MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best 5U MIDI interface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Best 5U MIDI interface
ZenMusic
I need advice ... I'll have synth.com cabinet .... mixing modules from various manufacturers ...

What is the best MIDI Interface (MIDI to CV ?)

Do any give me (in addition) CV to MIDI OUT ?
Savage
It's not a conventional MIDI Interface like the Dotcom Q174/Q175, but the Q171/Q172 Quantizer/Aid combo provides a very basic CV-to-MIDI Out function. When you use Channel 4 on the Q172, you get MIDI pitch information from the MIDI Out. I've used this many times to drive a MIDI keyboard from the output of a Q960, and I love it when I'm running out of VCO's and a MIDI keyboard sound will work for the sequencing. But keep in mind that the Q172 is the Quantizer Aid module that requires the Q171 to work. And this is a 'gravy' function of the Dotcom Quantizer/Quantizer Aid. It's not a MIDI-to-CV module, and it only provides MIDI pitch information. Personally, I'm not aware of any MIDI Interfaces that do both, though there might be.
PrimateSynthesis
ZenMusic wrote:
I need advice ... I'll have synth.com cabinet .... mixing modules from various manufacturers ...

What is the best MIDI Interface (MIDI to CV ?)

Do any give me (in addition) CV to MIDI OUT ?

I don't do dotcom, but it looks like http://www.lunar-experience.com makes CV to MIDI.
sduck
MOTM 650 is best, but currently unobtanium

Moon Modular 552 (at PS's link) does cv>midi
PrimateSynthesis
Also, as someone who had a Roland OP-8M, CV to MIDI might not be as useful as one might imagine.
Samuron
I know it's not 5U, but I like my PAIA Midi2cv8.

Since it comes with its own power supply, you can put it anywhere.

ZenMusic
Samuron wrote:
PAIA Midi2cv8.

cool, what's the box it's in, did you make it or buy it?

How long did it take to build?
ZenMusic
Savage wrote:
Q171/Q172 Quantizer/Aid combo provides a very basic CV-to-MIDI Out function. When you use Channel 4 on the Q172, you get MIDI pitch information from the MIDI Out.

oh, that was helpful... I was getting the Q171 but didn't see the use of the Q172 .. I'll add that back in to my order...
ZenMusic
sduck wrote:
MOTM 650 is best, but currently unobtanium

THIS would have been my choice ...
.. Is MOTM out of business? I found the SynthTech site , but it seems to be out of date. the referenced http://synthcube.com/ site is gone
Samuron
ZenMusic wrote:
Samuron wrote:
PAIA Midi2cv8.

cool, what's the box it's in, did you make it or buy it?

Made it out of thin oak

Quote:
How long did it take to build?

About an hour, not counting the finishing.

It was a step up from what I had been using:
KnobHell
It appears to be sitting under the volume loop of your theremin.

I did a redesign of the paia in 5u for my synth. I used a high quality dac and got good accuracy using 8 bits only.

Samuron wrote:
I know it's not 5U, but I like my PAIA Midi2cv8.

Since it comes with its own power supply, you can put it anywhere.

Samuron
Sweet. thumbs up
burnsjed
Knobhell, that is one seriously large picture.
Hard to actually get a decent idea of what it looks like, and I am looking at it on 23" monitors
kindredlost
burnsjed wrote:
Hard to actually get a decent idea of what it looks like, and I am looking at it on 23" monitors

I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree!
sduck
burnsjed wrote:

Shrink those pics! They're huge!

I used the paia one for a while - if you take some serious time calibrating it, and/or replace the trimmer with a 20 turn one, you can get decent voltages out of it. Does upgrading the dac improve the dropped notes issue? That's a common problem with these - they drop like 1 out of 100 notes, which can be ...frustrating.

How about the Oakley mididac? I've heard great things about them, and the price is right. And how about the new dotcom one?

MOTM/synthesis technology isn't out of business, just out of the supplying finished MOTM modules business anymore. He's making real money doing euro, so that's where the energy goes. Supposedly he's doing yet another run of 650's, but I seem to remember that all the ones he was planning on doing were spoken for already, so if you really want one (and you do, trust me) you have to find a used one. He's also talked about a redesign of the thing for euro (and possibly 5U) but we'll see if that actually happens.
KnobHell
burnsjed wrote:

Sorry guys, I linked it from my web server, I'll fix it tomorrow.
KnobHell
I don't believe that the dac has anything to do with the dropped notes. It just makes the outputs more linear accross the scale. I changed some of the circuitry a bit and tweaked the sw to match. I can post all my files if any one is interested. Pcb, schematic, and firmware.

sduck wrote:
burnsjed wrote:

Shrink those pics! They're huge!

