
Common Wiggler

Post by loudone » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:05 am

i gotta say the vulcan is one of my faves so far....i have a maths and put the vulcan into maths last night...i thought god was talking to me at 4 am but then i put the water pipe down.... :sb:
and i was thinking a second maths is in order after only a few hours of playing with mine, also asecond vulcan would kill :deadbanana:

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:52 am

loudone wrote:i gotta say the vulcan is one of my faves so far....i have a maths and put the vulcan into maths last night...i thought god was talking to me at 4 am but then i put the water pipe down.... :sb: :
loudone wrote:and i was thinking a second maths is in order after only a few hours of playing with mine...
Well then its official, everyone gets more maths, including me who orders one later... I understand and accept that I dont make the majority of my decisions based on logic. There I said it :sb:

Now for the more pressing issues... Maths either side of QMMG or next to it?

ST UF FLI N EAR
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ST UF FLI N EAR » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Above it next to eachother.
Me allso want another maths.
Bridezillah!

berfmurret
Ultra Wiggler

Post by berfmurret » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:15 pm

i'm going for either side. i think for me this is more of an aesthetic thing than any functional reason, really.. maybe one day i will get two more and do one above and one below. :omg:

my 2nd one ships with my ulfo. that will be a good day. :bananaguitar:
Last edited by berfmurret on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berfmurret
Ultra Wiggler

Post by berfmurret » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:17 pm

double

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Ooh two above opens up a whole new rackplanner challenge!

For now it's this...

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:58 am

Bum, AH out of stock on the qmmg again :deadbanana:

ST UF FLI N EAR
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ST UF FLI N EAR » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:22 am

I wouldnt put the slew in. Youve got two maths for that.
Allso the as vca i would swap for a doepfer double vca. Plus the doepfer ringmod should offcourse be the makenoise 2nd gen one.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:17 am

Cheers for the input, though I have those already...

You're right though, moddemod will go in eventually, as will the cwejman vca4mx if I find Im short on VCA's and mixers. I know doepfer are planning a quad vca, maybe that will have dropped by the time Im ready to upgrade.

The asys and the slew are stop gaps really, though I intend to keep them as they will be useful for other plans I have.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:05 am

I'd keep the slew, for sure. Using the Maths to do slewing is like getting a Macbeth Dual Oscillator to use the ringmod :lol:

ST UF FLI N EAR
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ST UF FLI N EAR » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:31 pm

yes, but when you have 2 (and he's getting them anyway) i could imagine to use one channel for slewing every once in a while.

but ok, doesnt matter, apparently he already owns the slew.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:02 pm

^ Yeah the slew came free (in my head) with another used module I picked up. I figured it would come in handy in the longer term also, as I would like to eventually have an idependantly controlled basic architecture 3 oscilator voice in a more traditional style.

Keep meaning to check your myspace ST UF FLI N EAR, really intrigued by the approach/set up you talk about in your build thread... hopefully Ill get chance in work today. Thanks again for the input... tis all useful :tu:

loudone
Common Wiggler

Post by loudone » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 am

tIB
I must say the a160/161 combo is very useful for rhythmic triggers of envelopes, lfo resets..maths fun...it is a very useful combo for little money and only 8hp

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:44 am

Thanks man, I hear you; forgot to add it in to the first picture in place of the A136 distortion I may or may not keep in the long term. Will definately give me lots more than the dist will in the 9U. When I started out I looked at modules like that as boring... how times change!

Sorted out the finer details of my order with AH and it's all in hand... just left with the mixer and the A160/161 now, though will do that just before I go home. Better get some midi->cv sorted too...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”