MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best 5U MIDI interface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Best 5U MIDI interface
ZenMusic
I need advice ... I'll have synth.com cabinet .... mixing modules from various manufacturers ...

What is the best MIDI Interface (MIDI to CV ?)

Do any give me (in addition) CV to MIDI OUT ?
Savage
It's not a conventional MIDI Interface like the Dotcom Q174/Q175, but the Q171/Q172 Quantizer/Aid combo provides a very basic CV-to-MIDI Out function. When you use Channel 4 on the Q172, you get MIDI pitch information from the MIDI Out. I've used this many times to drive a MIDI keyboard from the output of a Q960, and I love it when I'm running out of VCO's and a MIDI keyboard sound will work for the sequencing. But keep in mind that the Q172 is the Quantizer Aid module that requires the Q171 to work. And this is a 'gravy' function of the Dotcom Quantizer/Quantizer Aid. It's not a MIDI-to-CV module, and it only provides MIDI pitch information. Personally, I'm not aware of any MIDI Interfaces that do both, though there might be.
PrimateSynthesis
ZenMusic wrote:
I need advice ... I'll have synth.com cabinet .... mixing modules from various manufacturers ...

What is the best MIDI Interface (MIDI to CV ?)

Do any give me (in addition) CV to MIDI OUT ?

I don't do dotcom, but it looks like http://www.lunar-experience.com makes CV to MIDI.
sduck
MOTM 650 is best, but currently unobtanium

Moon Modular 552 (at PS's link) does cv>midi
PrimateSynthesis
Also, as someone who had a Roland OP-8M, CV to MIDI might not be as useful as one might imagine.
Samuron
I know it's not 5U, but I like my PAIA Midi2cv8.

Since it comes with its own power supply, you can put it anywhere.

ZenMusic
Samuron wrote:
PAIA Midi2cv8.

cool, what's the box it's in, did you make it or buy it?

How long did it take to build?
ZenMusic
Savage wrote:
Q171/Q172 Quantizer/Aid combo provides a very basic CV-to-MIDI Out function. When you use Channel 4 on the Q172, you get MIDI pitch information from the MIDI Out.

oh, that was helpful... I was getting the Q171 but didn't see the use of the Q172 .. I'll add that back in to my order...
ZenMusic
sduck wrote:
MOTM 650 is best, but currently unobtanium

THIS would have been my choice ...
.. Is MOTM out of business? I found the SynthTech site , but it seems to be out of date. the referenced http://synthcube.com/ site is gone
Samuron
ZenMusic wrote:
Samuron wrote:
PAIA Midi2cv8.

cool, what's the box it's in, did you make it or buy it?

Made it out of thin oak

Quote:
How long did it take to build?

About an hour, not counting the finishing.

It was a step up from what I had been using:
KnobHell
It appears to be sitting under the volume loop of your theremin.

I did a redesign of the paia in 5u for my synth. I used a high quality dac and got good accuracy using 8 bits only.

Samuron wrote:
I know it's not 5U, but I like my PAIA Midi2cv8.

Since it comes with its own power supply, you can put it anywhere.

Samuron
Sweet. thumbs up
burnsjed
Knobhell, that is one seriously large picture.
Hard to actually get a decent idea of what it looks like, and I am looking at it on 23" monitors
kindredlost
burnsjed wrote:
Hard to actually get a decent idea of what it looks like, and I am looking at it on 23" monitors

I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree!
sduck
burnsjed wrote:

Shrink those pics! They're huge!

I used the paia one for a while - if you take some serious time calibrating it, and/or replace the trimmer with a 20 turn one, you can get decent voltages out of it. Does upgrading the dac improve the dropped notes issue? That's a common problem with these - they drop like 1 out of 100 notes, which can be ...frustrating.

How about the Oakley mididac? I've heard great things about them, and the price is right. And how about the new dotcom one?

MOTM/synthesis technology isn't out of business, just out of the supplying finished MOTM modules business anymore. He's making real money doing euro, so that's where the energy goes. Supposedly he's doing yet another run of 650's, but I seem to remember that all the ones he was planning on doing were spoken for already, so if you really want one (and you do, trust me) you have to find a used one. He's also talked about a redesign of the thing for euro (and possibly 5U) but we'll see if that actually happens.
KnobHell
burnsjed wrote:

Sorry guys, I linked it from my web server, I'll fix it tomorrow.
KnobHell
I don't believe that the dac has anything to do with the dropped notes. It just makes the outputs more linear accross the scale. I changed some of the circuitry a bit and tweaked the sw to match. I can post all my files if any one is interested. Pcb, schematic, and firmware.

sduck wrote:
burnsjed wrote:

Shrink those pics! They're huge!

I used the paia one for a while - if you take some serious time calibrating it, and/or replace the trimmer with a 20 turn one, you can get decent voltages out of it. Does upgrading the dac improve the dropped notes issue? That's a common problem with these - they drop like 1 out of 100 notes, which can be ...frustrating.

How about the Oakley mididac? I've heard great things about them, and the price is right. And how about the new dotcom one?

MOTM/synthesis technology isn't out of business, just out of the supplying finished MOTM modules business anymore. He's making real money doing euro, so that's where the energy goes. Supposedly he's doing yet another run of 650's, but I seem to remember that all the ones he was planning on doing were spoken for already, so if you really want one (and you do, trust me) you have to find a used one. He's also talked about a redesign of the thing for euro (and possibly 5U) but we'll see if that actually happens.
JohnLRice
+1 for MOTM-650 MIDI -> CV thumbs up

+1 for Moon 552 CV -> MIDI thumbs up
Thalassa
I have an old kenton midi-cv and i'm really happy with it. The only thing that I would change is that it has mini-jack outputs.
megaohm
Thalassa wrote:
I have an old kenton midi-cv and i'm really happy with it.

Me, too, and I love it. I recommend a Kenton Pro Solo (any version) to anyone looking for MIDI-CV. Definitely get one if it is your first MIDI-CV.

Quote:
The only thing that I would change is that it has mini-jack outputs.

So true!
I have the outs always patched to a dedicated mult for this module.
KnobHell
Smaller pictures uploaded now.
boothnavy
+1 on any Kenton box. I have three.

2 x Kenton pro-solos

1 x Pro-4

Pro 4 is discontinued, but if you can get one they rule. Four separate channels that each do v/oct or hz/v, v-trig or s-trig, 8 aux cv outs, Sync 24 (for Roland XOX devices) and 2 expansion ports for either DCB/WASP (use mine with my Juno-60) or KADI. It also has a polyphonic mode so you can use it for polyphonic modular action!
LED-man
here is a building of a midi-cv interface.

DIY project from sequencer.de
Projectlead: nordcore

more infos and links to the sequencer.de thread can you find here:
http://www.dsl-man.de/display/MAIN/nordcore+MIDI+CV+Interface

have to change the panel in a other design, maybe 2014
PrimateSynthesis
boothnavy wrote:

Pro 4 is discontinued, but if you an get one they rule. Four separate channels that each do v/oct or hz/v, v-trig or s-trig, 8 aux cv outs, Sync 24 (for Roland XOX devices) and 2 expansion ports for either DCB/WASP (use mine with my Juno-60) or KADI. It also has a polyphonic mode so you can use it for polyphonic modular action!

I love my Pro 4 love

It also has a clock output set to a division to MIDI beat clock.

Although just to let people know, not all of them do Hz/V as that was an option.
keninverse
I've lusted for a 650 for such a long time.
I have an Oakley/Maddox that I've used for years. It suits me well and it's built into a small Hammond enclosure. I think you may be able to pick them up form Elby still assuming you're DIY savvy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3