Elektron Analog 4 - A keeper?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

alexwhite
intrinsically linked

Elektron Analog 4 - A keeper?

Post by alexwhite » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:15 pm

There has been some 80 pages of A4 discussion from anticipation through to OS bug discussion here:

viewtopic.php?t=69920&postdays=0&postor ... on&start=0

But I thought it might be good to have something a little newer and more concise here for those interested in grabbing one - so any info a year on from its release?

Particularly interested in how people are using it with their modular?

cheers Alex

confusional
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by confusional » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm not sure how starting yet another thread on the same subject is going to convince anyone of anything. But to be super concise: the A4 is a total keeper. Or maybe it's not? :despair:

Just like every other piece of gear out there, it depends on your needs and wants and budget and if you find the interface pleasing. And this being Muffwiggler, pretty much everyone who has used it, has connected it to their modular systems in one way or another.

alexwhite
intrinsically linked

Post by alexwhite » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:19 pm

confusional wrote:I'm not sure how starting yet another thread on the same subject is going to convince anyone of anything. But to be super concise: the A4 is a total keeper. Or maybe it's not? :despair:

Just like every other piece of gear out there, it depends on your needs and wants and budget and if you find the interface pleasing. And this being Muffwiggler, pretty much everyone who has used it, has connected it to their modular systems in one way or another.
Well I guess having trawled 80 pages of the other thread it was pretty hard to get a clear view of peoples experience of it. Thanks for your generous and insightful input though - you've been a great help! :tu:

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:06 am

Total keeper. It's 4 great synths. It's a great sequencer. CV outs. Quality effects. Wonderful control over the details makes for a tweaker's delight. Does great drums. Very portable. Good price point. Upgradable.
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.
Polyphony is overrated.
------------------------------------------
Tribal/Electronic/Industrial
www.ivardensphere.com

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:42 am

New OS soon gives 4000 sounds

Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:06 am

I have had mine for 7 months, intend to keep it for years to come.

marcomoreno
Common Wiggler

Post by marcomoreno » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:11 am

Polyphonic mode will be there with the next OS update. This update is planed for later this month :hyper: :tu:

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 am

alexwhite wrote:
Well I guess having trawled 80 pages of the other thread it was pretty hard to get a clear view of peoples experience of it. Thanks for your generous and insightful input though - you've been a great help! :tu:
yeah, kind of sounds like any piece if new gear that's got any sort of depth--but surely you're as informed as anyone now? Confusional gave a straightforward reply; no need to be a wanker.

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:44 pm

i think theres going to be more than poly and +drive on the next OS update due thrusday but i dont know what, but im really excited. i think the A4 is definitely a keeper especially if you have a modular

mbleming
Common Wiggler

Post by mbleming » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:10 pm

The Analog Four is a keeper for me as well...I'm always surprised how good the effects are on this thing...they really sound nice for non outboard (to my ears anyway). I sold my Monomachine to fund it, and while I love my A4, I still do miss the MnM and it's digital wackiness. All that being said, the combo of sequencer, synths and drums (Daren's pack is really amazing) combine for a really fun/versatile instrument with a small footprint. I bring mine to work all the time and jam out in my car (with a battery pack)...you can really create entire tracks just on this alone. Really fun...a keeper!!

cosmicdrone
1-Post Wiggler

Post by cosmicdrone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:02 am

marcomoreno wrote:Polyphonic mode will be there with the next OS update. This update is planed for later this month :hyper: :tu:
4000 sounds and poly mode makes the A4 a keeper for sure! Looks like it will be an X-mas gift for all who own one. :mrgreen:

alexwhite
intrinsically linked

Post by alexwhite » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:10 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
alexwhite wrote:
yeah, kind of sounds like any piece if new gear that's got any sort of depth--but surely you're as informed as anyone now? Confusional gave a straightforward reply; no need to be a wanker.
No there isn't is there? Confusional made an argument that if accepted would negate the worth of about 90% of the discussion on Muffs. It seemed like a pretty patronising response to a fairly reasonable line of enquiry.

Thanks to everyone else for posting!

Iromeku
Common Wiggler

Post by Iromeku » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:09 am

I'm using it as my only sequencer/mixer/fx box at the moment. I quite like it and think it's great that Elektron have released it. I am however playing with the idea of replacing it with Rene/PP and a couple of stomp boxes. Like all gear, it depends on your needs.

zahush76
Common Wiggler

Post by zahush76 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:19 am

I'm listening to this sound pack and i'm saying, yes, it's a keeper. It starts with some "banal" sounds, but after that he gets to really interesting territory. One of the brilliant sounds is where he manages to make the a4 sound like an acoustic guitar (around 6:40), and the rest is also great:

[video][/video]

fredguy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fredguy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:01 am

Had it for a few months and never got along with it. Too much menu
diving for me. The sounds were ok but I like the sounds I get from the
modular much better. For some reason the a4 always sounded thin to me.
"I drink gin, and once, when drinking gin, I made a large man cry." Bill Murray

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I have an A4 and I have had synths requiring menu diving and I have to say that as Synths go the A4 is relatively menu-lyte
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:15 pm

I had the same problem I've had with all the Elektron boxes... cool sequencers and interface, not crazy about the overall sound (reminds me of an 80's Roland synth but without the nice filter). It's definitely a keeper if you like the basic tone of it. The CV control alone made it hard for me to sell. The FX are much improved over the MachineDrum. Actually kind of sad it's gone now that they've finally instituted the poly mode. :waah: Not quite ballsy enough for me as a mono, but I bet it sounds pretty cool as a poly.

feltrav
1-Post Wiggler

Post by feltrav » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:03 am

It has a great sound. P-Lock makes it incredibly versatile. As a synth it does what it does uniquely - the filtering is extremely flexible. It really is a musical instrument, not a content delivery device.

Beyond that, it just comes down to if it works for what you are doing.

Can't wait for the upgrade - +Drive and Polyphony is an awesome upgrade.

REwire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REwire » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:18 pm

The OS 1.1 Update is ready! Poly here I come! This is the reason I bought the A4 and it's a keeper!

Not Sure what +Drive is. Is it an add on drive or use of the A4's internal memory?

Dan

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm

^ +drive is already in every A4/AK. OS 1.1 will give you access to it. allows you to store way more sounds

jpenca
Common Wiggler

Post by jpenca » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:05 pm

the update shows that it's not only a keeper but a grower :sb:

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:07 pm

The sounds seem way fatter now too!

marcomoreno
Common Wiggler

Post by marcomoreno » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Great news. My A4 is coming tomorrow :yay:

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:34 pm

I just downloaded the new OS and the sound has definitely improved.

Costo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Costo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:25 pm

And the new project and sounds managers are amazing !

It's definitely become a much better groovebox since 1.1...

Haven't even tested the poly mode nor the multimap yet, but it's such an improvement on an already great synth that it feels like a brand new machine !

Return to “General Gear”