I used the paia one for a while - if you take some serious time calibrating it, and/or replace the trimmer with a 20 turn one, you can get decent voltages out of it. Does upgrading the dac improve the dropped notes issue? That's a common problem with these - they drop like 1 out of 100 notes, which can be ...frustrating.

How about the Oakley mididac? I've heard great things about them, and the price is right. And how about the new dotcom one?

MOTM/synthesis technology isn't out of business, just out of the supplying finished MOTM modules business anymore. He's making real money doing euro, so that's where the energy goes. Supposedly he's doing yet another run of 650's, but I seem to remember that all the ones he was planning on doing were spoken for already, so if you really want one (and you do, trust me) you have to find a used one. He's also talked about a redesign of the thing for euro (and possibly 5U) but we'll see if that actually happens.
JohnLRice
+1 for MOTM-650 MIDI -> CV thumbs up

+1 for Moon 552 CV -> MIDI thumbs up
Thalassa
I have an old kenton midi-cv and i'm really happy with it. The only thing that I would change is that it has mini-jack outputs.
megaohm
Thalassa wrote:
I have an old kenton midi-cv and i'm really happy with it.

Me, too, and I love it. I recommend a Kenton Pro Solo (any version) to anyone looking for MIDI-CV. Definitely get one if it is your first MIDI-CV.

Quote:
The only thing that I would change is that it has mini-jack outputs.

So true!
I have the outs always patched to a dedicated mult for this module.
KnobHell
Smaller pictures uploaded now.
boothnavy
+1 on any Kenton box. I have three.

2 x Kenton pro-solos

1 x Pro-4

Pro 4 is discontinued, but if you can get one they rule. Four separate channels that each do v/oct or hz/v, v-trig or s-trig, 8 aux cv outs, Sync 24 (for Roland XOX devices) and 2 expansion ports for either DCB/WASP (use mine with my Juno-60) or KADI. It also has a polyphonic mode so you can use it for polyphonic modular action!
LED-man
here is a building of a midi-cv interface.

DIY project from sequencer.de
Projectlead: nordcore

more infos and links to the sequencer.de thread can you find here:
http://www.dsl-man.de/display/MAIN/nordcore+MIDI+CV+Interface

have to change the panel in a other design, maybe 2014
PrimateSynthesis
boothnavy wrote:

Pro 4 is discontinued, but if you an get one they rule. Four separate channels that each do v/oct or hz/v, v-trig or s-trig, 8 aux cv outs, Sync 24 (for Roland XOX devices) and 2 expansion ports for either DCB/WASP (use mine with my Juno-60) or KADI. It also has a polyphonic mode so you can use it for polyphonic modular action!

I love my Pro 4 love

It also has a clock output set to a division to MIDI beat clock.

Although just to let people know, not all of them do Hz/V as that was an option.
keninverse
I've lusted for a 650 for such a long time.
I have an Oakley/Maddox that I've used for years. It suits me well and it's built into a small Hammond enclosure. I think you may be able to pick them up form Elby still assuming you're DIY savvy
boothnavy
PrimateSynthesis wrote:

It also has a clock output set to a division to MIDI beat clock.

Although just to let people know, not all of them do Hz/V as that was an option.

doh! forgot about the analog clock out! yeah that's a killer value added feature. Didn't know about the hz/v option as mine is the only one I've used.

But yeah, awesome. Everything very easily set up in a scrolling menu.

Only bummer (for me) is the 1/8" jacks. I have mine wired to a dedicated patch bay with everything coming to 1/4" on the front.
flts
anyone have experience with the marienberg? polyphonic, 16bit converters and all. seems kind of reminiscent of motm650 feature-wise.

http://marienbergdevices.de/modular/uebersicht/midi-conv/
Stereotactixxx
flts wrote:
anyone have experience with the marienberg? polyphonic, 16bit converters and all. seems kind of reminiscent of motm650 feature-wise.

http://marienbergdevices.de/modular/uebersicht/midi-conv/

I have no experience, but if you are considering this, you should note that it's not MU format, neither in width nor in power requirement.
flts
^- very true.
PrimateSynthesis
Stereotactixxx wrote:

I have no experience, but if you are considering this, you should note that it's not MU format, neither in width nor in power requirement.

Do you know what format it is?

It looks like their page is only in German.
Stereotactixxx
They use a unique format, where 1 unit is 2" wide.
They also have their own solution for power, which includes a 3,3 V rail.
GGMIDIJuno
For MIDI input, we have a Q174 MIDI Interface that accepts MIDI and creates Pitch voltage and Gate for one or two channels. And creates voltages for CC1 and CC7, and an on/off signal from CC4.

This module also produces velocity ON and velocity OFF voltages. Yes, the MIDI spec includes velocity OFF.

You get complete control over gate triggering and note priority in real time.
So you can emulate the MiniMoog with its single-trigger high-note scheme or virtually any other response.

http://www.synthesizers.com/q174.html

GGMIDIJuno
The Q175 is an AID module that goes with the Q174 MIDI interface. It adds an arpeggiator, slew limiter and some additional MIDI functionality.

The Aid module concept is my way of letting the user pick which functions they have space and money for.

kdjupdal
GGMIDIJuno wrote:

This module also produces velocity ON and velocity OFF voltages. Yes, the MIDI spec includes velocity OFF.

I didn't know about midi off velocity. Could actually be quite interesting in several ways:
- timbral changes in the release sound
- controlling release duration (with a vc-EG)
- firing a second sound on release, IF off vel is high enough
PrimateSynthesis
Like polyphonic aftertouch, very few keyboards send release velocity.
BTG
Any new thoughts here? Really wish the dotcom aid module had a clock out...seems a surprising omission.
Dave Peck
If you need a big-ass midi to cv converter and it's okay if it's located outside the synth, get an Encore Expressionist eight channel converter. Tons of features, built-in LFOs with zero zippering, a rear midi swiss army knife. It's 19" rack mount. I also got a spare 19" rack panel with 16 holes punched for 1/4" jacks and wired up all of the Expressionist's rear output jacks to this panel for easy patching access to the modular.

Like so:

https://www.pennelcomonline.com/en/Penn-Elcom-1U-Rack-Panel-Punched-fo r-16--x--Jack-Sockets-R12781UK/m-6385.aspx

and:

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_expres.html

Visible at lower left:

Dave Peck
...also, I just noticed that the Oakley MIDI DAC module is available and in stock from Krisp1 right now, in both MU and MOTM/5U formats:

http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&p roducts_id=117
DrReverendSeance
+1 for the Encore Expressionist. As Dave Peck has done, a breakout panel to bring the jacks to the front makes the Expressionist a powerhouse.

See instructions for optional buffering the breakout at http://www.hotrodmotm.com/expr_panel.htm
BTG
Dave Peck wrote:
...also, I just noticed that the Oakley MIDI DAC module is available and in stock from Krisp1 right now, in both MU and MOTM/5U formats:

http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&p roducts_id=117

Looks nice but too deep for my case
Ricochet
LED-man wrote:
...midi-cv interface.

DIY project from sequencer.de
Projectlead: nordcore

where is the pcb available ?
Flareless
I hadn't seen this thread before and was surprised to find folks that used the PAiA MIDI2CV8 (9700K).

I've got my Dotcom Q174/175 combo but I also have my PAiA 9700K, re-panelled to MU format, which I sometimes find more useful.

Just a one-off and not my best work but it gets the job done beautifully!

The 9700K has a set of DIP switches which alter its capabilities including providing mode like One Voice, Two Voice and Four Voice as well as Duophonic and DIN Sync modes. This last converts MIDI clock signals to control voltages.

Oh... and it runs +/-15V.

Not the most glamourous of the interfaces out there and I don't know if I'd have thought about it had I not built the PAiA 9700 kit as my first modular build but the 9700K MIDI2CV8 is definitely an asset. I also really like the portable versions of the module pictured in earlier posts.

johny_gtr
I'm used to sending cv signal to my MU modular system from Kenton and Expert-Sleepers.

Kenton Pro-Solo
(+)
very stable, very good and simple UI. Very good support (maybe the best so far)

(-)
as a standard MIDI device will have some jitter/lags especially if you have a lot of midi devices connected to your audio interface

Expert Sleepers/Silent Way
(+)
4 channels, no midi problems with jitter/lags (I can create several layers of one melody without notes shifting artifacts), auto tuning
(-) some times after tuning works crazy, problems with re-triggering of legato notes, you need a PC.
RussiaZero23
Ill Add the Endorphins Shuttle Control to control your 5U.

It has 16 fully customizable outs with patch memory to change setups as you will. A very active manufacturer that updates and fixes bugs often.

You need a Computer to program but after that it runs standalone. can work with midi keyboards or USB or both at the same time. It has its own power supply to use stand alone from euro rack. It has Noise and LFO and EG.

I have been wanting 1 more so that I can have 32 cv outs. it may not be perfect but it is getting closer. Down size it 16 1/8" jacks need to be converted.
spinach_pizza
I'm awaiting delivery of a CV.OCD

https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/

Obviously it's not 5U (uses minijacks), but it's very inexpensive, it's programmable, and it has lots of gate outputs. I'm sure it could be repaneled by someone handy...
BTG
Somewhat surprised there isn't an obvious goto "Does all the important basic stuff" MIDI module for 5U -- on Euro side I have the Polyend POLY and Vermona Quad Midi setup and both are great. I much prefer having something in the cabinet so I don't have to find yet another plug.
burdij
BTG wrote:
Somewhat surprised there isn't an obvious goto "Does all the important basic stuff" MIDI module for 5U ... I much prefer having something in the cabinet so I don't have to find yet another plug.

The GMS-742a MIDI/CV Converter offers 4 pairs of CV/GATE outputs and MIDI clock output with a programmable scaler. A number of modes allow for 2 or 4 channel polyphonic operation as well as functioning as four separate outputs assigned to four MIDI channels. The new software version allows field upgrades to be downloaded by the user through an internal USB port. An expansion port will allow connection of a high resolution digital to analog helper module that adds 8 additional CV/GATE output pairs with 16 bit resolution.

An upgraded processor has additional program and data memory that implements new modes including an arpeggiator and internal low frequency oscillators.

GMS-742a MIDI/CV Converter
Just me
Another Encore Expressionist user. Nothing I have ever tried comes close. And as an added bonus, it outputs SYNC24 (DINSync) also.
josaka
the doepfer MCV24 has more options than the Encore Expressionist.. both are great.. I also have 2 kenton Pro 2 and a Pro 4.. which are rock solid.
beautyofdecay_
I converted the hexinverter MIDI2CV to 5U. With the latest firmware it adds a lot of functionality. And it has a dedicated clock out...

JohnLRice
For what it's worth since I don't think these were mentioned in this thread yet:

Pretty much unobtainable new for the last few years but there is the Modcan MIDICV 63 in both A and B formats. Maybe worth keeping an eye out for used? http://www.modcan.com/bmodules/midicv.html

And maybe with all the Mutable Instruments designs Free State FX has been porting over to MU format maybe they will do the impressive Yarns module at some point?
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/yarns/

Also:
Each part can generate sequences either through an arpeggiator/euclidean sequencer combo; or with a SH-101 style sequencer with step-by-step recording, storing up to 64 notes. The module can sync to an external MIDI clock, and generate a clock/reset output at any subdivisions of the MIDI clock.

… and even more advanced features

Other unique features include support for microtunings (either through standard MIDI messages or from a selection of historical tunings or indian ragas), just intonation, and an audio output mode which can transform one, two, or four of the CV outputs into simple digital oscillators.
Notron fn
I think I may head in the opposite direction. I have a cirklon with a 1/4” CVIO and I’m planning to build a modular around that.
josaka
surprised these have not come up.. my next midi cv thing for sure.
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/

for the money looks unbeatable..
spinach_pizza
josaka wrote:

see above
josaka
spinach_pizza wrote:
josaka wrote:

see above

smile it was too skinny and in my case not enough pictures ..obviously ! smile

looks a steal compared with all these other things though..
spinach_pizza
josaka wrote:
spinach_pizza wrote:
josaka wrote:

see above

smile it was too skinny and in my case not enough pictures ..obviously ! smile

looks a steal compared with all these other things though..

Yeah. It should be here any day. Can't wait to play with it!
ppkstat
JohnLRice wrote:

And maybe with all the Mutable Instruments designs Free State FX has been porting over to MU format maybe they will do the impressive Yarns module at some point?

I am currently building one for myself in MOTM. It is going to feature NKK LP pushbuttons and a black backround led display with black car window tint on top hihi

It is going to be ready around mid-January.
kvitekp
Here's a 5U MOTM format moduled based on Midi2CV Mk2 board. Lots of configuration options plus extra modulation sources (advanced LFO and AHDSR EG) controlled from external MIDI controller.

/Peter
dhergott1
kvitekp wrote:
Here's a 5U MOTM format moduled based on Midi2CV Mk2 board. Lots of configuration options plus extra modulation sources (advanced LFO and AHDSR EG) controlled from external MIDI controller.

/Peter

applause looks great.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 3